• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

God Doesn't Care If You Smoke Weed; Pastors Focus On Decriminalizing Unjust Drug Laws

66gardeners

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
A network of pastors is speaking out against the so-called "war on drugs" and the devastating effect it has had, particularly on the black community.

At a conference called "View from the Pulpit: Faith Leaders and Drug Decriminalization," held at American Baptist College in Nashville, religious leaders focused on the moral injustice of the drug laws, rather than the morality of drugs themselves.

In a press release released in advance of the conference, potential attendees were reminded that African-Americans comprise only 13 percent of the U.S. population and 13 percent of drug users. Yet, they make up 38 percent of those arrested for drug law violations and 59 percent of those convicted of drug law violations

God Doesn't Care If You Smoke Weed; Pastors Focus On Decriminalizing Unjust Drug Laws

Re: God Doesn't Care If You Smoke Weed; Pastors Focus On Decriminalizing Unjust Drug

Hell, jesus would've smoked weed if it would've been common in the middle east at the time. Booze was more popular so that's what he did.

Re: God Doesn't Care If You Smoke Weed; Pastors Focus On Decriminalizing Unjust Drug

Interesting.

Smoking weed is more malum prohibitum than mala-in-se, to be sure. There is no obvious prohibition on it Bibilically. There are many cautions about drunkenness, and strong condemnation of habitual drunkenness (alcholism, alcohol addiction), which I think could apply to heavy users... but one could indeed question whether the overall effects of the WoD is a moral good or a moral negative.

Personally I'd like to see us give legalization a try... the WoD obviously has not produced the desired results, instead enhancing the profits of illegal and violent cartels and expanding police powers and stuffing our prisons to bursting with nonviolent offenders...

Hell, jesus would've smoked weed if it would've been common in the middle east at the time. Booze was more popular so that's what he did.

Wine actually. :)

With many Biblical cautions about partaking to excess...

Genesis 1:29 said:
And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

True story.

Interesting.

Smoking weed is more malum prohibitum than mala-in-se, to be sure. There is no obvious prohibition on it Bibilically. There are many cautions about drunkenness, and strong condemnation of habitual drunkenness (alcholism, alcohol addiction), which I think could apply to heavy users... but one could indeed question whether the overall effects of the WoD is a moral good or a moral negative.

Personally I'd like to see us give legalization a try... the WoD obviously has not produced the desired results, instead enhancing the profits of illegal and violent cartels and expanding police powers and stuffing our prisons to bursting with nonviolent offenders...

It could be that the cautions about alcohol in the bible are there because alcohol causes more problems than weed when taken in excess.

It could be that the cautions about alcohol in the bible are there because alcohol causes more problems than weed when taken in excess.

That is a good point. There are some people who get paranoid and weird on weed, but most people are pretty passive. Back when I was in LE I noted that stoners were usually pretty easy to deal with, but some drunks were convinced they were Chuck Norris and bulletproof...

That is a good point. There are some people who get paranoid and weird on weed, but most people are pretty passive. Back when I was in LE I noted that stoners were usually pretty easy to deal with, but some drunks were convinced they were Chuck Norris and bulletproof...

When I was young, and adventurous, I gave weed a try every now and then. I hated it. I was one of those who became paranoid on it. Fortuntely, it just put me to sleep, so I was a harmless paranoid. :lol:

Galatians 5:19-21 addresses this issue

19 Now, the effects of the corrupt nature are obvious: illicit sex, perversion, promiscuity, 20 idolatry, drug use, hatred, rivalry, jealousy, angry outbursts, selfish ambition, conflict, factions, 21 envy, drunkenness, wild partying, and similar things. I’ve told you in the past and I’m telling you again that people who do these kinds of things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Galatians 5:19-21 addresses this issue

19 Now, the effects of the corrupt nature are obvious: illicit sex, perversion, promiscuity, 20 idolatry, drug use, hatred, rivalry, jealousy, angry outbursts, selfish ambition, conflict, factions, 21 envy, drunkenness, wild partying, and similar things. I’ve told you in the past and I’m telling you again that people who do these kinds of things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

New American Bible says: Now the works of the flesh are obvious: immorality, impurity, licentiousness, idolatry, sorcery, hatreds, rivalry, jealousy, outbursts of fury, acts of selfishness, dissensions, factions, occasions of envy, drinking bouts, orgies, and the like.

I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

From God's perspective, drunkenness and drug use are really the same thing...anything that takes you away from awareness of God's will and in to unconsciousness (that is, lack of awareness of God's will, or ignoring it) is wrong.

I think it is possible to have a drink now and again, and feel warm and good, without risking losing awareness of God. Same thing goes for pot and other drugs, though with some drugs it's pretty hard to know where the line is (heroin, coke, painkillers, etc.)

When I was young, and adventurous, I gave weed a try every now and then. I hated it. I was one of those who became paranoid on it. Fortuntely, it just put me to sleep, so I was a harmless paranoid. :lol:

The cause of most drug paranoia is a drop in blood sugar. You suddenly feel the drop, and your mind overreacts and makes you feel scared, and thus paranoid.

Have something to eat before you smoke again.

You're welcome.

Everytime people come over I have to refill my fridge. Much more expansive than cleaning up vomit.

New American Bible says: Now the works of the flesh are obvious: immorality, impurity, licentiousness, idolatry, sorcery, hatreds, rivalry, jealousy, outbursts of fury, acts of selfishness, dissensions, factions, occasions of envy, drinking bouts, orgies, and the like.

I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

From God's perspective, drunkenness and drug use are really the same thing...anything that takes you away from awareness of God's will and in to unconsciousness (that is, lack of awareness of God's will, or ignoring it) is wrong.

I think it is possible to have a drink now and again, and feel warm and good, without risking losing awareness of God. Same thing goes for pot and other drugs, though with some drugs it's pretty hard to know where the line is (heroin, coke, painkillers, etc.)

Again, I refer you to Genesis 1:29

"And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat."

There are others, but the general gist is he made it, and saw that it was good ;)

Well, if one is a Christian, one has to assume that the properties of the herb marijuana are no surprise to the Creator.

Of course, moderation is always strongly advisable, especially in any kind of recreational comsumable. Personally I think the reason alcoholism is strongly condemned is because when anything takes center-stage in your life, displacing the more important things (God, moral and responsible behavior, family, etc) then it becomes a form of idolatry and a very serious state of sin.

Makes me the exact opposite, calms me right down.

Not that I would know :lol:

The cause of most drug paranoia is a drop in blood sugar. You suddenly feel the drop, and your mind overreacts and makes you feel scared, and thus paranoid.

Have something to eat before you smoke again.

You're welcome.

Lol- this old dog ain't going back there again. I have enough trouble functioning in the world as it is. :lol:

Again, I refer you to Genesis 1:29

"And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat."

There are others, but the general gist is he made it, and saw that it was good ;)

Doesn't heroin come from an herbal seed?

Doesn't heroin come from an herbal seed?

Poppy seeds I think. Glad I'm not a Christian, I'd have a hard time defending that one :D

Poppy seeds I think. Glad I'm not a Christian, I'd have a hard time defending that one :D

I'm thinking I should take up some type of South American ritualistic religion. ;)

A network of pastors is speaking out against the so-called "war on drugs" and the devastating effect it has had, particularly on the black community.

At a conference called "View from the Pulpit: Faith Leaders and Drug Decriminalization," held at American Baptist College in Nashville, religious leaders focused on the moral injustice of the drug laws, rather than the morality of drugs themselves.

In a press release released in advance of the conference, potential attendees were reminded that African-Americans comprise only 13 percent of the U.S. population and 13 percent of drug users. Yet, they make up 38 percent of those arrested for drug law violations and 59 percent of those convicted of drug law violations

Never mind the moral injustice imposed upon us by the man made God of religion.

Take responsibility for your own addiction, don't try to hide behind the Bible.

Take responsibility for your own addiction, don't try to hide behind the Bible.

The Bible is an addiction for the feeble-minded. It is an escape from reality no different than any other addiction.

Interesting.

God hates the use of substances when the use leads to sinful behavior.

The Bible is an addiction for the feeble-minded. It is an escape from reality no different than any other addiction.

No it isn't. To me it leads to moderation of behavior when taken as a whole. Fanatical behavior occurs when one over-focuses on narrow passages/lessons/precepts.

No it isn't. To me it leads to moderation of behavior when taken as a whole. Fanatical behavior occurs when one over-focuses on narrow passages/lessons/precepts.

Why the need for the hocus pocus? Moderation is not a supernatural epiphany.

Back
Top Bottom