• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Glenn Beck's George Washington Whopper

Catz Part Deux

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Glenn Beck's George Washington Whopper | Mother Jones

During his much-ballyhooed "Restoring Honor" rally on Saturday, Glenn Beck told a whopper involving the founding father who was supposedly unable to tell a lie: George Washington.

"I have been going to Mt. Vernon," he explained. Holding out his hands for emphasis, he declared with emotion, "I went to the National Archives, and I held the first inaugural address written in his own hand by George Washington."

It was an eyebrow-raising revelation and certainly an original image: Beck cradling the actual words of the first president. But would the persnickety gatekeepers of the nation's historical legacy at the National Archives allow some talk show bombthrower to put his mitts on a rare (and fragile) artifact? The answer, it turns out, is no way. Beck was not telling the truth.

Beck did receive a special VIP tour of the archives, arranged by an as-yet unidentified member of Congress. During that tour, he did get a peek inside the "legislative vault," which isn't open to ordinary visitors. But Archives spokeswoman Susan Cooper insists that Beck didn't lay a finger on any precious documents, much less George Washington’s inaugural address. That would be a major violation of policy. "Those kinds of treasures are only handled by specially trained archival staff," she explains. Cooper acknowledges that someone at the archives did show the document to Beck, but that was the extent of it. Regarding Beck's claim that he held the document, Cooper says that seeing such documents for the first time can be a very emotional experience. "I'm certain it was a figure of speech," she says.

What? Glenn Beck TOLD A LIE at the RESTORING HONOR Rally?

Say it ain't so.

:lamo

Reminds me of something my father always said...A person who will lie to you about little things is certain to lie to you about big things.

Last edited:
Glenn Beck's George Washington Whopper | Mother Jones

What? Glenn Beck TOLD A LIE at the RESTORING HONOR Rally?

Say it ain't so.

:lamo

Reminds me of something my father always said...A person who will lie to you about little things is certain to lie to you about big things.

Wow !! Why don't we bury him to his waist in sand and stone him to death !! :roll:

This was pretty mild compared to the whoppers told in Washington, D.C. during the week.

Especially those who lie about their little thing being a big thing.

Oh the irony. Lie to restore honor. Excuse me, but I just inhaled my coffee, and it is now coming out my nose. :mrgreen:

Wow !! Why don't we bury him to his waist in sand and stone him to death !! :roll:

This was pretty mild compared to the whoppers told in Washington, D.C. during the week.

In other words, you don't mind being lied to as long as it's someone that's on you're side of the political spectrum. Good to know.

In other words, you don't mind being lied to as long as it's someone that's on you're side of the political spectrum. Good to know.

Where did you pull that from ?? never mind, I already know.

None of those people claimed to be honor restorers.

They claim to be leaders of the people, which is worse.

Do you prefer to have people making our laws be liars or a tv/radio commentator??

They claim to be leaders of the people, which is worse.

Do you prefer to have people making our laws be liars or a tv/radio commentator??

Listen, Glenn is the one who claimed to be restoring honor, then got on stage in front of his fans, and lied.

All subterfuge aside, doesn't that bother you at all, that you can't even trust the man to be truthful about the tiniest thing?

Would his story have been diminished in the slightest if he'd SEEN the document instead of TOUCHED IT? In essence, he lied simply to embellish his story for the slightest effect.

If he would lie about something that small, he's lying every time he opens his mouth.

What else is he stretching the truth about?

Last edited:
Listen, Glenn is the one who claimed to be restoring honor, then got on stage in front of his fans, and lied.

All subterfuge aside, doesn't that bother you at all, that you can't even trust the man to be truthful about the tiniest thing?

Would his story have been diminished in the slightest if he'd SEEN the document instead of TOUCHED IT? In essence, he lied for no good reason.

What else is he stretching the truth about?

I consider this such a trivial "lie" that it's truly amazing that a rag like Mother Jones would bother commenting on it. It's not significant enough to bother me.

Like I said, Beck can't affect my life, liars like Reid and Pelosi can... and have.

And...didn't Pelosi promise to "restore honor" to Congress in so many words? How's that working out?

I consider this such a trivial "lie" that it's truly amazing that a rag like Mother Jones would bother commenting on it. It's not significant enough to bother me.

Like I said, Beck can't affect my life, liars like Reid and Pelosi can... and have.

And...didn't Pelosi promise to "restore honor" to Congress in so many words? How's that working out?

Do you have anything in your pockets besides strawmen? And, isn't that itchy?

This thread isn't about those people. This thread is about Glenn Beck.

If you'd like to rant about Pelosi/Reid/etc., start your own damn thread.

Do you have anything in your pockets besides strawmen? And, isn't that itchy?

This thread isn't about those people. This thread is about Glenn Beck.

If you'd like to rant about Pelosi/Reid/etc., start your own damn thread.

I can't resist pointing out the left's hypocrisy.

How exactly does Beck's lie affect your life ??

A trivial lie, that a new one. :rofl

BTW, I didn't start this one.

A trivial lie, that a new one. :rofl

BTW, I didn't start this one.

I'll ask you the same question.... How did this "lie" affect your life ?? Are you worse off because of it ??

Compare Beck's lie to Pelosi's. Which affected you more ??

I'll ask you the same question.... How did this "lie" affect your life ?? Are you worse off because of it ??

Compare Beck's lie to Pelosi's. Which affected you more ??
Where is a Mod when you need one. This thread isn't about Pelosi, it's about BECK!!!!!

Where is a Mod when you need one. This thread isn't about Pelosi, it's about BECK!!!!!

Feel free to report my post if you think it breaks forum rules.

While you're doing that, I'll be over in the corner laughing at you.

My question was "HOW DID BECK'S LIE AFFECT YOUR LIFE". Was Pelosi mentioned in that sentence ??

Don't be ashamed to admit this is just another lefty attack on a conservative over nothing of substance.

Frankly the lie just points to his ego as he attempts to fan the flames of his cult of personality.

Beck did receive a special VIP tour of the archives, arranged by an as-yet unidentified member of Congress. During that tour, he did get a peek inside the "legislative vault," which isn't open to ordinary visitors. But Archives spokeswoman Susan Cooper insists that Beck didn't lay a finger on any precious documents, much less George Washington’s inaugural address. That would be a major violation of policy. "Those kinds of treasures are only handled by specially trained archival staff," she explains. Cooper acknowledges that someone at the archives did show the document to Beck, but that was the extent of it. Regarding Beck's claim that he held the document, Cooper says that seeing such documents for the first time can be a very emotional experience. "I'm certain it was a figure of speech," she says.
No valid proof of a lie. Susan Cooper is nothing more than a spokesperson quoting archival policies and not actually present at the time. Were archival policies followed to the letter? Made no reference to herself being present at anytime during his visit. More a matter of keeping an open mind and not jumping to conclusions.

Feel free to report my post if you think it breaks forum rules.

While you're doing that, I'll be over in the corner laughing at you.

My question was "HOW DID BECK'S LIE AFFECT YOUR LIFE". Was Pelosi mentioned in that sentence ??

Don't be ashamed to admit this is just another lefty attack on a conservative over nothing of substance.
What is it with you guys that worship the church of Glenn Beck? When he says something wrong and it's pointed out to you, you consider it an attack.

It's so incredibly funny that you guy call Obama the Messiah, but you treat Glenn Beck that way. :lamo :lamo

You expect them to be impartial and besides their own convictions?

What is it with you guys that worship the church of Glenn Beck? When he says something wrong and it's pointed out to you, you consider it an attack.

It's so incredibly funny that you guy call Obama the Messiah, but you treat Glenn Beck that way. :lamo :lamo

NEWSFLASH: I don't watch Glenn Beck on tv, I don't listen to Glenn Beck on the radio, I don't particularly like Glenn Beck, but I dislike hypocrits much more.

Want to know what's really incredibly funny??? It's that you jump on someone for a lie that has no affect on anyone, yet dismiss those by the lefty leaders you voted for that write laws and give our tax money away.

Do you know what really bothers me? People who can't stick to the subject.

Do you know what really bothers me? People who can't stick to the subject.

images

Back
Top Bottom