• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gluten Sensitivity Busted

I am reading this, and thinking about what foods I eat that are gluten free,(almost none),
and I remember corn tortillas from a local taco vendor are in fact gluten free.
This is making me hungry! :2razz:

Years ago a clinical scientist, Peter Gibson at Monash University in Australia, published a paper implying that there were lesser forms of gluten sensitivity that didn't produce full blown celiac disease but did result in a number of nonspecific gastrointestinal symptoms. Since then the concept has ballooned as a means of explaining all sorts of ill-defined ailments such that at this point 18% of Americans claim to be sensitive to gluten and avoiding gluten in foods has turned into a multi-billion dollar industry.

Meanwhile, that same scientist went back and repeated his study using more subjects and better controls. He ended up deciding that there is no such thing as non-celiac gluten sensitivity, not the way he originally described it.

My prediction is that this will have absolutely no effect on the anti-gluten industry or on the people who claim to have gluten sensitivity.

Scientists who found gluten sensitivity evidence have now shown it doesn't exist - ScienceAlert

If this study is about people that don't have celiac disease but still eat gluten free, I really don't care. They are the stupidest people on the planet.

I wouldn't wish this diet on my worst enemy.

I struggle every day to find things I can eat that won't hurt me. It is not easy.

I think I'd eat a bullet if the doc said, "No bread or dairy for you anymore!"

That is very close to the thought, but you have to survive, so you do.

I do, however, want to put a bullet in the head of the guy that drives past my house selling tasty donuts every day.

People should be restricted to caring about only what affects them?

It just has no effect on you or really anyone. If only hipsters want to burn their money on over-priced food effects no one else but them and does not cause anything bad to happen. If we got rid of everything that is a stupid waste of money there would not be much left to buy. We all indulge in buying stuff that we do not need.

If this study is about people that don't have celiac disease but still eat gluten free, I really don't care. They are the stupidest people on the planet.

I wouldn't wish this diet on my worst enemy.

I struggle every day to find things I can eat that won't hurt me. It is not easy.

Does the gluten-free trend not benefit you? It creates more options and makes things easier to find for you to buy.

It just has no effect on you or really anyone. If only hipsters want to burn their money on over-priced food effects no one else but them and does not cause anything bad to happen. If we got rid of everything that is a stupid waste of money there would not be much left to buy. We all indulge in buying stuff that we do not need.

Nobody cares that it exists, they care that there are these asshole food evangelists who not only want to eat it themselves, they want to push everyone else to eat it too, but have no clue what it is that they're talking about.

You are saying its complete rubbish meanwhile the scientist you quoted isn't saying that apparently... as per the bolded. Kind of vague.

And per your article:

Although experts estimate that only 1 percent of Americans - about 3 million people - actually suffer from celiac disease​

Now I've always contended that people were jumping on the band-wagon of claiming to have celiacs but that doesn't make celiacs not true.

That's not what is being said. Celiacs does exist and some folks suffer from it. What they are saying is that either you have it or you don't - there's no intermediate degree of gluten sensitivity. It's like when we first started to name and treat hyperactivity in children. All of a sudden every child in the universe had it and everyone was being given Ritalin.

That's not what is being said. Celiacs does exist and some folks suffer from it. What they are saying is that either you have it or you don't - there's no intermediate degree of gluten sensitivity. It's like when we first started to name and treat hyperactivity in children. All of a sudden every child in the universe had it and everyone was being given Ritalin.
There is a certain level of hypochondria in society.

I asked my doctor once his opinion on internet self-diagnosis. He shrugged and said, "It is what it is. Nothing I can do about it."

I think I'd eat a bullet if the doc said, "No bread or dairy for you anymore!"

If you were a teenager and your nards were slow to develop and no hair coming in you'd drop the bread in a red hot second.

I am reading this, and thinking about what foods I eat that are gluten free,(almost none),
and I remember corn tortillas from a local taco vendor are in fact gluten free.
This is making me hungry! :2razz:

Unfortunately, for celiac sufferers it's not that easy. The corn tort may be gluten free in itself, but you need to know how and where it was made (cross-contamination is a real thing for celiac folks) and where it is stored before use.

Unfortunately, for celiac sufferers it's not that easy. The corn tort may be gluten free in itself, but you need to know how and where it was made (cross-contamination is a real thing for celiac folks) and where it is stored before use.
Is this where some GMO defenders who say people shouldn't know what is in their food comes into play?

Back
Top Bottom