• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GM closing plants and cutting workers

calamity

Privileged
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Centrist
MAGA certainly has not improved anything for the average worker. But, most of us knew that already, which is why we didn't fall for Trump's bull****.

GM is reinventing itself, cutting 15% of its salaried workers

General Motors announced a major restructuring of its global business, shutting production at five facilities in North America and slashing its staff. GM said it will reduce its salaried workforce by 15%, including a quarter of the company's executives.

The moves are the first big steps in the century-old GM's transformation. It is closing facilities and reinvesting money away from cars that once dominated roadways and to technology that the company believes will power its future.

Translation: Those jobs really are never coming back. Obama knew it, and he was honest enough to tell you so. Trump not so much.

MAGA certainly has not improved anything for the average worker. But, most of us knew that already, which is why we didn't fall for Trump's bull****.

GM is reinventing itself, cutting 15% of its salaried workers

Translation: Those jobs really are never coming back. Obama knew it, and he was honest enough to tell you so. Trump not so much.

Don't be so quick to judgement. If president Trump manages to change these theft trade agreements we have to fair trade, US auto makers could make a grand comeback.

IF however, if a very big word.

The market appears to like GM's move. Auto manufacturing is moving into new ground tech wise with regard to design and production. We're printing motorcycles now. It won't be long before we're doing much more than just motorcycles, and the labor market is bound to reflect the effort toward such advances.

The market appears to like GM's move. Auto manufacturing is moving into new ground tech wise with regard to design and production. We're printing motorcycles now. It won't be long before we're doing much more than just motorcycles, and the labor market is bound to reflect the effort toward such advances.

B..b..but Trump promised coal mining jobs!

Which is the same thing as saying "those jobs are not coming back". Those jobs that do result from these technology shifts are not the assembly line jobs of the past and there will not be as many of them either.

Take Trucks, SUV's and panel vans away from the American Auto Industry and you don't have much of an American Auto Industry left. Fleet sales to car rental agencies make up a big part of what is left. Now some Americans hardly see anything but a pickup truck on their roads. I would invite that crew to tell how many traffic jams of pickup trucks they see.

The American Auto industry has been just about driven from the field of your basic car market, family or otherwise. American Auto makers are betting big on hybrids and electric cars because they don't have a choice. Will that bet pay off? Who knows. But they clearly don't have a choice.

As usual a Trump basher FAILS to mention that the plant is in Canada.

Four of the five plants being closed are in the US.

Which is the same thing as saying "those jobs are not coming back". Those jobs that do result from these technology shifts are not the assembly line jobs of the past and there will not be as many of them either.

I just read that most of the jobs cut are management jobs. The shift from production of traditional cars to other platforms won't happen without some restructuring, and the loss of a Cadillac plant is not catastrophic. In fact, the scrapping of Cadillac entirely is past due.

Take Trucks, SUV's and panel vans away from the American Auto Industry and you don't have much of an American Auto Industry left. Fleet sales to car rental agencies make up a big part of what is left. Now some Americans hardly see anything but a pickup truck on their roads. I would invite that crew to tell how many traffic jams of pickup trucks they see.

The American Auto industry has been just about driven from the field of your basic car market, family or otherwise. American Auto makers are betting big on hybrids and electric cars because they don't have a choice. Will that bet pay off? Who knows. But they clearly don't have a choice.

The shift is to more utilitarian vehicles powered by electricity. If we don't make such changes, the industry will in fact leave us behind. I don't know of many who want a full sized Buick anymore unless they're over 80. Truthfully, adapting to changing markets is essential, and the loss of some jobs should be expected. Other jobs will eventually open up as a result.

The other big bet for auto manufacturers would be self driving cars. But unless we actually do something about our crumbling infrastructure that bet would be pulling to an inside straight. Can you imagine bunches of self driving cars trying to drive around the broken landscape of our crumbling infrastructure? They would have better luck trying to navigate through a mine field in many parts of the country today.

And they weren't even one of the companies to insultingly dangle a one-time bonus 1/100th of the amount they gained from the tax cuts either, were they?

Yet again: We told you so

I just read that most of the jobs cut are management jobs. The shift from production of traditional cars to other platforms won't happen without some restructuring, and the loss of a Cadillac plant is not catastrophic. In fact, the scrapping of Cadillac entirely is past due.

The shift is to more utilitarian vehicles powered by electricity. If we don't make such changes, the industry will in fact leave us behind. I don't know of many who want a full sized Buick anymore unless they're over 80. Truthfully, adapting to changing markets is essential, and the loss of some jobs should be expected. Other jobs will eventually open up as a result.

The issue is that in too many instances, American Auto Manufacturers have been DRIVEN from markets that were theirs and there is no guarantees that they won't be punched out in the electric and hybrid markets either. Their track record is not very impressive in anything but the American male hormone driven truck and panel van markets.

The issue is that in too many instances, American Auto Manufacturers have been DRIVEN from markets that were theirs and there is no guarantees that they won't be punched out in the electric and hybrid markets either. Their track record is not very impressive in anything but the American male hormone driven truck and panel van markets.

I have trucks. At my age, hormones are hardly a problem. Light hauling is common in this country, and I expect pick up truck sales will continue to thrive even as the market changes. Full sized pickups are powered by relatively small, high efficiency diesels as often as not now, and I expect accelerated innovation on that front to include electrically powered small trucks soon. That's hardly a testosterone building platform, but it is efficient and utilitarian. It looks to me like growing a beard is the preferred hormonal demonstration these days, and not horsepower.

I have trucks. At my age, hormones are hardly a problem. Light hauling is common in this country, and I expect pick up truck sales will continue to thrive even as the market changes. Full sized pickups are powered by relatively small, high efficiency diesels as often as not now, and I expect accelerated innovation on that front to include electrically powered small trucks soon. That's hardly a testosterone building platform, but it is efficient and utilitarian. It looks to me like growing a beard is the preferred hormonal demonstration these days, and not horsepower.

None the less, American truck buyers are more inclined to buy an American truck and be more resistant to imports than American buyers of other vehicles by type. Frankly i don't give a rats behind if its male hormones or not but the advertising would certainly suggest male hormones are a factor. Truck marketing in America is the last bastion of the Marlboro Man.

As usual a Trump basher FAILS to mention that the plant is in Canada.

As usual a Trump devotee doesn't read the story that's all over the news.

Four of the five plants are in the United States of America. In this country we loving refer to Michigan, Maryland, and Ohio as states, not parts of Canada.

As usual a Trump devotee doesn't read the story that's all over the news.

Four of the five plants are in the United States of America. In this country we loving refer to Michigan, Maryland, and Ohio as states, not parts of Canada.

The question is, would these plants have closed anyway, or not. It's nice to blame problems on someone else.

The question is, would these plants have closed anyway, or not. It's nice to blame problems on someone else.

You tell me. Or maybe Trump can tell you, since he promised more American jobs manufacturing American cars. Surely he had the inside scoop that the rest of us can't.

You tell me. Or maybe Trump can tell you, since he promised more American jobs manufacturing American cars. Surely he had the inside scoop that the rest of us can't.

I really don't know, but what I noticed missing is any discussion of GM's health before president Trump. I'll bet GM was thinking about such things before the 2016 elections, because they never really recovered.

Don't you think it should be part of the discussion, or is this going to be just another senseless thread to bash someone?

None the less, American truck buyers are more inclined to buy an American truck and be more resistant to imports than American buyers of other vehicles by type. Frankly i don't give a rats behind if its male hormones or not but the advertising would certainly suggest male hormones are a factor. Truck marketing in America is the last bastion of the Marlboro Man.

The only foreign manufacturer that makes a 1/2 ton pickup truck worth a damn is Toyota, and it's made here. The rest of the world may not have an appetite for such trucks, but American made pickups are an essential element to daily life here. Plenty of doctors, lawyers, and other professionals own pickups these days. Your notion that only juiced up rednecks drive pickups is largely a dead stereotype.

I don't understand why the government doesn't get out of the way with all their regulations, requirements, and fees. It would make their vehicles less expensive to manufactory and reduce the sells prices or increase business revenues. Which would be good for the consumer. Instead we are forced into complying and we wonder why we see these types of unintended consequences.

I don't understand why the government doesn't get out of the way with all their regulations, requirements, and fees. It would make their vehicles less expensive to manufactory and reduce the sells prices or increase business revenues. Which would be good for the consumer. Instead we are forced into complying and we wonder why we see these types of unintended consequences.

I wouldn't want to roll regulations back past maybe around the year 2000 standards. We need reasonable regulations to keep the air quality good. If we could just make diesel as clean as we have gasoline, we would be in excellent shape.

I really don't know, but what I noticed missing is any discussion of GM's health before president Trump. I'll bet GM was thinking about such things before the 2016 elections, because they never really recovered.

Don't you think it should be part of the discussion, or is this going to be just another senseless thread to bash someone?

It depends on which discussion we are having. If it is a discussion of the American Auto Industry and what this says about it and its future then the general health of the American Auto Industry IS the discussion.

Frankly its not good. American auto design and manufacturing has always aimed at a value proposition. The American end of the auto industry can best be described as the Chevy within the international market. Well Chevy's can be fine but not if the market is moving toward less expensive vehicles that do essentially the same thing for less money or vehicles that redefine value in a more contemporary fashion or toward more costly vehicles that simply do more or offer more and that is in fact where the American Auto Industry has been now for decades. In other words the International auto market has been moving towards the ends of the spectrum and away from the middle for decades. The American Auto Industry has for the most part stubbornly remained right where it always has been. You can throw me into a new car with no badging, take my blindfold off and I will tell you in less than one minute if it's an American designed and built auto or not and I bet a number of posters here could do it as well. Therein lies the frustration of having bailed them out so often. They have not learned a darned thing!

If the discussion is more of a political discussion that is when one gets into a discussion of "jobs coming back". What kind of jobs...will people first be displaced which is not the same thing as "jobs coming back". Nobody thinks about jobs coming back within the context of first being displaced, possibly retrained and then make ones way back into the job market. If somebody claims jobs coming back everybody expects that to mean jobs like the jobs they have and have had returning.

American manufacturers (not just the auto industry) have to learn to innovate faster, and take it more seriously.

As to the male hormone/truck thing, more and more females are driving trucks for a variety of reasons.... so that appeal isn't exactly the thing anymore.

American manufacturers (not just the auto industry) have to learn to innovate faster, and take it more seriously.

As to the male hormone/truck thing, more and more females are driving trucks for a variety of reasons.... so that appeal isn't exactly the thing anymore.

Show me a woman going into a dealership to buy a NEW TRUCK and I will show you an anomaly.

I wouldn't want to roll regulations back past maybe around the year 2000 standards. We need reasonable regulations to keep the air quality good. If we could just make diesel as clean as we have gasoline, we would be in excellent shape.

I think you let the car manufacturing companies offer the different products, if people want to buy that clean diesel then they will choose to do so and IF they are selling a whole bunch of them then the company will prioritize it. If people don't buy the cheap junk car then the car company would stop selling them. Either way the clean nut and the cheap nut both benefit from getting the lower prices and more freedom to choose.

Back
Top Bottom