• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Glenn Beck's chalkboard drove Byron Williams to plot assassination

That's a general discussion, this is pretty specific about a plan by a Glenn Beck fan to assassinate 11 people from the ACLU and the Tides Foundation to make up for the 11 people who died in the BP disaster.

This whole thing just reads like a "I don't want to take complete blame for what I did" type story.

That's a general discussion, this is pretty specific about a plan by a Glenn Beck fan to assassinate 11 people from the ACLU and the Tides Foundation to make up for the 11 people who died in the BP disaster.

Do you blame Al Gore for the Discovery Channel psycho?

Be fair now. You know Al Gore barely made it into the news on that. I'm sure PB will blame him now that it's known. :)

I don't know did Al Gore ever joke about poisoning a politician on air? I think there could be a better example than Gore. I'm sure there is some nut wad liberal that joked about poisoning politicians.

I find it difficult to support accusations of Beck's direct responsibility in this.

Beck is a world-class jerk and confidence man, but I dont see how any of his money-grubbing ramblings can be held directly responsible for the actions of a handful of idiots. Even if he was directly advocating for violence or an overthrow of the government, responsibility for one's actions rests on one's own shoulders.

That said, Beck needs to seriously check his conscience. Stirring up anger and hatred for profit may be all well and good for a while, but eventually you'll start turning the water. Create enough anger and someone might decided to act on that anger.

I don't know did Al Gore ever joke about poisoning a politician on air? I think there could be a better example than Gore. I'm sure there is some nut wad liberal that joked about poisoning politicians.

Yes, because people who make jokes are completely responsible for every psycho's actions. *eyeroll*

/old

Al gore was slightly less related to that then glenn beck is to this. Just slightly.

It's a perfect example.

Would you like to answer the question?

And....

The Discovery Channel guy was in September and the Tides thing happened in July. So......which one is old?

Be fair now. You know Al Gore barely made it into the news on that. I'm sure PB will blame him now that it's known. :)

There is no comparison that can be made. Al Gore has never advanced conspiracy theories that I know of. Besides Discovery Channel psychowas against things on both sides of the political spectrum - he was against Global Warming and Immigration.

Glenn Beck has free speech rights, but isn't he morally responsible for this guy's actions?

john kerry thought it was funny to joke about assassinating president bush on national television.. the entire democrat party honored michael moore after he accused bush of being responsible for the murder of 3,000 Americans by siting him at their convention next to president carter. joe biden jokes about choking congressional republicans to death, president obama threatens to fight republicans hand-to-hand, and urges his supporters to do so ith guns (metaphorically, of course). eco-groups inspired by gore-types throw firebombs at scientists and threaten their children.

but of course, every time a conservative becomes popular liberals rush to attempt to explain how he's 'really' encouraging whacko violence, and the people are just too stupid to pick up on it.

projection, thy name is democrat.

Last edited:
john kerry thought it was funny to joke about assasinating president bush. the entire democrat party honored michael moore after he accusdbush of being responsible for the murder of 3,000 Americans by siting him at their convention next to president carter. joe biden jokes about choking congressional republicans to death, preident obama threatens to fight republicanshand-to-han, and urges his supporters to do so ith guns (metaphorically, of course). eco-groups inspired by gore-types thow firebombs at scientists and threaten their children.

but of course, every time a conservative becomes popular liberals rush to attempt to exlain how he's 'really' enouraging whacko violence, and the people are just too stupid to pick up on it.

projection, thy name is democrat.

I think my point went totally over your head.

Glenn Beck has free speech rights, but isn't he morally responsible for this guy's actions?

no. and only a complete idiot a fascist, or someone so utterly blinded by partisanship as to have utterly demagnetized his moral compass would think he is.

no. and only a complete idiot a fascist, or someone so utterly blinded by partisanship as to have utterly demagnetized his moral compass would think he is.
Care to share why?

I personally dont think Beck has any legal culpability but morally I think he shares at least SOME responsibility. Keep talking about how worthless life is to live with someone who is suicidal and they kill themselves, yes the ultimate choice was theirs to make but you certainly had a hand in influencing their thinking.

There is no comparison that can be made. Al Gore has never advanced conspiracy theories that I know of. Besides Discovery Channel psychowas against things on both sides of the political spectrum - he was against Global Warming and Immigration.

Wait, wait, wait....

Speaking about conspiracy theories = promoting violence??

Say wha?

I guess vague (the webmaster of this site) promotes violence since he allows conspiracy theories to be discussed. :roll:

Beck didn't cause this guy to come up with his crazy plot. Just like Gore wasn't responsible for the Discovery channel guy. The only people responsible for these horrible actions are the people who committed them.

Last edited:
Yes, because people who make jokes are completely responsible for every psycho's actions. *eyeroll*

Anyone who makes jokes is implicitly normalizing and legitimizing extremists beliefs.

Heck, I just watched a documentary about people who think they are vampires and such the blood of other humans (except the psychic vampires who just stand very still), and a good number of them have convinced themselves that society fears them and that is the only reason they are not mainstream. However, to them, their beliefs and actions are completely legit and justifiable because of the people they surround themselves with. If they were around normal people, they would likely feel quite differently.

Last edited:
There is no comparison that can be made. Al Gore has never advanced conspiracy theories that I know of.

Global Warming IS a conspiracy theory. Talk about fearmongering. Beck can't hold a candle to Gore.

Beck didn't cause this guy to come up with his crazy plot. Just like Gore wasn't responsible for the Discovery channel guy. The only people responsible for these horrible actions are the people who committed them.

I agree with you for the most part. What tears me up is the following:

1) I do not blame the Beatles for Charels Manson's killing spree but yet hold Jim Jones responsible for the mass suicides. Both were men who held power over gullible people. Even though I think Beck is an asinine, truth-stretching idiot, some don't. In fact, I'd say that some go as far as to worship the clown. This is why I think some pundits like Beck are dangerous.

so the earth isn't warming?

The Global Warming theory contains more than just "the earth is warming". Of course the Earth warms and cools over periods of time. I don't know anyone that denies that fact.

The theory, however, is that the globe is warming because of the increase in CO2 and the globe will continue to warm if we don't stop using so much CO2. Eventually, the waters will rise and life will cease to exist. That is the conspiracy theory.

The Global Warming theory contains more than just "the earth is warming". Of course the Earth warms and cools over periods of time. I don't know anyone that denies that fact.

The theory, however, is that the globe is warming because of the increase in CO2 and the globe will continue to warm if we don't stop using so much CO2. Eventually, the waters will rise and life will cease to exist. That is the conspiracy theory.

So you think if we continue producing CO2 emissions at the increasing rates we have been every thing will be fine and dandy?

Back
Top Bottom