• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GM and Ford knew about climate change 50 years ago, energy trade publication has uncovered

99percenter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative

Scientists at two of America’s major automakers knew as early as the 1960s that car and truck emissions caused climate change, but internal research was stifled while funding to undermine environmental causes persisted, a months-long investigation by energy trade publication E&E News has found.

The environmental data kicked up the ranks inside General Motors Corp. GM, -2.74% and Ford Motor Co. F, -1.59% instead was parlayed into decades of political lobbying by the two car giants that undermined global attempts to reduce heat-trapping emissions. The two automakers in recent months joined a wave of corporations in setting zero-emissions target dates in the coming decades, while embracing rising customer demand for electric vehicles.

A GM scientist in the 1960s presented her findings to at least three high-level executives at the company, including a former chairman and CEO. It’s unclear whether similar warnings reached the top brass at Ford, the report said.

“We also know that certainly by the 1980s and 1990s, the auto industry was involved in efforts to undermine climate science and stop progress to address climate change,” Carroll Muffett, president and CEO of the Center for International Environmental Law, said in the piece. “But a different path was available.”

****ing assholes. I hope dems start fining them when they take over.

Of course they did.

And no the Dems can't do much about it except taxing the rich assholes in charge (who of course aren't the same people as 50 years ago, but that goes without saying).

I thought Ford was an underrated president. My grandmother just adored him. I wish she could've lived to see him as president (she died in 1969)

Global warming has been widespread public knowledge since the early 70's and conservatives have feared increasing government regulations to combat it ever since. Now the body of science has increased exponentially that proves it, yet conservatives still trot out the same tired denials they've been using for decades, not because climate change is not objectively happening, but because business-killing environmental catastrophes in the future are preferable to allowing the government to introduce regulation on American business that might reduce profit margins right now.

Back
Top Bottom