• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

(W:#933)God and Science

You can't get something from nothing, it doesn't make sense. And science is about making sense of everything.
But we don't know that it came from nothing. We also don't know it came from something. We just don't know.

We don't know what the origin of gravity was. We don't know why time passes. We don't know what happens at the center of black holes. And that's ok. It wasn't that long ago that we didn't even know radio waves existed at all, or that there were stars beyond ours. Maybe one day we will make sense of it, but as of right now we just don't know.

Do you believe if there's a God that this supreme being is the author of all science? It would seem that the supreme intelligence would still have to do the work for things to make sense to him and everyone else.
why even study the sciences when religion has ALLLLLL of the answers.

10yr old: Why did grandpa have cancer?
DAD: The doctors dont know why.
Mom: Everything happens for a reason
10yr old: mom, why did god do this to grandpa?

There's always an answer. It say it right there in the buybull

But we don't know that it came from nothing. We also don't know it came from something. We just don't know.

We don't know what the origin of gravity was. We don't know why time passes. We don't know what happens at the center of black holes. And that's ok. It wasn't that long ago that we didn't even know radio waves existed at all, or that there were stars beyond ours. Maybe one day we will make sense of it, but as of right now we just don't know.

It's kind of amazing that consciousness and intellect emerged from inert materials?

why even study the sciences when religion has ALLLLLL of the answers.

10yr old: Why did grandpa have cancer?
DAD: The doctors dont know why.
Mom: Everything happens for a reason
10yr old: mom, why did god do this to grandpa?

There's always an answer. It say it right there in the buybull

You sure seem to have all the answers.

It's kind of amazing that consciousness and intellect emerged from inert materials?
I mean yeah, it is fun to think about. But that isn't emerging from nothing.

god is almost certainly a product of the human imagination.

But if you believers ever stumble upon some actual credible or compelling evidence to prove that it exists, like my man Tice said ... "Bring it"...

Do you believe if there's a God that this supreme being is the author of all science? It would seem that the supreme intelligence would still have to do the work for things to make sense to him and everyone else.

I don't believe that there's a god. So if you're going to make up a story about a god, you get to decide whether your made-up god is "the author of all science."

I mean yeah, it is fun to think about. But that isn't emerging from nothing.

Before the singularity, scientists theorize there was nothing.

Can science make sense of “God”?

God is everything and everyone so in the end, I believe the source will be revealed but probably not figured out by human-derived science before.

I don't believe that there's a god. So if you're going to make up a story about a god, you get to decide whether your made-up god is "the author of all science."

That's a logical deduction.

Before the singularity, scientists theorize there was nothing.
There are a lot of theories. Some quantum physicists say that time didn't exist before the big bang; there was no 'before.' I saw one newer theory that time was running backwards and matter was heading towards order instead of entropy.

Even if the pervasive theory was that there was 'nothing' before the big bang, I don't find an intelligent creator a particularly compelling answer.

Edit:
I just wanted to add that if you don't have a problem with the idea of a god existing for an infinite amount of time, the idea that the universe existing for an infinite amount of time with no beginning.

Last edited:
There are a lot of theories. Some quantum physicists say that time didn't exist before the big bang; there was no 'before.' I saw one newer theory that time was running backwards and matter was heading towards order instead of entropy.

Even if the pervasive theory was that there was 'nothing' before the big bang, I don't find an intelligent creator a particularly compelling answer.

Edit:
I just wanted to add that if you don't have a problem with the idea of a god existing for an infinite amount of time, the idea that the universe existing for an infinite amount of time with no beginning.

The singularity, which contained all matter, energy, space, and time, may be God with no beginning or end, or part of an infinite energy source? As you say, we don't know.

Prove it.

I'm not the prover, just a voice in the wilderness.

The singularity, which contained all matter, energy, space, and time, may be God with no beginning or end, or part of an infinite energy source? As you say, we don't know.
I agree, it certainly could be god. My point is that since we don't know it isn't really meaningful either way. To me asking if there is a god is like asking if we live in a simulation. It's interesting to think about, but there is no reason for me to start living as though it is all a simulation.

Maybe science was created by a god, but since I have no reason to believe it was, and I believe science can exist with a god and without a god, I live as though it wasn't created by a god.

I agree, it certainly could be god. My point is that since we don't know it isn't really meaningful either way. To me asking if there is a god is like asking if we live in a simulation. It's interesting to think about, but there is no reason for me to start living as though it is all a simulation.

Maybe science was created by a god, but since I have no reason to believe it was, and I believe science can exist with a god and without a god, I live as though it wasn't created by a god.

If there is a God, who's the source of life, maybe He wanted us to focus on our existence and not some outward manifestation of Himself? Without the ability to analyze and deduce things, we would just be instinctive animals.

Religion and science have almost nothing in common and should be kept apart.

If there is a God, who's the source of life, maybe He wanted us to focus on our existence and not some outward manifestation of Himself? Without the ability to analyze and deduce things, we would just be instinctive animals.
That is totally possible. It's also possible that we were created in a simulation by an advanced species and we are all part of a computer program. That IS possible. But we don't have any proof for either, so while they could be true I live as though they aren't for the time being.

nope

I'm not the prover, just a voice in the wilderness.

Not interested in your particular myths.

That is totally possible. It's also possible that we were created in a simulation by an advanced species and we are all part of a computer program. That IS possible. But we don't have any proof for either, so while they could be true I live as though they aren't for the time being.

For now, I think we're not supposed to know because it would be too disruptive. Look at what people already do with religion. If you love life, then you have all the belief that is necessary because God is life. Religion is for those who need a little more faith and hope than others.

For now, I think we're not supposed to know because it would be too disruptive. Look at what people already do with religion. If you love life, then you have all the belief that is necessary because God is life. Religion is for those who need a little more faith and hope than others.
That's an interesting way of looking at it. I know there were a number of scientists that saw themselves as simply exploring God's creation.

Myth.

That's an interesting way of looking at it. I know there were a number of scientists that saw themselves as simply exploring God's creation.

“The more I study science, the more I believe in God.” ~Einstein

Uh-Huh.

I'll tell you a little secret, you are God in a limited form. He exists in everyone.

“The more I study science, the more I believe in God.” ~Einstein
Yeah Einstein definitely one of the people I was talking about.
I'll tell you a little secret, you are God in a limited form. He exists in everyone.
Well, (I'm assuming) him and I are both Atheists. So we don't believe that. I personally believe are just accidents of the universe.

Back
Top Bottom