• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Glenn Beck Goldline Ripoff

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
msnbc.com Video Player

I don't care for Weiner or Olbermann, but this is an interesting piece.
It amazes me how Beck exploits his followers...

Weiner doesn't rip on gold itself. His issue is with Goldline.

Like the saying goes, there's a sucker born every minute.

:prof Investing tip, if something is being pushed in commercials, it's going to create a bubble and will eventually crash.

msnbc.com Video Player

I don't care for Weiner or Olbermann, but this is an interesting piece.
It amazes me how Beck exploits his followers...

Weiner doesn't rip on gold itself. His issue is with Goldline.

If goldline is found to be doing anything wrong, it won't because Weiner was so brilliant in spotting it. It's because his hatred of Beck led him to Goldline in the first place. He never would have investigated any co. with an A+ rating unless he had an agenda.

This is how it works.

GoldlineGlennBeck4.jpg

If goldline is found to be doing anything wrong, it won't because Weiner was so brilliant in spotting it. It's because his hatred of Beck led him to Goldline in the first place. He never would have investigated any co. with an A+ rating unless he had an agenda.
True, there isn't a politician in the world that does things without an agenda. But, does that make what Goldline is actually doing any more palatable?

Of course a company has to make a profit, but this is bordering on fraud IMO.

Gold is an amazing asset to have. It is very smart to have in case the economy tanks - and it probably will. However, the margin these folks are getting and the way they are exploiting folks is... well...evil.

Whoops! Accidentally closed thread. Sorry about that....

Whoops! Accidentally closed thread. Sorry about that....

Wheee! wiping brow. I thought I was in venezuela for a minute. :)
********************************************************************************************

New to Weinerfacts? Interested in learning the truth about Weiner’s absurd accusations about Goldline and Glenn Beck? This is the place to start!
Here is the truth about Weiner’s claims from his WeinerReport, packaged in four easy to swallow posts, all predicated on our favorite WeinerQuote:
"I defy Glenn Beck to dispute the premise of the report." - Weiner

Premise defying Part 1 </weiner/2010/5/25/i-defy-glenn-beck-to-dispute-the-premise-of-the-report-weine.html>
Premise defying Part 2 <weiner/2010/5/25/i-defy-glenn-beck-to-dispute-the-premise-of-the-report-weine-1.html>
Premise defying Part 3 </weiner/2010/5/26/i-defy-glenn-beck-to-dispute-the-premise-of-the-report-weine.html>
Premise defying Part 4? </weiner/2010/5/27/i-defy-glenn-beck-to-dispute-the-premise-of-the-report-weine.html>

Weiner Facts - Home

Since Rip-off is in the title of this thread I decided to check out what ripoff.com had to say about goldline.

Goldline International Review | Rip-off Report #313623 [New Window]
Mar 1, 2008 ... INVESTIGATION: Goldline International's clients, feel safe, confident & secure when doing business with Goldline. Goldline's 100% commitment ...
Goldline International | Rip-off Report #313623

Wheee! wiping brow. I thought I was in venezuela for a minute. :)
********************************************************************************************

New to Weinerfacts? Interested in learning the truth about Weiner’s absurd accusations about Goldline and Glenn Beck? This is the place to start!
Here is the truth about Weiner’s claims from his WeinerReport, packaged in four easy to swallow posts, all predicated on our favorite WeinerQuote:
"I defy Glenn Beck to dispute the premise of the report." - Weiner

Premise defying Part 1 </weiner/2010/5/25/i-defy-glenn-beck-to-dispute-the-premise-of-the-report-weine.html>
Premise defying Part 2 <weiner/2010/5/25/i-defy-glenn-beck-to-dispute-the-premise-of-the-report-weine-1.html>
Premise defying Part 3 </weiner/2010/5/26/i-defy-glenn-beck-to-dispute-the-premise-of-the-report-weine.html>
Premise defying Part 4? </weiner/2010/5/27/i-defy-glenn-beck-to-dispute-the-premise-of-the-report-weine.html>

Weiner Facts - Home
Great reply. :)

1. BBB only deals with customer complaints. Even the most egregious firms that do not have negative complaints can be on the A list. AND, from what I understand, it takes quite a few hits for it to register and score low. Most peeps that purchase gold are in it for the long haul.
2. There was no refute of the claim (that I saw) of using 1933 executive order (that was overturned) for advertising scare tactic claims. That one is a doozy IMO.
3. The site seems dedicated to smearing him personally more than actually refuting his claims. The domain info on whois is private, this gives me suspicion of politics.

Since Rip-off is in the title of this thread I decided to check out what ripoff.com had to say about goldline.

Goldline International Review | Rip-off Report #313623 [New Window]
Mar 1, 2008 ... INVESTIGATION: Goldline International's clients, feel safe, confident & secure when doing business with Goldline. Goldline's 100% commitment ...
Goldline International | Rip-off Report #313623
No one has claimed their product is bad. Gold is kinda hard to screw up. It is either gold or not gold.
I am confident that if I were to purchase gold from Goldline that I would get the amount I purchased in great detail.

The claims are against the ethics of how it is sold and the significant markup - not what is sold.

For the record, I would advise everyone to purchase gold and store it away for a rainy day. Yah never know, but be wise about it and get it at a reasonable price.

Great reply. :)

1. BBB only deals with customer complaints. Even the most egregious firms that do not have negative complaints can be on the A list. AND, from what I understand, it takes quite a few hits for it to register and score low. Most peeps that purchase gold are in it for the long haul.
2. There was no refute of the claim (that I saw) of using 1933 executive order (that was overturned) for advertising scare tactic claims. That one is a doozy IMO.
3. The site seems dedicated to smearing him personally more than actually refuting his claims. The domain info on whois is private, this gives me suspicion of politics.

Oh, for sure weiner facts was set up by Glenn after Weiner took it upon himself to go after Glenn's sponsor. It's meant to piss off Weiner, while at the same time exposing his agenda.
It's still quite obvious why Weiner went after Goldline rather than gold dealers with poor ratings.

2. I was watching C-Span when they were grilling Goldline on this. The 1933 executive order is history. Are we really going to go down the road that anything that may cause someone to buy a product out of fear be banned. Hec, isn't fear used to sell MANY products. Fear you'll die without life insurance, fear you'll get your identity stolen if you don't buy a certain product, fear of global warming if you don't buy a certain car, light bulb, appliance,......fear that if you have certain sypmtons you have a desease that a certain pill will fix if you ask your doctor. Fear that the IRS will come after you if you don't call a certain co. to help you work thing out with them.
I don't see anything wrong with Goldline using the 1933 in their advertising. However from what I saw Congress may have strong armed them into getting rid of it. (just my take on the little bit I saw on C-span)

The Registrant is Mercury Radio Arts. Doing a google search on MPA and the name Glenn Beck appears.

The Registrant is Mercury Radio Arts. Doing a google search on MPA and the name Glenn Beck appears.

Yes, it was set up by Beck. He's made no secret of it. I think he's advertised it before while stuffing a hot dog in his mouth.

Yes, it was set up by Beck. He's made no secret of it. I think he's advertised it before while stuffing a hot dog in his mouth.

Not watching Beck leaves myself in the dark as to what he does/does not advertise. The posting was for informational purposes only and in noway be construed as demeaning/disrespectful to Mr. Beck.

Gold is an investment, not some miracle hedge against economic problems. Gold is a commodity and people make money off of gold by betting whether it will go up or down, just like the stock market. The people selling gold nowadays are all betting that gold will lose value compared to the dollar in the future, thus netting them a profit. If they actually believed that the dollar was going to become worthless, why the hell would they trade their precious gold for your dollars?

If you look at a graph of historical gold prices, currently we are in a gold bubble with seriously inflated prices. Most likely, the bubble will collapse and the people who bought gold at high prices are going to take a loss. Also, the dollar is currently not engaged in rampant inflation, in fact the dollar underwent slight deflation in 2009.

People taken in by con artists and their schemes, are more likely than not, to deny that they have been taken and defend the very con artists that do it to them. This is no different from any other con game, neither are the "marks."

Last edited:
I don't really get the big deal. Glenn says all the time to read about it and "decide for yourself if gold is right for you." He always says that it's not for everyone and for some people it would be really dumb to buy it (say, if you have pretty much no money to your name). Why can't people just decide for themselves if they want to buy from Goldline or not? I think buying gold is really stupid and I fail to see the point, but why would I care if someone buys from Goldline or how much Goldline marks up their products? No one is forced to buy it. Sheesh.

About Mercury Radio Arts
Mercury Radio Arts is Glenn Beck’s fully integrated multi-media production company. Mercury produces or co-produces all Glenn Beck related properties including The Glenn Beck Program, America’s third highest-rated radio show, Glenn Beck, one of the most successful new shows on the Fox News Channel, Beck’s New York Times bestselling books, his live stage-show business, destination website GlennBeck.com and consumer magazine Fusion. Founded in 2002, Mercury has a full time staff of 20 employees and is based in New York, NY.

On radio, Mercury produces The Glenn Beck Program, the third highest-rated national radio talk show among adults ages 25 to 54. The show is syndicated by Premiere Radio Networks and grew a remarkable 52% nationwide Year-to-Year in the A25-54 demo according to the Arbitron Fall 2008 Nationwide Survey.

On T.V., Mercury co-produces Beck's self-titled topical talk show on the Fox News Channel, which debuted on January 19th, 2009 to over 2.4 million viewers. Previously, Mercury co-produced Beck's nightly TV show on CNN Headline News, which he hosted from 2006-2008.

In publishing, Mercury works closely with Simon and Schuster to publish all of Beck’s books including The Christmas Sweater, which debuted at #1 on the New York Times fiction list and An Inconvenient Book, which debuted at #1 on the New York Times non-fiction list.

On stage, Mercury produces two live tours per year starring Beck, one in June and one in December. In total, over 200,000 fans have seen Glenn live on stage, in nearly forty different markets across the country.

Online, Mercury operates the GlennBeck.com web site, which receives millions of visitors a month. The GlennBeck.com Insider is a monthly subscription service that allows users to stream live audio of the Radio program, or podcast it to their computer. In addition, the Glenn Beck Program’s online newsletter is sent daily to over 1 million people.

Glenn Beck - About

I don't really get the big deal. Glenn says all the time to read about it and "decide for yourself if gold is right for you." He always says that it's not for everyone and for some people it would be really dumb to buy it (say, if you have pretty much no money to your name). Why can't people just decide for themselves if they want to buy from Goldline or not? I think buying gold is really stupid and I fail to see the point, but why would I care if someone buys from Goldline or how much Goldline marks up their products? No one is forced to buy it. Sheesh.

Because if people were responsible for thinking for themselves, what would we need democrats and progressives for?

As long as people are treated like victims, progressives stay in business.

Yessiree bubba...

... it's the victims of the con artists scams who are to blame for it happening, not the con artists running the schemes or those who aid and enable them.

Of course.

Yessiree bubba...

... it's the victims of the con artists scams who are to blame for it happening, not the con artists running the schemes or those who aid and enable them.

Of course.

I'm failing to see what the "con" is.

No one has claimed their product is bad. Gold is kinda hard to screw up. It is either gold or not gold.
I am confident that if I were to purchase gold from Goldline that I would get the amount I purchased in great detail.

The claims are against the ethics of how it is sold and the significant markup - not what is sold.

For the record, I would advise everyone to purchase gold and store it away for a rainy day. Yah never know, but be wise about it and get it at a reasonable price.

A fair assessment of the situation. Frankly, I'd stay away from Goldline and find another gold source for gold collector coins such as the Franklin Mint. At least you know what you're paying for and the markup isn't so outrageous!

The "con" is in the fear. Goldline and its spokespersons (in this case, Glenn Beck) are making the false claim that the economy won't recover, that gold is the only safe investment and that the government will take their gold investments away from them.

The "con" is in the extreme markup in the selling price of gold sold by Goldline for the collector coins they provide to their customers.

The two together create the worse con of them all because they play on the fears in the economy right now and, as such, Goldline is taking advantage of investors at all levels by selling them a product at a substantial price knowing their product doesn't have the highest purity of gold in them that is comparable with similar gold coins in the marketplace.

That's the con!

Last edited:

It is not as much a con as misrepresentation of how much the gold the person is buying is worth

A person buying a gold coin for $1000 is going to expect generally the gold content is worth about $1000 not $350. So the person now has gold worth $350 and a coin whose collector status might be worth another $650 if the collector value was/is real.

Basically Goldline is promoting ":collector" items as being as safe an investment as gold.

Not indending any disrespect, but considering your consistent defense of Beck, no matter what he does or says and you having his picture for your propic (or whatever they call it here) that's not much of a surprise.

Back
Top Bottom