• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Glenn Beck Rant on Tides leads to Violence

Glenn Beck is an idiot, but he isn't responsible for the actions of these idiots.

I don't understand how ANYONE can be for late-term abortion. It's evil. The girl at the end of the segment talking about having a late-term abortion made me cry. Her baby SUFFOCATED AND BURNED TO DEATH. Good God. What is wrong with this country?

And what has Media Matters told you to think about this?

That's a deflection, since you are defender of Fox News, what have they told you about it?

That's a deflection, since you are defender of Fox News, what have they told you about it?

pb, what was the purpose of posting that video? How does it help your side of the debate?

This debate isn't Fox News, vs. liberals. This is about free speech. The right to say whatever the hell you want, no matter how stupid, or ignorant it may be. Everyone has that right, including people we don't agree with. Saying that Beck, or Fox News incites violence is as ignorant as saying Grand Theft Auto, or Marilyn Manson causes violence as well. If someone says something stupid, that we don't like, then we have the right to call them out on it. And if were going to call them out on it then we should use logic, and reasoning to do so, not make ignorant claims that the people saying the things that we don't like incites violence. Doing that only makes your credibility come into question.

I'm not a "defender of Fox News." I'm a defender of logic and reason against idiocy and rabidness. O'Reilly was being a complete and utter douchebag in that clip, but it doesn't show anything germane to anything I've posted here. And the only one making anything like a threat in that clip was Joan Walsh.

It IS germane to why I hardly ever watch any TV news and I loathe the 24-hour news culture.

But it IS telling that because I defend some aspects of Fox News against some things, you assume it means I actually like them and will defend them against anything. This may be how YOU would approach things, but it isn't MY bag.

And YOU defend Media Matters as "real journalists," and just about everything you post as backup for anything is from them. If you can find anything like similar behavior from me, by all means. But you won't.

Unfortunately, playing glenn beck as a victim to whatever mythos of liberal hate that brands him a terrorist is not sufficient. Types of shows like Glenn Beck's are not on television in most other countries, they are seen as seditionist. Glenn beck contributes nothing intellectual to this planet except providing hate and ammunition to fire at liberals and telling the right that their nation is under some sort of fundamentalist attack by their fellow (And less so) americans. The reason people would blame beck is because he basically makes charts of enemies for those who hold the same fundamentalist ideals as him. And when one fox news nut tries to stop the apocalypse or kill the antichrist or stop the communists from taking over... it speaks deeply of the psychological effect of their programming. I have always thought that glenn beck was politically insane and he encourages it in his audience.

Yeah, free speech sucks.

And YOU defend Media Matters as "real journalists," and just about everything you post as backup for anything is from them. If you can find anything like similar behavior from me, by all means. But you won't.
I do defend Media Matters and I not ashamed at do so because they are accurate. You'll never see Media Matters publish a video from nut job like Andrew Breitbart and treating like news like Foxnews.com did.

Yeah, free speech sucks.

Free speech is not absolute, for example you can't yell fire in a crowded theater and you can't libel someone.

I do defend Media Matters and I not ashamed at do so because they are accurate. You'll never see Media Matters publish a video from nut job like Andrew Breitbart and treating like news like Foxnews.com did.

From Breitbart specifically? No. But from others. And you'll see hatchet jobs like the ones I exposed in, say, post #17 of this thread.

Inciting violence is a crime. Beck's irresponsible and crazy language incites violence among some suggestible people. Now, follow with me, Beck is committing a crime.

Why don't you guys just come out and say that you want the government to shut down Fox News and other conservative media? All this tiptoeing around it is unseemly.

Inciting violence is a crime. Beck's irresponsible and crazy language incites violence among some suggestible people. Now, follow with me, Beck is committing a crime.

No he isn't. I don't have a high opinion of Beck, but please don't make crap up.

As this story indicates, I'm not making “crap” up. My city was almost under siege by a mad man who had just been listening to a Beck rant. Glenn Beck's ravings have real life consequences.

Last edited:
From Breitbart specifically? No. But from others. And you'll see hatchet jobs like the ones I exposed in, say, post #17 of this thread.
The Media Matters link in post #17 was defending Shepard Smith of Fox News. What's your problem with that?

As this story indicates, I'm not making “crap” up. My city was almost under siege by a mad man who had just been listening to a Beck rant. Glenn Beck's ravings have real life consequences.

So did Beck say go out and kill all the liberals you can find? If he didn't your making crap up. It's the same thing people say about music, or video games, or any sort of speech they don't happen to like. Oh, they listened to Manson, he caused it! He played a violent video game, those evil video games caused it! It's all bull.

The Media Matters link in post #17 was defending Shepard Smith of Fox News. What's your problem with that?

No. The linkS are in posts 11 and 14, mostly attempting to connect Fox News and Glenn Beck to incitement of specific violence, and I don't give a flying flip about Shepard Smith.

I showed real news stories, with real motivations for what those morons did. Hint: they didn't do it because of "right-wing media."

Glenn Beck didn't cause violence, in fact he condemns it. If someone is violent, that is their fault and their action. They chose to be violent, no one else made that choice for them. Excuses like "he incited violence" or "TV makes kids violent, therefore TV is bad" and things of that nature are foolish. No TV show or politically opinionated person in the media forced someone to do any act of violence.

Glenn Beck didn't cause violence, in fact he condemns it. If someone is violent, that is their fault and their action. They chose to be violent, no one else made that choice for them. Excuses like "he incited violence" or "TV makes kids violent, therefore TV is bad" and things of that nature are foolish. No TV show or politically opinionated person in the media forced someone to do any act of violence.
Just as the TV doesn't force anyone to purchase the products they advertise.

I'd just like to note, for the record, that you can not:
  • Demonize Glenn Beck for "inciting violence" while refusing to hold Islam or the Koran responsible for the violence and unrest which involves Muslims (and those who hold similar views)
  • Demonize Islam or the Koran for "inciting violence" while refusing to hold Glenn Beck responsible for the violence and unrest which involves his viewers (and those who hold similar views)

If you do either, you're deluded at best, and a fanatic at worst.

TED,
Not a fanatic, and not blaming Glenn Beck for this crap.

This is the danger of uneducated people (or those with a basic education who lack critical thinking skills) watching Glenn Beck and other fringe-right partisans. They get all worked up about non-existant boogey men - Tides, Acorn, La Raza...

Then some unstable person goes off.

This guy makes a good point--Fox news has become somewhat irresponsible IMO. Doocy, Beck, and Hannity all spew crap from their mouths and many FNC viewers are all too impressionable.

A what point does hyper-partisan rhetoric (from the Left or Right) become inciting violence?

As long as people will buy snake-oil, snake oil salesmen will sell it to them. Competition of the absurd is very fierce these days. He's just trying to compete. Anybody stupid enough to follow him was stupid long before then. Can't blame Beck for their stupidity. Can't blame him for selling them their snake oil either.

It's the American way.

… Can't blame him for selling them their snake oil either.

It's the American way.

Then the American way in your view is fraudulent. Fraud is against the law.

But more important is the failure of conservatives to condemn Beck's violent language makes them accessories before the fact. They are enablers and innocent blood will be on their hands.

Then the American way in your view is fraudulent. Fraud is against the law.

But more important is the failure of conservatives to condemn Beck's violent language makes them accessories before the fact. They are enablers and innocent blood will be on their hands.

Maybe, like the millions of peaceful Muslims around the world, they figured that the absurd or violent behavior of others was so obviously abhorrent that they didn't need to condemn it because no reasonable person would think they supported it in any way.

TED,
Referring you to post 46.

Back
Top Bottom