• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gobekli Tepe: The World's First Civilization?

PoS

Minister of Love
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Gobekli Tepe - 6000 years older than Stonehenge - World Mysteries Blog
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Göbekli_Tepe

OWxfHS9.jpg
Uhggjwr.jpg

Predating Stonehenge by 6,000 years, Turkey’s stunning Gobekli Tepe upends the conventional view of the rise of civilization

Located 35 miles north of Turkey’s border with Syria, Gobekli Tepe consists of 20 T-shaped stone towers, carved with drawings of snakes, scorpions, lions, boars, foxes and other animals.

The amazing thing about them is they date back to 9,500 BC, 5,500 years before the first cities of Mesopotamia and 7,000 years before the circle of Stonehenge.

Scientists say that back then humans hadn’t even discovered pottery or domesticated wheat. They lived in villages, had no agriculture and only relied on hunting to survive.

Fascinating. And only 5% of the site has been excavated too. But sadly, unless the archaeologists discover some form of writing (it would be doubtful that any neolithic civilization would have any form of writing- Stonehenge and Carnac certainly didnt), we will probably never know much about this ancient mystery. Nevertheless I hope they keep at it. :cool:

OWxfHS9.jpg
Uhggjwr.jpg

Fascinating. And only 5% of the site has been excavated too. But sadly, unless the archaeologists discover some form of writing (it would be doubtful that any neolithic civilization would have any form of writing- Stonehenge and Carnac certainly didnt), we will probably never know much about this ancient mystery. Nevertheless I hope they keep at it. :cool:

Great topic, I've spent a lot of time wiki-diving on this subject. The idea that we had a large settled community so far before any others are recorded is extraordinary to me. It makes me wonder if this is unique or if we simply lack the archeological record for an accurate picture of when human settlement and civilized communities really developed.

OWxfHS9.jpg
Uhggjwr.jpg

Wow! Before agriculture, before the wheel, pottery, any sort of metal, humans built what is most likely a temple to their gods out of stone. Amazing. What a shame they didn't leave any sort of writing behind.

OWxfHS9.jpg
Uhggjwr.jpg

Personally, I kind of have to wonder if there might not be even older sites out there either still waiting to be found, or possibly lost forever due to other circumstances. A lot of costal land was flooded at the end of the last ice age, for example, which would have made for "prime real estate" for any up and coming primitive civilization around at the time.

1396726823.jpg

They have ways to learn about old civilizations without a written record.
What they ate, how they lived, ect. but that is an old site.
If they find any tombs, it could shed a lot more info.

They have ways to learn about old civilizations without a written record.
What they ate, how they lived, ect. but that is an old site.
If they find any tombs, it could shed a lot more info.

True, but in order to learn a civilization's culture, beliefs, myths, history, people, events, etc. you do need written records that can be deciphered. Take the Minoans for example, we have yet to decipher their writings so even though we've excavated their palaces and stuff we don't really know who they are or what happened to them.

Great topic, I've spent a lot of time wiki-diving on this subject. The idea that we had a large settled community so far before any others are recorded is extraordinary to me. It makes me wonder if this is unique or if we simply lack the archeological record for an accurate picture of when human settlement and civilized communities really developed.

The theories about this place is pretty cool: apparently they say that the invention of granaries may have evolved from this site. If that is indeed true, then it may very well be the birthplace of civilization as we know since storing grains would be extremely important in order to expand the population of a settlement, since it would minimize the hunting and gathering aspect.

Personally, I kind of have to wonder if there might not be even older sites out there either still waiting to be found, or possibly lost forever due to other circumstances. A lot of costal land was flooded at the end of the last ice age, for example, which would have made for "prime real estate" for any up and coming primitive civilization around at the time.

1396726823.jpg

I know one guy was trying to prove the existence of Eden and he believed it to be in the Gulf of Basra.
Not sure if I believe him, but it was a good story and speculating is sometimes fun.

Back
Top Bottom