• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

God gives life with the first breath

vergiss said:
Genesis 2:7: "And the Lord God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul..........."

If the Breath of Life is literal, and not a metaphor, then how could God have been alive to create everything, given that there was no aptesphere before the beginning for Him to breath, and thus become alive?

If God is eternal, having no beginning and no end, yet worlds do have a beginning and an end, then the foundation of life must be something other than breathing.

If the Breath of Life is literal, and not a metaphor, then since God is alive, does this mean that God needs to breath? What would happen to Him if he could not breath? Would God die? Not being of the flesh, His 'death' would not be the physical death that you and I face, but the "Final Death"; which is the separation from God.

......so, if God could not breath, He would be separated from Himself?

I always wondered what would happen if God went insane.

Last edited:
Jerry said:
If the Breath of Life is literal, and not a metaphor, then how could God have been alive to create everything, given that there was no aptesphere before the beginning for Him to breath, and thus become alive?

If God is eternal, having no beginning and no end, yet worlds do have a beginning and an end, then the foundation of life must be something other than breathing.

If the Breath of Life is literal, and not a metaphor, then since God is alive, does this mean that God needs to breath? What would happen to Him if he could not breath? Would God die? Not being of the flesh, His 'death' would not be the physical death that you and I face, but the "Final Death"; which is the separation from God.

......so, if God could not breath, He would be separated from Himself?

I always wondered what would happen if God went insane.

This thread is for those of us with a faith to debate about the religious and spiritual aspects of abortion. Kindly don't hijack it with your "if God exists, then why..." crap. Take it to an appropriate thread.

vergiss said:
This thread is for those of us with a faith to debate about the religious and spiritual aspects of abortion. Kindly don't hijack it with your "if God exists, then why..." crap. Take it to an appropriate thread.
Please quote where I said "if God exists, then why...".

I don't know where you got the impression that I do not have faith in God.

Can I ask a favor Vergiss....can you lose the attitude for a few posts so we can see the real you instead ogf this angry facade you present? Talk like a human being rather than a Tasmanian devil. I think conversations would go further--and they would most definately be more pleasant.

Now...have you looked up the word rhua? What have you found? I don't know Hebrew and it is my understanding that many Jewish people study it or pick up stuff from family...Do you have any info?

Last edited:
Jerry said:
Please quote where I said "if God exists, then why...".

I don't know where you got the impression that I do not have faith in God.

Do you?

Angry facade, Felicity? :lol: Gee, if I seem aggressive to you, you obviously have a very small tolerance for debate. I don't speak Hebrew, I know barely a word of it... much less know how to read it. I've tried looking it up, but you do realise Hebrew uses a different alphabet, right?

If you want, I can email my rabbi. I should have a reply by tomorrow.

vergiss said:
Angry facade, Felicity? :lol: Gee, if I seem aggressive to you, you obviously have a very small tolerance for debate.
Wel...I'm more looking for debate that is conversational rather than the biting and spitting that happens fairly often. I'd prefer "discussion" to "digs" and "diatribes."

I don't speak Hebrew, I know barely a word of it... much less know how to read it. I've tried looking it up, but you do realise Hebrew uses a different alphabet, right?
I know very little about it--almost nothing.

If you want, I can email my rabbi. I should have a reply by tomorrow.
That would be cool. What are you going to ask? I mean--how will you word it?

Felicity said:
Wel...I'm more looking for debate that is conversational rather than the biting and spitting that happens fairly often. I'd prefer "discussion" to "digs" and "diatribes."

What digs and diatribes were in my previous two posts?

Felicity said:
That would be cool. What are you going to ask? I mean--how will you word it?

I will say that I'm in the middle of a debate, and would like to know what "ruah" means - and that I only know the English spelling.

vergiss said:
What digs and diatribes were in my previous two posts?
I was speaking in general--not to your posts specifically on that comment--and I was going for a cute alliteration thing. in general...you kinda have a negative feisty tone...That's my unsolicited critique...

I will say that I'm in the middle of a debate, and would like to know what "ruah" means - and that I only know the English spelling.
Would you ask him the "life question" too--as it relates to those "breath" verses you cited? I'd be interested in what he says.

Felicity said:
Would you ask him the "life question" too--as it relates to those "breath" verses you cited? I'd be interested in what he says.

Well, I have already spoken to him about abortion before and his opinion is that abortion is often necessary, but shouldn't be performed without sound reason - which is pretty much my thoughts exactly. I've heard of girls having repeated abortions because they're too stupid to use contraception and have been rather tempted to slap them...

vergiss said:
Well, I have already spoken to him about abortion before and his opinion is that abortion is often necessary, but shouldn't be performed without sound reason - which is pretty much my thoughts exactly. I've heard of girls having repeated abortions because they're too stupid to use contraception and have been rather tempted to slap them...
I understand the Jewish faith has specific assertions concerning abortion and what is justified and I don't think the "cut off" is conception like it is in my religion...but the "breath" thing is new to me. I've heard "blood"--but not "breath" so that is why I'm curious.

oh...and on the other topic...your sig line and "Mwahahaha!" sorta tilt toward that "negative feisty" thing I was talking about. ;) :mrgreen:

Felicity said:
oh...and on the other topic...your sig line and "Mwahahaha!" sorta tilt toward that "negative feisty" thing I was talking about. ;) :mrgreen:

I like to view it as cynical sarcasm. :mrgreen:

Saline Injection Abortion:

Dilation & Evacuation abortions have largely replaced the saline variety). Their extreme risk to the mother has removed them from common practice today. In saline abortions, done after the 16th week, a large needle is inserted through the woman's abdominal wall and into the baby’s amniotic sac. A concentrated salt solution is injected into the amniotic fluid resulting in acute hypernatremia or acute salt poisoning. The baby breathes in and swallows the solution and is usually dead within a couple hours. Dehydration, hemorrhaging of the brain, organ failure, and burned skin also contribute to the fetus' demise. The mother generally goes into labor the next day and delivers a dead baby.

http://abortionismurder.org/HTML/I-A-3-techniques.html

Sounds like these babies die a violent death. Yeah, let's support that.

Mark A Shrider said:

I don't. Now, go away.

Hey vergiss--did you ever contact your rabbi?

The whole dust thing freaks me out, cuz I'm allergic. Otherwise, yeah... I believe. And before any nay-sayers come to attack: I don't care what you think. Nyah.

Mark A Shrider said:
Saline Injection Abortion:

Dilation & Evacuation abortions have largely replaced the saline variety).
No kidding! yes, this method is outmoded and antiquated. Wonder why you are rtrying to make it an issue? lets argue about the dangers of buggy wips as a reason why people should walk, right?

Huh? It is ancient, and there are no babies. You are spewing irtrelevant, hyperbolic claptrap.

Would you care to deal with pertinent and meaningful stuff instead of showing yourself an emotional and histrionic fundie nut?

vergiss said:
I don't. Now, go away.

That's it? That's your argument? You don't like my use of sarcasm so you just want to dismiss the rest of my valid argument? Nice...

Back
Top Bottom