• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Global warming is epic, long-term study says

Catawba

Disappointed Evolutionist
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Global warming has propelled Earth's climate from one of its coldest decades since the last ice age to one of its hottest -- in just one century.

A heat spike like this has never happened before, at least not in the last 11,300 years, said climatologist Shaun Marcott, who worked on a new study on global temperatures going back that far.

"If any period in time had a sustained temperature change similar to what we have today, we would have certainly seen that in our record," he said. It is a good indicator of just how fast man-made climate change has progressed.

A century is a very short period of time for such a spike.

Far from natural warming

Variations in how the Earth is tilted and its orbit around the sun make for a pattern of planetary warming phases followed by cooling phases across the millennia.

The team's research shows the Earth's overall temperature curve dipping down over about the past 4,000 years, but the downward plod comes to an abrupt halt in modern times.

"If you were to predict -- based on where we are relative to the position of the sun and how we are tilted -- you would predict that we would be still cooling, but we're not," Marcott said.

Instead, the planet is warming up. It hasn't been quite this warm in thousands of years. And it's getting hotter.

By 2100, the Earth will be warmer than ever before, Marcott said. If emissions continue as currently predicted until then, global temperatures will rise "well above anything we've ever seen in the last 11,000 years."

That could be a rise of 2 to 11.5 degrees Fahrenheit, according to the NSF."

"The main culprit is carbon dioxide, and its levels have jumped in the last 100 years, Marcott said. In the 11,000 years prior, it only changed "very slowly," he said.

The last time Earth has been as warm as it is projected to be by 2100 was before the last Ice Age started -- over 130,000 years ago. That's too long ago to gather reliable data on, he said."

Global warming is epic, long-term study says - CNN.com

A heat spike like this has never happened before, at least not in the last 11,300 years, said climatologist Shaun Marcott, who worked on a new study on global temperatures going back that far.

Another "no duh!" from the folks that don't understand what interglacial period means. Maybe these folks can have a first year geologist explain it to them. :lamo

Well dang. Best we help kill off all those folks in India and China to get a handle on this Warming thing.

I wasn't aware that "epic" now meant the same thing as "overhyped".

Another "no duh!" from the folks that don't understand what interglacial period means. Maybe these folks can have a first year geologist explain it to them. :lamo

Right, we will wait for your published scientific study with baited breath! :lamo

I wasn't aware that "epic" now meant the same thing as "overhyped".

Nice drive by without a lick of proof of your claim!

Right, we will wait for your published scientific study with baited breath! :lamo

Or you could just take geology 101 at your local university. :lamo

As I am not a scientist, I accept what an overwhelming majority of scientists say.

Simple as that.

As I am not a scientist, I accept what an overwhelming majority of scientists say.

Simple as that.

Good for you. But that's not entirely accurate is it? You accept what you read of the majority of the "scientists" highlighted by the popular press.

I've got this great bridge the majority of scientists will attest is truly a bridge that you might like to buy.

Simple as that.

Good reasoning! A novel approach compared to many of the comments so far.

The word "epic" appears in exactly zero of the quotes in the article, and I expect it doesn't appear in the study being referenced.

When did CNN start hiring 15 year old writers?

The word "epic" appears in exactly zero of the quotes in the article, and I expect it doesn't appear in the study being referenced.

When did CNN start hiring 15 year old writers?

I don't follow Deuce.

One of the definitions of epic is: extending beyond the usual or ordinary especially in size or scope

"A heat spike like this has never happened before, at least not in the last 11,300 years," seems beyond the usual or ordinary in scope to me.

Simple as that.

They don't say "epic."

I don't follow Deuce.

One of the definitions of epic is: extending beyond the usual or ordinary especially in size or scope

"A heat spike like this has never happened before, at least not in the last 11,300 years," seems beyond the usual or ordinary in scope to me.

Have you every in your life heard someone use the word "epic" with that meaning?

They don't say "epic."

Have you every in your life heard someone use the word "epic" with that meaning?

Yes, fairly often for things that are beyond the usual. Example: I've heard people say that was an epic movie!

Here you go Deuce, I think you will like this title better.

Earth Is Warmer Today Than During 70 to 80 Percent of the Past 11,300 Years

March 7, 2013

"With data from 73 ice and sediment core monitoring sites around the world, scientists have reconstructed Earth's temperature history back to the end of the last Ice Age.

The analysis reveals that the planet today is warmer than it's been during 70 to 80 percent of the last 11,300 years.

Results of the study, by researchers at Oregon State University (OSU) and Harvard University, are published this week in a paper in the journal Science.

Lead paper author Shaun Marcott of OSU says that previous research on past global temperature change has largely focused on the last 2,000 years.

Extending the reconstruction of global temperatures back to the end of the last Ice Age puts today's climate into a larger context.

"We already knew that on a global scale, Earth is warmer today than it was over much of the past 2,000 years," Marcott says. "Now we know that it is warmer than most of the past 11,300 years."

"The last century stands out as the anomaly in this record of global temperature since the end of the last ice age," says Candace Major, program director in the National Science Foundation's (NSF) Division of Ocean Sciences. The research was funded by the Paleoclimate Program in NSF’s Division of Atmospheric and Geospace Sciences."

nsf.gov - National Science Foundation (NSF) News - Earth Is Warmer Today Than During 70 to 80 Percent of the Past 11,300 Years - US National Science Foundation (NSF)

Now that's a properly dull scientific headline!

Of course, the tinfoil hat crowd will claim ZOMG THEY HID THE MWP. Because who cares about that "global proxy" thing, right?

Now that's a properly dull scientific headline!

Of course, the tinfoil hat crowd will claim ZOMG THEY HID THE MWP. Because who cares about that "global proxy" thing, right?

Of course, what could this possibly tell us about earth's temperature history - "data from 73 ice and sediment core monitoring sites around the world, scientists have reconstructed Earth's temperature history back to the end of the last Ice Age."

Back
Top Bottom