• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

global warming

Calm2Chaos said:
I think this has to do more with natural cycles then anything else. The only thing global warming does is make for good newspaper fodder
It's possible that this is indeed a natural cycle. but then according to ice cores drilled from Greenland, we are expereincing unprecedented high temperatures as well as unprecedented levels of CO2 in the atmosphere. It is very reasonable to attribute this to human contributions in industry and transportation. Another side affect is the slowing of the atlantic current - see "Day after tomorrow", surprisingly accurate with regards to the effects of higher temperatures. Though without the freak storm.

Here's another global phenomenon that governments at first denied any involvement in, that being the Ozone layers hole attop Antarctica.

jfuh said:
It's possible that this is indeed a natural cycle. but then according to ice cores drilled from Greenland, we are expereincing unprecedented high temperatures as well as unprecedented levels of CO2 in the atmosphere. It is very reasonable to attribute this to human contributions in industry and transportation. Another side affect is the slowing of the atlantic current - see "Day after tomorrow", surprisingly accurate with regards to the effects of higher temperatures. Though without the freak storm.

Here's another global phenomenon that governments at first denied any involvement in, that being the Ozone layers hole attop Antarctica.
"All of your brain, belongs to Hollywood!" :mrgreen: "How can their be inaccuracy in entertainment"-Micheal Moore

Yes, jfuh, could you please provide some substantial scientific evidence supporting the theories proposed in Day After Tomorrow?

The Real McCoy said:
Yes, jfuh, could you please provide some substantial scientific evidence supporting the theories proposed in Day After Tomorrow?
I figured that my post of the Day after tomorrow would result in exaclty this form of response.
http://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/01/s...tml?ex=1134968400&en=29d1675ca3126bad&ei=5070
THere's your link.
If you want the actual original scientific article:
http://sciencenow.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/full/2005/1130/1

Any more requests?

Oh friggin swell, yet another, "mankind means doom" thread. I've been a member a while folks, watched these threads come and go. So. I submit my prepared post. I think I've a few new facts to throw in here. But in short. We are all gonna die, and it's Bush's fault.

Since no one has put this out there yet. Consider the greatest influencer of the Earths temperature. The sun. And we have no control over that.

New: The Sun puts out 10% percent more energy every 1 billion years. For those of you in this thread: That means the Earth is getting hotter. No matter what we do.

For the question of how many cycles of cooling/warming in the Earths history. Might want to go search the boys in Greenland taking core samples of the ice. Goes back like hundreds of thousands of years.

For the ozone question that will surely pop up. With the cry, "The hole in the ozone is growing". Consider this (it's been a while). Artic animals have a very high tolerance to UV light. Indicating that the ozone at the poles is variable given that evolution has taken that into account.

The greatest particle polluter yearly on Earth? Volcanoes. Mount Pinatubo put out more matter in it's eruption than three years worth of what we do.

To the hacks a while back that said that because of the measured decrease in atmospheric particulate matter would end in the increased temperature of the earth due to more sunlight striking the ground. Consider whether that matter is on the ground or in the air the sunlight is still hitting something. No change. Again the deciding factor is how much energy from the sun hits us.

Earths water has been rising and falling due to the amount of ice for millenia. At one time the whole of United states was covered in an ice sheet. Many times. And now we think the change in weather is because of our emissions over the last one hundred years? Please.

The greatest producer (Beside the Earth her self I think) of Methane? Cow flatulence.

Consider that China has more than 1.25 billion people. The majority of whom use the dirty burning coal to heat and cook. And the tree-huggers want you to worry about you Expedition's emissions? With cleaner gas than ever, EGR valves and smog pumps and cars that stay tuned up for a hundred thousand miles? Next time someone tries to make you feel bad about driving. Just punch them in the friggin face.

Basically all this is tiresome. When are you geniuses going to give me a stat that illustrates how much percentage wise human emissions raise the global temperature vs. the normal Earth's cyclical norm. Isn't that what this is about? Don't fuc*k with me. I can and do go to the same sites as you guys.

Here's a new thought.

What if our human experience just happened to be during a normal global cool down. You know, like when the US was covered with glaciers, over and over. Would all you chicken littles then be yelling, "Oh my friggin god, we are cooling the earth". To bad this isn't in the basement. But hey, you guys are fun to watch.

The Earth is getting warmer. It's a fact. Just like it has over and over before. Only this time Bush and the Republicans caused it. We are not in the basement, right? Nuff said.

teacher said:
Oh friggin swell, yet another, "mankind means doom" thread. I've been a member a while folks, watched these threads come and go. So. I submit my prepared post. I think I've a few new facts to throw in here. But in short. We are all gonna die, and it's Bush's fault.

Since no one has put this out there yet. Consider the greatest influencer of the Earths temperature. The sun. And we have no control over that.

New: The Sun puts out 10% percent more energy every 1 billion years. For those of you in this thread: That means the Earth is getting hotter. No matter what we do.

For the question of how many cycles of cooling/warming in the Earths history. Might want to go search the boys in Greenland taking core samples of the ice. Goes back like hundreds of thousands of years.

For the ozone question that will surely pop up. With the cry, "The hole in the ozone is growing". Consider this (it's been a while). Artic animals have a very high tolerance to UV light. Indicating that the ozone at the poles is variable given that evolution has taken that into account.

The greatest particle polluter yearly on Earth? Volcanoes. Mount Pinatubo put out more matter in it's eruption than three years worth of what we do.

To the hacks a while back that said that because of the measured decrease in atmospheric particulate matter would end in the increased temperature of the earth due to more sunlight striking the ground. Consider whether that matter is on the ground or in the air the sunlight is still hitting something. No change. Again the deciding factor is how much energy from the sun hits us.

Earths water has been rising and falling due to the amount of ice for millenia. At one time the whole of United states was covered in an ice sheet. Many times. And now we think the change in weather is because of our emissions over the last one hundred years? Please.

The greatest producer (Beside the Earth her self I think) of Methane? Cow flatulence.

Consider that China has more than 1.25 billion people. The majority of whom use the dirty burning coal to heat and cook. And the tree-huggers want you to worry about you Expedition's emissions? With cleaner gas than ever, EGR valves and smog pumps and cars that stay tuned up for a hundred thousand miles? Next time someone tries to make you feel bad about driving. Just punch them in the friggin face.

Basically all this is tiresome. When are you geniuses going to give me a stat that illustrates how much percentage wise human emissions raise the global temperature vs. the normal Earth's cyclical norm. Isn't that what this is about? Don't fuc*k with me. I can and do go to the same sites as you guys.

Here's a new thought.

What if our human experience just happened to be during a normal global cool down. You know, like when the US was covered with glaciers, over and over. Would all you chicken littles then be yelling, "Oh my friggin god, we are cooling the earth". To bad this isn't in the basement. But hey, you guys are fun to watch.

The Earth is getting warmer. It's a fact. Just like it has over and over before. Only this time Bush and the Republicans caused it. We are not in the basement, right? Nuff said.

Maybe if I stick my head in the sand everything will be ok.

teacher said:

It has been "Put out there" already. Global mean temperatures have been increasing in recent decades, but there has been no increasing solar activity trend.

This issue is about trends in recent years and whether those trends are natural. It's irrelevant what the sun will be doing in one billion years time unless that affects recent climate trends.

But can recent trends be explained as natural cycles? It's a fallacy to suggest that because natural cycles exist that therefore recent trends must be down to natural cycles.

But the issue is global warming, not ozone depletion.

Again the issue is global warming, not pollution. So it isn't really particle pollutants that is the issue - it is greenhouse gases.

No it is very different indeed. Clouds also block the sun and they have a negative warming effect. If the light does not reach the ground then longwave radiation will be emitted higher up, meaning less will be trapped and so less of a warming effect.

This isn't actually the case: http://www.epa.gov/methane/sources.html

But even so how much a producer emits is irrelevent to global warming. What is relevant is the variation in production in recent times. When it comes to most natural methane emitters, such as termites, the production there is massive but it hasn't increased. So that would not cause a warming effect.

Cows are a case of increasing emissions of methane as the cow population has risen out of our doing.

Here's a new thought.

There is a mechanism for the warming. Increased greenhouse gases, specifically co2 (which is the main greenhouse forcing), will cause a warming effect. How much is not known, but it is estimated that the temperature will increase by about 2.5C over this century given projected trends of greenhouse gas emissions. Calculations based on the same warming factor per doubling of co2 also suggest most of the recent warming can be attributed to greenhouse gas emissions.

Given that the physics says there should be warming, therefore to be recording warming seems a little too coincidental for some people.

The Earth is getting warmer. It's a fact. Just like it has over and over before.

Except this time there is also a huge spike in co2. It isn't "just like before". The situation is different and therefore it bears examination to see if the cause is different.

Why the black and white scenario....there is more than enough evidence pointing to a warming trend on the earth...period. Maybe....just maybe, its a combination of extremely complex factors that are involved here (note sarcasm), and natural as well as man made action contributes to the change.....you know....like most scientist believe.

tecoyah said:
Why the black and white scenario....there is more than enough evidence pointing to a warming trend on the earth...period. Maybe....just maybe, its a combination of extremely complex factors that are involved here (note sarcasm), and natural as well as man made action contributes to the change.....you know....like most scientist believe.

Yeah, it's sad that the environment has turned into a partisan issue with each side focusing on half the facts.

Well a big problem with USA is that even you are the most richest and maybee also most advanced country, your development is on worldaverage then is comes to CO2 dependence. Because you stand for 25 % of the worlds C02 and around 27 % of the worlds GNP. So if for example China should reach the same GNP with the same methods as USA the world outpout of C02 would almost double. This is even a big problem even if you don't belive in global warming because of limited reasources.

Huh the sun puts off more energy every billion years???Wow I'll live to see that...(note sarcasm) will the earth even live to see that??

Global warming isn't that bad. We will be our own demise...

Back
Top Bottom