• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Global Warming Expedition Stopped In Its Tracks By Arctic Sea Ice

Sorry, Zettajoule. 10 ^ 21 Joules.

I was aiming for the average temperature increase across the world's oceans. I know it's greatly over simplified but ......

Told you I hadn't had freaking coffee.

It is. You plug the numbers through the equation above and you'll get your "all things being equal" answer. The ocean is just so complex temp wise that really the best you can do is generalize based on depth, major currents and latitude.

Told you I hadn't had freaking coffee.

It is. You plug the numbers through the equation above and you'll get your "all things being equal" answer. The ocean is just so complex temp wise that really the best you can do is generalize based on depth, major currents and latitude.

Well, yes. (again) So far you are scoring 1 point for knowing the theory.

The reason I posted this particular challenge is that there is a graph showing the total heat which has supposedly been absorbed by the oceans due to GW. It's in Zettajoules. If youa can't do the maths it is meaningless. 3goofs sometimes posts it.

P.S. thanks for the like.

The reason I posted this particular challenge is that there is a graph showing the total heat which has supposedly been absorbed by the oceans due to GW. It's in Zettajoules. If youa can't do the maths it is meaningless. 3goofs sometimes posts it.

A paper graph that tells only a fraction of the story. Thing is math, is wonderful, it can explain so many things. It can also lie. I can prove on a piece of paper that nothing EVER touches anything. Mathwise. And yet we all know that's poppycock in the real world. It's very easy to be impressed by charts, and graphs and neat little boxes that tell you a tale, but you need perspective to hear the full story.

Last edited:

Make a likable post, get a well earned like :)

A paper graph that tells only a fraction of the story. Thing is math, is wonderful, it can explain so many things. It can also lie. I can prove on a piece of paper that nothing EVER touches anything. Mathwise. And yet we all know that's poppycock in the real world. It's very easy to be impressed by charts, and graphs and neat little boxes that tell you a tale, but you need perspective to hear the full story.

I think you will find that the ideas of a quantum, the smallest unit of something, mean that things do actually touch, no matter how small you want to measure the gap.

Maths that gives the wrong answers is generally using the wrong assumptions.

There is a 97% consensus among global warming scientists that there is a ship stuck in the ice.

Finally, something I can agree with.

;)

I think you will find that the ideas of a quantum, the smallest unit of something, mean that things do actually touch, no matter how small you want to measure the gap.

Maths that gives the wrong answers is generally using the wrong assumptions.

You know the point I was making, don't be pedantic. Distance from point A to point B requires you pass the halfway point. There will "always" be a halfway point. At least, on paper since there is no end to numbers. An oldie but a goodie, it also got me suspended from my 5th grade math class cause the teacher felt I was mocking her. I was but.. that's not the point.

In other words, they are anticipating the passage opening.

Like they planned.

No, because if you actually go to the link for the log and read it, their Russian source says it is unusual for this time of year... meaning how much ice there is!

Do you ever click on people's links, or do you just know your confirmation bias is correct?

No, because if you actually go to the link for the log and read it, their Russian source says it is unusual for this time of year... meaning how much ice there is!

Do you ever click on people's links, or do you just know your confirmation bias is correct?

Right. But they are there two months before the lowest point in the season, so they know the passage will be opening later.

Because...the ice coverage is tracking to be possibly the lowest extent on record.

Because....AGW is warming the Arctic dramatically.

Right. But they are there two months before the lowest point in the season, so they know the passage will be opening later.

Because...the ice coverage is tracking to be possibly the lowest extent on record.

Because....AGW is warming the Arctic dramatically.
LOL...

They are expecting that passage to be open now. They are only a few days away.

Your reading comprehension absolutely stinks, or is entirely controlled by your confirmation bias.

LOL...

They are expecting that passage to be open now. They are only a few days away.

Your reading comprehension absolutely stinks, or is entirely controlled by your confirmation bias.

Right. The WEATHER is currently a problem. But the CLIMATE change will ensure there will be no problem soon.

Right. The WEATHER is currently a problem. But the CLIMATE change will ensure there will be no problem soon.

If you say so.

How many joules at what magnitude will it take to melt that ice in the next few days?

Don't you get it? The passage is not clear. It is iced over!

re: the OP

The only morons in the AGW debate are the non-scientists who necessarily do not work and/or publish in the field, tittering at things.

Don't you get it? The passage is not clear. It is iced over!

If you go to the crew logs... The OP is actually correct. No matter how many denier blogs you find. Check this out:

On 7/16/16, there is an entry titled: "The Laptev sea is solid ice right up to the beach. So the only answer this evening, another Vodka"

On the 18th, one log entry contains: "It’s ten pm on Sunday right now and we’re still in Murmansk."

Doesn't it look like they were held up by ice?

You know the point I was making, don't be pedantic. Distance from point A to point B requires you pass the halfway point. There will "always" be a halfway point. At least, on paper since there is no end to numbers. An oldie but a goodie, it also got me suspended from my 5th grade math class cause the teacher felt I was mocking her. I was but.. that's not the point.

This conundrum was sort with the idea of tends to in maths.

The time taken to cross the space tends to zero as the distance tends to zero.

The idea of the quantum is that at some point there is the smallest amount of both distance and time to use. Thus you go from 1 quantum of time/distance to zero. No middle bit.

I think your teacher needs a slap. Children should give interlectual trouble to the world.

The idea of the quantum is that at some point there is the smallest amount of both distance and time to use. Thus you go from 1 quantum of time/distance to zero. No middle bit.

I think your teacher needs a slap. Children should give interlectual trouble to the world.

Yes well, had she pulled the Quantum card in a 5th grade class back in 198...8? I think? That would have been, impressive.

07dsVV5.png

Giggle. Giggle.

07dsVV5.png

Giggle. Giggle.

Year, that's the sort of peer reviewed stuff they had been looking at rather than the photos from space of the ice.

The theory says it's free of ice so you can sail across it. No matter what the conditions are the theory is superiour!!

Actually nothing does ever touch anything. The Pauli Exclusion principle demands it be so. Even in our world of stuff, all that comes together are repulsive electromagnetic fields giving the impression that sold matter can be touched. Touching is exactly like trying to bring the negative polls of two bar magnets together. The closer they come together the stronger the resistance until they can no longer get any closer.

Year, that's the sort of peer reviewed stuff they had been looking at rather than the photos from space of the ice.

The theory says it's free of ice so you can sail across it. No matter what the conditions are the theory is superiour!!

What theory says the Arctic is free of ice currently? That's just stupid to suggest. The theory is that the Arctic will be free of ice in late summer by sometime late this century, maybe sooner. There has been about a 40% reduction in sea ice since the 1970s. How is that in theory no ice being present today?

Again....you realize that they are TWO MONTHS away from the annual low in ice, right?

Actually nothing does ever touch anything. The Pauli Exclusion principle demands it be so. Even in our world of stuff, all that comes together are repulsive electromagnetic fields giving the impression that sold matter can be touched. Touching is exactly like trying to bring the negative polls of two bar magnets together. The closer they come together the stronger the resistance until they can no longer get any closer.

.right on.

Except for one thing, at the Planck length and time scale there is no value zero less than 1. Any value less than 1 lacks any and all meaning. The time to go from 2 to 1 Planck length is the same going from 3 to 2 etc. To go from 1 to ~0 = infinity.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom