• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Glenn Beck is amazing

Grim17

Battle Ready
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Talk show hosts on both radio and TV, and I'm not just talking about political ones either, will often talk about or recommend certain books they've read to their audiences. I'm not talking about newly released books, where the author is a friend, or comes on their show to talk about their book. I'm talking about books that are 20, 30 and even 100 years old, some of which haven't been in print in decades.

Usually when a host does this, those books will get a small, temporary spike in sales at places like Amazon.com. When Glenn Beck does this, the resulting sales are phenomenal. A few weeks ago, Beck made news because 4 books he mentioned on his shows that were not new releases, were all on Amazons top 20 at the same time. Two of them were in the top 5, including the number one slot.

Well he did it again. Yesterday on his Fox show, he recommended a book written back in the early 1940's called "The Road To Serfdom", and today is the #1 selling book at Amazon.com. Along with that, the book entitled "George Washington's Sacred Fire" which was #1 last week after Beck recommended it, is still in the top 10 along with the soon to be released "The Overton Window", which Beck wrote himself.

Last time I checked people, low IQ, uneducated, mindless, hillbilly, idiots (you know, those the left claims must comprise Beck's audience) don't buy a lot of books or do a whole lot of reading... especially on subjects like constitutional law, American history and world economics.

Glenn Beck is waking America up to the destructive path that our government, especially the Obama administration, is leading us down. To all you liberals/progressives out there, your days are numbered. If I were you, I would be scared.... Very scared.

OooOOooooo he's so dramatic and scary!! :shock:

anyhooo... keep us up to date on the selections from The Oprah and Beck Book Club.

No one is disputing that Beck is popular, we contend that he's flat wrong about a lot of what he says and that he's a populist and a sensationalist to get ratings and make money aside from being hyper-partisan. I feel that people like Beck, regardless of their political bent, are destructive to any sort of actual productive discourse that will achieve results. Instead they revel in creating chaos and smearing their intellectual feces all over the walls usually for kicks, ratings, and money. I dont think these individuals could hold up a serious discussion at all without them tearing it down to a name-calling partisan fight.

And I've actually read through part of one of his books and....you really dont need a high IQ or education to read them. They aren't written such that someone without a basic education couldn't read them. It's a remarkably childish writing style that took an almost condescending tone. His books dont really contain gems of wisdom that you need a degree to unravel. In fact I wouldnt say they contained any gems of wisdom at all.

I dont really see Beck doing anything revolutionary or groundbreaking except rehashing neo-con rhetoric and touching up old McCarthyist jawings to make it more "fresh." I havent seen any real serious ideas come out of him that tell me he has any real understanding of the political processes at work or of even basic political science. I treat Beck the same way I'd treat someone insisting that, yes he could TOTALLY do open heart surgery because he's, like, seen it on TV a billion times!

Glenn Beck is waking America up to the destructive path that our government, especially the Obama administration, is leading us down. To all you liberals/progressives out there, your days are numbered. If I were you, I would be scared.... Very scared.
If Beck is the best you can muster to try to destroy the "liberals/progressives" then I dont really see what there is to worry about. Beck will self-destruct once he says something more stupid than usual and his popularity falls off.

To all you liberals/progressives out there, your days are numbered. If I were you, I would be scared.... Very scared.

I'm not scared at all :D

Usually when a host does this, those books will get a small, temporary spike in sales at places like Amazon.com. When Glenn Beck does this, the resulting sales are phenomenal. A few weeks ago, Beck made news because 4 books he mentioned on his shows that were not new releases, were all on Amazons top 20 at the same time. Two of them were in the top 5, including the number one slot.
Why does this matter? It is not a testament to Glenn Becks intellect, or how truthful he speaks, but of his popularity. Beck is still a niche figurehead where there is an obvious demographic he targets. It is radio 101. The Jonas Brothers are another example of niche figureheads.... so what?
Last time I checked people, low IQ, uneducated, mindless, hillbilly, idiots (you know, those the left claims must comprise Beck's audience) don't buy a lot of books or do a whole lot of reading... especially on subjects like constitutional law, American history and world economics.

You transition from the left making fun of Beck's audience, and Beck himself. To criticizing the left for destroying America.
Your final paragraph had absolutely nothing in common with the rest of your post. Minimize your photo collection of Beck, wipe the drool off your keyboard, and actually present a coherent argument.

Talk show hosts on both radio and TV, and I'm not just talking about political ones either, will often talk about or recommend certain books they've read to their audiences. I'm not talking about newly released books, where the author is a friend, or comes on their show to talk about their book. I'm talking about books that are 20, 30 and even 100 years old, some of which haven't been in print in decades.

Well he did it again. Yesterday on his Fox show, he recommended a book written back in the early 1940's called "The Road To Serfdom", and today is the #1 selling book at Amazon.com. Along with that, the book entitled "George Washington's Sacred Fire" which was #1 last week after Beck recommended it, is still in the top 10 along with the soon to be released "The Overton Window", which Beck wrote himself.

I respect Glenn's creativity and curiosity. I would like to see more of that from our progressive friends but they seem to all be about one thing: Bigger government and so goes the mantra. I like the discussion and Glenn asking questions, just like Michael Moore. We need discussion in this country especially about the history of our country.

Makes me wonder how many jobs Glenn is creating with his book recommendations?

I respect Glenn's creativity and curiosity.
Except he isnt. He rehashes arguments that have been made and subsequently abandoned prior to his belief that he matters. He just compares everything he doesnt like to Hitler or Germany, yells at a chalkboard while drawing some strange diagram, sprinkles a little George Orwell on top for good measure and calls it a day. He's like the polisci version of Jim Cramer only less funny.

I would like to see more of that from our progressive friends but they seem to all be about one thing: Bigger government and so goes the mantra. I like the discussion and Glenn asking questions, just like Michael Moore. We need discussion in this country especially about the history of our country.
Discussion is fine if you really want to have one. Beck doesnt seem to want to. I've never in my life seen him do a single interview where he seemed to want to have an actual discussion about anything. You're free to try and direct me to one. He makes catty and sarcastic remarks while pushing ideas that he's over-simplified to the point of being a waste of time. He claims to have read all this stuff but he doesn't ACT like he has.

If a man read as much as he claims to have read, I'd expect him to absorb SOME of it. I dont know if Beck just skims to find points that support his POV and call it a day once he's found them or what.

Why on earth would that be creating jobs?

And just out of curiosity, why bother to have your political beliefs displayed as "undisclosed" when you make ZERO effort to hide it in your writing?

Except he isnt. He rehashes arguments that have been made and subsequently abandoned prior to his belief that he matters. He just compares everything he doesnt like to Hitler or Germany, yells at a chalkboard while drawing some strange diagram, sprinkles a little George Orwell on top for good measure and calls it a day. He's like the polisci version of Jim Cramer only less funny.

Discussion is fine if you really want to have one. Beck doesnt seem to want to. I've never in my life seen him do a single interview where he seemed to want to have an actual discussion about anything. You're free to try and direct me to one. He makes catty and sarcastic remarks while pushing ideas that he's over-simplified to the point of being a waste of time. He claims to have read all this stuff but he doesn't ACT like he has.

If a man read as much as he claims to have read, I'd expect him to absorb SOME of it. I dont know if Beck just skims to find points that support his POV and call it a day once he's found them or what.

Why on earth would that be creating jobs?

And just out of curiosity, why bother to have your political beliefs displayed as "undisclosed" when you make ZERO effort to hide it in your writing?

I think Glenn matters and the arguments that he makes are ones that are alive and well as there will always be a battle between the right and left, whether domestically or internationally to the point of two super powers pointing warheads at eachother at one time.

Just two nights ago Glenn had an interesting discussion with an author who wrote a book about centrally planned economies. There was a discussion on the same show with a professor, and immigrant from the former Soviet Union who was surprised how Americans take our freedom for granted. I didn't realize that if you defected from the Soviet Union in the 1970's they would punish your family that was still there. The discussion was very powerful and it made me appreciate that I can read any book I want without fear of prison. I was a show the other week and was talking with a rep who left the Soviet Union and is all smiles ear to ear when talking about America, but when asking him about life in the Soviet Union, their expression got very angry. So to sum up, I don't think you can generalize and state that the discussions aren't about anything?

I agree that Beck uses what he reads to support his point of view, but that is usually what we all do for validation, and to check ourselves to make sure that we aren't the only ones who feel a certain way. Going back to the discussion a few nights ago, the same Russian immigrant couldn't have an open discussion in the Soviet Union about the book, On the Road to Serfdom.

He does make sarcastic remarks and over simplifies things, but it's a very powerful tool to get your point across. I used to make some of the most detailed presentations at my organization, but lost the audience after a few slides. It wasn't until I made very simple points that people would open up and the discussion or interest would start and then we could get to the core of the more detailed things. He's not doing it unconsciously in my opinion, in other words...I think if he "ACTED" like he was the authority on everything he read, he would turn his viewers off. People can go online and make an Amazon purchase and determine what to think.

Glenn is creating jobs because the publishing companies have to print more books, which employs people, or keeps them employed because it's another order, the transportation companies ship them to the customers via planes, trains and automobiles, Amazon gets a cut or whatever e-commerce site people buy from etc. And all the other vendors. More ink to order, paper, cushion inventory for more anticipated orders. The list goes on.

I'm not sure about the undisclosed belief part. It could be that Glenn is more open minded than people may think. For example, I would have voted for Hillary over McCain if it came to it in the election. I'm very conservative but that doesn't mean I will go against party. Maybe Glenn feels the same way as he if from a family of life long democrats, etc. It may also hurt his objectives and the perception of viewers would get confused associating party versus his main objective to wake people up and get more active with what is happening in this country, etc.

ds_14035_04_v6.jpg

Everything is Hitler!!!

This is the majority of Beck's commentary. :lamo

I'd like to think that Glenn's motivation is to wake people up. Why not? Nonetheless, his show is mostly a gimmick (I watched it a few times to give him a chance).

Let's note his penchant for "6 evil degrees of separation", which he plays with political figures to the point of CT.

The comedy channel has two better news programs. Joy Behar is pretty good. Even O'Reilly is better than Beck. Hannity is worse. If you were watching Hannity, please continue with Beck instead. I hate Hannity. Well, hate is a strong word. He makes my skin crawl.

Last edited:
"Throw their own chickens in"

chickens-roosting.jpg

Oh yes Glenn Beck,

Glen Beck is an assclown. Anyone buying his crap has bigger problems than being just an uneducated, illiterate "redneck."

Just two nights ago Glenn had an interesting discussion with an author who wrote a book about centrally planned economies. There was a discussion on the same show with a professor, and immigrant from the former Soviet Union who was surprised how Americans take our freedom for granted. I didn't realize that if you defected from the Soviet Union in the 1970's they would punish your family that was still there. The discussion was very powerful and it made me appreciate that I can read any book I want without fear of prison. I was a show the other week and was talking with a rep who left the Soviet Union and is all smiles ear to ear when talking about America, but when asking him about life in the Soviet Union, their expression got very angry. So to sum up, I don't think you can generalize and state that the discussions aren't about anything?
Yeah, I can. That wasn't a discussion, that was a guy telling a story, something that could be done without Beck. Beck doesn't encourage any sort of discourse or discussion.

I agree that Beck uses what he reads to support his point of view, but that is usually what we all do for validation, and to check ourselves to make sure that we aren't the only ones who feel a certain way.
Except he doesnt talk like he's read all these things. He doesnt demonstrate that he's well-read.

He does make sarcastic remarks and over simplifies things, but it's a very powerful tool to get your point across.
If Beck's points were that well-shared or that earth-shatteringly insightful, he wouldnt need to wax sarcastic. I do it out of pure desire to be sarcastic :)

He's not doing it unconsciously in my opinion, in other words...I think if he "ACTED" like he was the authority on everything he read, he would turn his viewers off. People can go online and make an Amazon purchase and determine what to think.
So he thinks his audience is dumb?

Beck doesnt demonstrate that he knows all this stuff that he's claimed to have read. Someone that well-read should have more understanding than Beck demonstrates on his show. It's my bet that he skims for information he can sound-byte on-air and calls it a day.,

Glenn is creating jobs because the publishing companies have to print more books, which employs people, or keeps them employed because it's another order, the transportation companies ship them to the customers via planes, trains and automobiles, Amazon gets a cut or whatever e-commerce site people buy from etc. And all the other vendors. More ink to order, paper, cushion inventory for more anticipated orders. The list goes on.
I'd have to see some proof that this is the case. Generally, publishing houses will scale back publishing of less-popular books to make room for an up-and-coming book. The actual number of books produced doesnt change, just the books actually being shipped out.

I'm not sure about the undisclosed belief part. It could be that Glenn is more open minded than people may think. For example, I would have voted for Hillary over McCain if it came to it in the election. I'm very conservative but that doesn't mean I will go against party. Maybe Glenn feels the same way as he if from a family of life long democrats, etc. It may also hurt his objectives and the perception of viewers would get confused associating party versus his main objective to wake people up and get more active with what is happening in this country, etc.
I was actually asking you that question.

SO what we have learned from this thread is that Beck is like Oprah, except not as successful.

I respect Glenn's creativity and curiosity. I would like to see more of that from our progressive friends but they seem to all be about one thing: Bigger government and so goes the mantra. I like the discussion and Glenn asking questions, just like Michael Moore. We need discussion in this country especially about the history of our country.

Actually, this is what Glenn Beck tells you that progressives are all about, but it is not true. And if you think what Glenn does is an example of good discussion, then I'm afraid you are beyond help ;)

I mean, the man managed to link the word "empathy" to Nazi Germany. Really? That's having a discussion?

Yeah, I can. That wasn't a discussion, that was a guy telling a story, something that could be done without Beck. Beck doesn't encourage any sort of discourse or discussion.

Except he doesnt talk like he's read all these things. He doesnt demonstrate that he's well-read.

If Beck's points were that well-shared or that earth-shatteringly insightful, he wouldnt need to wax sarcastic. I do it out of pure desire to be sarcastic :)

So he thinks his audience is dumb?

Beck doesnt demonstrate that he knows all this stuff that he's claimed to have read. Someone that well-read should have more understanding than Beck demonstrates on his show. It's my bet that he skims for information he can sound-byte on-air and calls it a day.,

I'd have to see some proof that this is the case. Generally, publishing houses will scale back publishing of less-popular books to make room for an up-and-coming book. The actual number of books produced doesnt change, just the books actually being shipped out.

I was actually asking you that question.

What discourse do you need. Do you think the Soviet Union was a good idea?

Demonstrate that he's well read? I don't think the show has time for him to do that. I can understand the over simplified version and determine if I agree or not. I don't need a C-Span lecture with a show that has one central theme.

To each his own. Looks like you have a good analysis of what not to do if you ever decide to have your own show like Beck. I personally like him doing the "wax sarcastic" and like you point out these are not earth shattering insightful points, but I think what is insightful is the fact that the show talks a lot about our founders and the potential dangers if our country moves too far to the left or right, which I think is relevant.

No, I don't think Beck thinks his audience is dumb. He is recommending what he feels is important reading to his audience. We all recommend things? Are you perplexed that he is recommending old books that aren't relevant now, or that they aren't books that you would recommend?

I would ask for an example of Beck not demonstrating that he doesn't know all the stuff he has read. He obviously has strong opinions about what he has read, but we all have strong opinions about things in my opinion. I think a lot of the material is condensed for sound-bytes. Good form of advertising.

You could look at the actual production of books and it may not be more books, but it's another addition to the supply chain that wasn't there before his recommendation. If any company has a spike in production, it usually means more jobs.

It never crossed my mind to post my beliefs. By and large, I'm conservative in the sense that I want smaller government, more states rights, less taxes and less entitlements, but that doesn't mean that I always follow the Republican party line.

SO what we have learned from this thread is that Beck is like Oprah, except not as successful.

But still amazing if I may be so bold?

Glen Beck is an assclown. Anyone buying his crap has bigger problems than being just an uneducated, illiterate "redneck."

Yeah, an ass clown, and a bigoted mean spirited pompous ass like doz FAT CATS on wallstreet. They probably live in a trailer park and listen to Skynard and have a used bass tracker. Damn Inbred country folk!

But still amazing if I may be so bold?

I was amazed when he made the comments about the country needing civil political discourse. I was amazed when he said no one was was showing footage of the Flotilla raid that every network had shown. I guess you could say he is amazing, yes.

What discourse do you need. Do you think the Soviet Union was a good idea?
Im saying I dont see what's so blindingly insightful on Beck's part to have a guest come on and monologue something we pretty much knew already.

Demonstrate that he's well read? I don't think the show has time for him to do that. I can understand the over simplified version and determine if I agree or not. I don't need a C-Span lecture with a show that has one central theme.
The questions I see him ask and the points I see him scramble to make are NOT the kinds of things you get into if you have a basic education on civics.

To each his own. Looks like you have a good analysis of what not to do if you ever decide to have your own show like Beck. I personally like him doing the "wax sarcastic" and like you point out these are not earth shattering insightful points, but I think what is insightful is the fact that the show talks a lot about our founders and the potential dangers if our country moves too far to the left or right, which I think is relevant.
Except he DOESNT talk about the Right, or at least I've never seen him do it. I see him rant and rave about the left and Nazis and thats about it.

No, I don't think Beck thinks his audience is dumb. He is recommending what he feels is important reading to his audience. We all recommend things? Are you perplexed that he is recommending old books that aren't relevant now, or that they aren't books that you would recommend?
If you have to talk down to someone, you do it because you think they wont understand you. If Beck is hiding his knowledge, it means he thinks his audience either wont understand it or wont respect him for showing it which means he thinks his audience is stupid.

I would ask for an example of Beck not demonstrating that he doesn't know all the stuff he has read.
Watch any segment of Beck talking about history, American history especially. Somehow everything he brings up has a way of working out to favor whatever particular stance he happens to be taking today.

He obviously has strong opinions about what he has read, but we all have strong opinions about things in my opinion. I think a lot of the material is condensed for sound-bytes. Good form of advertising.
Strong opinions are fine, but you dont get to substitute those opinions for information when you feel like it. That's not how it works.

You could look at the actual production of books and it may not be more books, but it's another addition to the supply chain that wasn't there before his recommendation. If any company has a spike in production, it usually means more jobs.
Ok, why dont you show us some numbers. Show us that you can directly link Beck's recommendations with an upturn of book sales in general.

It never crossed my mind to post my beliefs. By and large, I'm conservative in the sense that I want smaller government, more states rights, less taxes and less entitlements, but that doesn't mean that I always follow the Republican party line.
Ok, it just struck me as a little odd because a lot of people on here who go with Undisclosed dont do a good job of ACTING like they dont want their status known.

I mean, the man managed to link the word "empathy" to Nazi Germany. Really? That's having a discussion?
Yes, it's having a discussion. Watch me link them:

Many progressives think that empathetic people must support government welfare. Nazi Germany had government welfare.

Zing.

Watch any segment of Beck talking about history, American history especially. Somehow everything he brings up has a way of working out to favor whatever particular stance he happens to be taking today.
Hey, you're starting to catch on! Maybe there's a reason why he's capable of doing it so effortlessly...:roll:

The questions I see him ask and the points I see him scramble to make are NOT the kinds of things you get into if you have a basic education on civics.
He's got plenty of uneducated people watching his show. One has to mold one's presentation of a message to suit the audience.

Except he DOESNT talk about the Right, or at least I've never seen him do it. I see him rant and rave about the left and Nazis and thats about it.
He's criticized government spending on both sides of the aisle, but sure, he definitely criticizes the left more because they agree with him less.

Last edited:

That might be the point to him. They might be building a sub-information culture to counter-act the information culture that is developing. I've no doubt what-so-ever that the celebrity is strategic communications, but pin-pointing his exact purpose is a little more complicated.

Yeah, an ass clown, and a bigoted mean spirited pompous ass like doz FAT CATS on wallstreet. They probably live in a trailer park and listen to Skynard and have a used bass tracker. Damn Inbred country folk!

I have no idea what you are trying to say with this. Are you under the completely mistaken impression that I have anything but distain for "doz FAT CATS on wallstreet"??? Wanna give it another shot friend?

were all on Amazons top 20 at the same time. Two of them were in the top 5, including the number one slot.

If you buy up your own spot-lighted books like Palin did it's not hard to accomplish this kind of crap. :)

Beck appeals to quite a few "educated" people that I know, and THAT is scary. Not so much Beck himself, but that we can have people with professional degrees who willingly swallow the crap that spews out of Beck's mouth...

Back
Top Bottom