• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Glenn Beck Goldline Ripoff

In spite of boom-bust gold prices, it is highly regarded as an inflation hedge and for go-to-the-mattresses safety. Gold, in one form or another, belongs in any well-balanced investment portfolio. The people I personally know who buy actual gold boullion buy it as a safety net. Lately, though, it's been a great investment as well. $273 in 2001 to $1300 today. Don't know about you, but I don't get many five-baggers. If I intended to sell. I don't. Boullion is for holding. Gold stocks for trading. JMVHO.
Sure, Gold can reduce risk. It may or may not be the best way to do that. In any case, it is utter foolishness to invest, right now, in gold. Unless you're planning on holding on to it until the next bubble. I am being facetious, because even then, there are much better places to put your money, right now. If a person wants gold in their portfolio, buy it AFTER it crashes. When everyone else is afraid to touch it. THEN hold it until the next bubble. That really is the ticket.

Actually I don't think it's much ado about nothing.
However the ado is about our government going after American citizens because they don't like what they are saying.

That is not what's happening. The government is going after a man using scare tactics to fool a lot of fools into falling for the scam the sponsors of his show (Goldline) are perpetrating. I really don't agree that it is ok to bilk foolish people. It just so happens it requires a Democrat to go after him because the Republicans wouldn't dream of it in a million years. No matter how horrible of a person he is.

You know, if a Republican did go after him, I would be all "Oh, wow, that takes some real integrity. I'm going to donate to that guy's campaign." Unfortunately, that won't happen because, that Republican, he'd lose far more from his campaign coffers than he'd gain from little ol' me.

Sure, Gold can reduce risk. It may or may not be the best way to do that. In any case, it is utter foolishness to invest, right now, in gold. Unless you're planning on holding on to it until the next bubble. I am being facetious, because even then, there are much better places to put your money, right now. If a person wants gold in their portfolio, buy it AFTER it crashes. When everyone else is afraid to touch it. THEN hold it until the next bubble. That really is the ticket.

Pretty much agree. I speak from the standpoint of having invested in gold boullion in 2001 (go-to-the-mattress security after 9/11). I've seen it rise from the approximately $300 I paid for it to its current value today. Nice profit. But I don't intend to sell it because I didn't buy it as an investment. I bought it as an inflation and doomsday hedge. If I really truly thought the price of gold would go down significantly, I'd probably sell it and do egzakly what you suggest. Rebuy later. And it may WELL go down. That's okay because of my original objective.

If YOU know it's foolish to invest in gold right now, then you must agree that the Congressional hearings are a waste of time. Foolish investors. Buying numismatic coins as an investment in gold.

That's very telling and insulting to suggest Glenn was GIVEN much. Please explain what exactly Beck was "given."

You're not a Christian then? Sorry, I thought you were.

Luke 12:48.

It may or may not be the best way to do that. In any case, it is utter foolishness to invest, right now, in gold. Unless you're planning on holding on to it until the next bubble. I am being facetious, because even then, there are much better places to put your money, right now. If a person wants gold in their portfolio, buy it AFTER it crashes. When everyone else is afraid to touch it. THEN hold it until the next bubble. That really is the ticket.

Or maybe not.

gold "absolutely" still a buy metal will double in 5 years frank holmes says: Tech Ticker, Yahoo! Finance

Sorry, but this is nothing more than your opinion. Why is it that Beck talks about the value of owning gold on his show, but then tries to get you to buy gold coins in his ad by saying the government could confiscate gold?

I've only heard Beck say he buys antique gold coins. I could be wrong though.

That is not what's happening. The government is going after a man using scare tactics to fool a lot of fools into falling for the scam the sponsors of his show (Goldline) are perpetrating. I really don't agree that it is ok to bilk foolish people. It just so happens it requires a Democrat to go after him because the Republicans wouldn't dream of it in a million years. No matter how horrible of a person he is.

You know, if a Republican did go after him, I would be all "Oh, wow, that takes some real integrity. I'm going to donate to that guy's campaign." Unfortunately, that won't happen because, that Republican, he'd lose far more from his campaign coffers than he'd gain from little ol' me.

I still haven't found where goldline is doing anything wrong. Ripoff.com even gives them plenty of kudos. Satisfied customers and all complaints are addressed in a timely, satisfactory manner according to what I read.

Of course there's a mark-up.

Yes, that was my point. You seemed to be saying in the post I responded to that there wasn't.

Anyway, buying collectibles, like you said, isn't like buying gold directly, it isn't really an investment. But even buying gold itself is risky with a 20% or 25% markup.

Back
Top Bottom