• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Global Warming Expedition Stopped In Its Tracks By Arctic Sea Ice

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
http://www.climatedepot.com/2016/07...tion-stopped-in-its-tracks-by-arctic-sea-ice/

By CRAIG BOUDREAU – 10:43 AM 07/20/2016A group of adventurers, sailors, pilots and climate scientists that recently started a journey around the North Pole in an effort to show the lack of ice, has been blocked from further travels by ice.
The Polar Ocean Challenge is taking a two month journey that will see them go from Bristol, Alaska, to Norway, then to Russia through the North East passage, back to Alaska through the North West passage, to Greenland and then ultimately back to Bristol. Their objective, as laid out by their website, was to demonstrate “that the Arctic sea ice coverage shrinks back so far now in the summer months that sea that was permanently locked up now can allow passage through.”
There has been one small hiccup thus-far though: they are currently stuck in Murmansk, Russia because there is too much ice blocking the North East passage the team said didn’t exist in summer months, according to Real Climate Science.
Real Climate Science also provides a graph showing that current Arctic temperatures — despite alarmist claims of the Arctic being hotter than ever — is actually below normal.
I can't stop giggling at these morons.

They had a computer model, which assured them the ice would not be there:mrgreen:

They took a vote on it, felt about it, and the consensus was there couldn't be ice because they felt it wouldn't be there. I hear they are trying to prove the Koch brother paid to have a large icecube moved to block their way.

They had a computer model, which assured them the ice would not be there:mrgreen:

and 97% of all scientists agreed!

LAFFRIOT!

I giggle at morons too.

Especially ones who salivate over fake denier stories.

If you do a little bit of link following, you'll see that the sailboat is in Murmansk, looking at how to navigate the passage. Given that this is only June, and (as all non-morons know) Arctic sea ice hits its lowest extent in September, they have taken the first part of the trip thru ice free waters, and now are planning on navigating over Russia when the Northeast Passage is open. Given that Arctic ice levels are trending pretty closely to the record low 2012 levels, and are expected to match or surpass them, they can expect this to open up sometime soon. The plan was to sail from Murmansk when the passage opens later in the summer, which I'll again note, is it is a FULL TWO MONTHS BEFORE ARCTIC LOWS, meaning they have several months ahead of them to complete the journey.

But then again, the slow and the gullible will all take this story at face value, I'm sure, as I read the follow up posts.

I wonder where their data came from?

Sea Ice Update - The Polar Ocean Challenge

You can see the up to date data here.

And the historical data with the current (historically dramatically low) ice extent? Here:

N_stddev_timeseries_thumb.png

Apparently, in bizarrodenier land, this is just some squiggles on a graph that dont mean anything, though.

I giggle at morons too.

Especially ones who salivate over fake denier stories.

If you do a little bit of link following, you'll see that the sailboat is in Murmansk, looking at how to navigate the passage. Given that this is only June, and (as all non-morons know) Arctic sea ice hits its lowest extent in September, they have taken the first part of the trip thru ice free waters, and now are planning on navigating over Russia when the Northeast Passage is open. Given that Arctic ice levels are trending pretty closely to the record low 2012 levels, and are expected to match or surpass them, they can expect this to open up sometime soon. The plan was to sail from Murmansk when the passage opens later in the summer, which I'll again note, is it is a FULL TWO MONTHS BEFORE ARCTIC LOWS, meaning they have several months ahead of them to complete the journey.

But then again, the slow and the gullible will all take this story at face value, I'm sure, as I read the follow up posts.

I think the three sided ! is in play on your post. Quoting for the record only.

I think the three sided ! is in play on your post. Quoting for the record only.

Ya know what Renae?... I don't think I have seen you actually make a sound science and/or logic based argument on this server since I started coming here. Nope... nothing but lame attacks, denialist talking points, straw men arguments and other assorted logical fallacies.

Ya know what Renae?... I don't think I have seen you actually make a sound science and/or logic based argument on this server since I started coming here. Nope... nothing but lame attacks, denialist talking points, straw men arguments and other assorted logical fallacies.

Well, there is also the pouting when her points are summarily destroyed.

That's lovely Buzz. Who are you and why do I care?

That's lovely Buzz. Who are you and why do I care?

I'm just someone who obviously knows a lot more about the science behind the climate change debate than you do and you should care if you really want to contribute to that debate without making yourself look like a tool.

I'm just someone who obviously knows a lot more about the science behind the climate change debate than you do and you should care if you really want to contribute to that debate without making yourself look like a tool.

I am a certified forcast duty officer. You?

Just a guy who knows how to do my own research and think for myself. You being a certified forecast duty officer means nothing if you can't do the same.

Just a guy who knows how to do my own research and think for myself. You being a certified forecast duty officer means nothing if you can't do the same.

A challenge to both of you:

Describe the impact of a zeta joule of heat energy going into the world's oceans ver a year. Please state any assumptions you are making and how you would work out the temperature rise. Idealy give the fgure(s).

See above.

Describe the impact of a zeta joule of heat energy going into the world's oceans ver a year. Please state any assumptions you are making and how you would work out the temperature rise. Idealy give the fgure(s).

See above.

What the **** is a zeta joule? Is that like 1.21 jiggawatts?

Seriously though, solar heat into the ocean is a bit general bud. It's affected by water depth, latitude, ocean currents, wind currents...If you're just looking for a base mathematical solution for solar heat absorption by the ocean...

Q=cmΔT But that's just specific heat of water.

Maybe I just need coffee, a serious possibility but I don't' know what a Zeta Joule is, neither did Google. Heating the ocean is not like heating a tub of water. The same amount of solar energy hitting Matagorda Bay will have a completely different heating affect then say the same area of ocean being warmed by the sun off the coast of California. I'm probably way overreading your question so I'll come back to it after the Krurieg has made me coffee. If Coffee fails to make sense of your question I'll leave my answer as the specific heat of water equation and stand by my WTF is a Zeta Joule. Δ

Seriously though, solar heat into the ocean is a bit general bud. It's affected by water depth, latitude, ocean currents, wind currents...If you're just looking for a base mathematical solution for solar heat absorption by the ocean...

Maybe I just need coffee, a serious possibility but I don't' know what a Zeta Joule is, neither did Google. Heating the ocean is not like heating a tub of water. The same amount of solar energy hitting Matagorda Bay will have a completely different heating affect then say the same area of ocean being warmed by the sun off the coast of California. I'm probably way overreading your question so I'll come back to it after the Krurieg has made me coffee. If Coffee fails to make sense of your question I'll leave my answer as the specific heat of water equation and stand by my WTF is a Zeta Joule. Δ

Guess this is easier than having to address the points I made about your ridiculous OP.

Sorry, Zettajoule. 10 ^ 21 Joules.

I was aiming for the average temperature increase across the world's oceans. I know it's greatly over simplified but ......

Back
Top Bottom