• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Glenn Beck Goldline Ripoff

That's an increible accusation Mellie. :roll: You've got it bad.[/QUOTE]

Not incredible at all. It's pretty obvious.

Do you honestly think they would be going after Goldline if they weren't a sponsor on Glenn's show?

Not incredible at all. It's pretty obvious.

Do you honestly think they would be going after Goldline if they weren't a sponsor on Glenn's show?

Yes, because they are committing fraud selling these coins as a hedge against the collapse of the dollar.

Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck....

And furthermore...

Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck Beck....

Broken record... Ya think?

The big kahuna started this thread. :mrgreen:

There's still a premium. Some companies have a markup like this for gold 'bullion':

1oz Gold Bullion Wafer

The average person would probably do better buying gold stocks, or, potentially even better than that, gold mining stocks.

Of course there's a mark-up. Nobody is going to sell you gold for spot. People need to shop the mark-up just like they shop anything else. I bought gold boullion in 2001, right after 9/11, for $311/ounce. If I remember right, it was a 10% premium. There would also be a 'commission' when it's sold. And one had better shop that.

Well he's not Florence Henderson. For some reason I cannot comprehend, he has a huge audience who honestly believes he would not represent a company that's basically running a con. They are going after Gold-line simply because Glenn Beck made them sound so good and used fear and intimadation to do it.

The bolded bit above; you don't see that sentence as being the least bit ironic? Generalize much?

I believe I qualified my thoughts when I said typical liberal mindset.

Watch the video I posted above, at :50 he starts fear mongering that Washington may come and take your gold (like FDR did in 1933) - so it's better to buy antique coins. This while he speaks about inflation and using gold in his program as a hedge against it.

Yes, I honestly did watch it, Pbrauer. Washington could confiscate gold. They could set a price for it. That isn't a lie. Buyer beware.

------

As to endorsing--think about Ed McMahon being the spokesperson for Liberty Mutual. Ever shop their rates for oldsters? Diet supplements? SlimFast; Atkins Diet; South Beach Diet -- all celebrity endorsed. All nonsense.

I just think it's much ado about nothing. At all.

As to endorsing--think about Ed McMahon being the spokesperson for Liberty Mutual. Ever shop their rates for oldsters? Diet supplements? SlimFast; Atkins Diet; South Beach Diet -- all celebrity endorsed. All nonsense.

Like I said about Florence Henderson. You're comparing apples and oranges. Glenn is at the top of his game, not some 'former celebrity' has-been.

Glenn is at the top of his game

I think that's the closest you've come to admitting why they're really going after Goldline.

msnbc.com Video Player

I don't care for Weiner or Olbermann, but this is an interesting piece.
It amazes me how Beck exploits his followers...

Weiner doesn't rip on gold itself. His issue is with Goldline.

What's more gullible? One buying gold from a supposed reputed seller and juiced out of money?
Or one buying gold-chain being told 'oh yeah, it's real' from a greased up salesmen at a kiosk? . . heck - at freaking Walmart?

Like the saying goes, there's a sucker born every minute.

:prof Investing tip, if something is being pushed in commercials, it's going to create a bubble and will eventually crash.

It's goldline, not gold itself. In fact, gold is the most stable of all methods of exchange. Consider the following:

1) In 1913, one ounce of gold could get you a couple of decent suits, a nice hat, a pair of shoes, and a night on the town - Cost in dollars? About 20.

2) Today, one ounce of gold can get you a couple of decent suits, a nice hat, a pair of shoes, and a night on the town - Cost in dollars? About 1200.

Does anybody see where I am going with this? Gold is the most stable of all currencies, and has remained so since Roman times. It has never lost it's purchasing power. The dollar, on the other hand, has become more worthless. In fact, most currencies throughout the world have to be adjusted for inflation. In the USA, it is much worse, because we have a Federal Reserve that prints money from thin air, thus weakening it's purchasing power. Add to that the concept known as fractional banking, Where 10 times the money authorized by the Fed can be created out of thin air, and the problem becomes obvious.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that, over the long haul, gold is a damn good investment, just as long as you don't get sucked in by the scams that appear on Glenn Beck. In the end, investing wisely in gold enables you to avoid the most insidious tax of them all - That hidden one, known as inflation.

Last edited:
SHHH! Dont tell anyone its a rip off. Lets just sit back and laugh as he steals from the stupid. They kinda deserve it. Really!

It's goldline, not gold itself. In fact, gold is the most stable of all methods of exchange. Consider the following:

1) In 1913, one ounce of gold could get you a couple of decent suits, a nice hat, a pair of shoes, and a night on the town - Cost in dollars? About 20.

2) Today, one ounce of gold can get you a couple of decent suits, a nice hat, a pair of shoes, and a night on the town - Cost in dollars? About 1200.

Does anybody see where I am going with this? Gold is the most stable of all currencies, and has remained so since Roman times. It has never lost it's purchasing power. The dollar, on the other hand, has become more worthless. In fact, most currencies throughout the world have to be adjusted for inflation. In the USA, it is much worse, because we have a Federal Reserve that prints money from thin air, thus weakening it's purchasing power. Add to that the concept known as fractional banking, Where 10 times the money authorized by the Fed can be created out of thin air, and the problem becomes obvious.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that, over the long haul, gold is a damn good investment, just as long as you don't get sucked in by the scams that appear on Glenn Beck. In the end, investing wisely in gold enables you to avoid the most insidious tax of them all - That hidden one, known as inflation.

It's not impervious to a bubble though. I've heart an awful lot of talk about it, other commercials about it, and I believe they use the the media to help drive up costs, even of this commodity.

Gold a good investment? Dan, you just described how gold has been entirely stable. If true, that would mean that for your 'investment' you would have netted ZERO gain. That's not that great an investment. People make investments to makes gains, not spin their wheels.

And... it is not as stable as you claim. It moves around its true equilibrium in bubbles and busts just like the other commodities. It is definitely in a huge bubble right now. I would venture that gold's bubbles are more pronounced than other commodities. People seems to be irrational about gold and thereby more easily led by their fears on top of wishful thinking.

As for Beck (really replying to the many replies blaming the victims of his scamming): It is demonstrated that he is dishonest and does not have integrity. With regard to this thread, that is the bottom line. Whether people are gullible enough to fall for his dishonesty, and shouldn't be, is really beside the point.

I think that's the closest you've come to admitting why they're really going after Goldline.

Admitting? Mellie, seriously. Your adulation is way the **** over the top. He is a man. Because he has been given much, he is expected to be more accountable. It is not such a difficult concept.

Gold a good investment? Dan, you just described how gold has been entirely stable. If true, that would mean that for your 'investment' you would have netted ZERO gain. That's not that great an investment. People make investments to makes gains, not spin their wheels.

And... it is not as stable as you claim. It moves around its true equilibrium in bubbles and busts just like the other commodities. It is definitely in a huge bubble right now. I would venture that gold's bubbles are more pronounced than other commodities. People seems to be irrational about gold and thereby more easily led by their fears on top of wishful thinking.

As for Beck (really replying to the many replies blaming the victims of his scamming): It is demonstrated that he is dishonest and does not have integrity. With regard to this thread, that is the bottom line. Whether people are gullible enough to fall for his dishonesty, and shouldn't be, is really beside the point.

In spite of boom-bust gold prices, it is highly regarded as an inflation hedge and for go-to-the-mattresses safety. Gold, in one form or another, belongs in any well-balanced investment portfolio. The people I personally know who buy actual gold boullion buy it as a safety net. Lately, though, it's been a great investment as well. $273 in 2001 to $1300 today. Don't know about you, but I don't get many five-baggers. If I intended to sell. I don't. Boullion is for holding. Gold stocks for trading. JMVHO.

What would you prefer? Zero gain, or a net loss, by keeping your money in the bank?

And when the golden bubble burst it will be all Obama's fault cause .... well you know .... he's out to get conservatives.

^Yes that was snark.

London Fix Historical gold - result

Does gold look stable to you now? Gold, like any other investment is based on the principle of buy low and sell high. If you buy it an an inflated price, you will lose value if the prices drops. As you can see from the chart, the price of gold is way higher than is usual, probably meaning it is going to crash at some point. Very likely, people who are buying gold at $1300+ are not going to come out ahead.

Current Inflation Rates | Monthly and Yearly Chart, Graph and Table: 2000-2010 Data - US Inflation Calculator

The dollars value has been quite stable for the past 2 decades. Even the financial crisis resulted in slight deflation rather than rampant money printing. Single digit inflation is pretty much optimal for a credit-based economy like we have in the U.S. It is quite strange that people are worried about the dollar becoming worthless when it is in fact quite healthy.

A real hedge against inflation is an inflation-adjusted bond. Like the name suggests, the value of the bond will increase if the dollar inflates, insuring that it maintains is value regardless of how much money is printed.

He'd be right at home on some ancient battlefield, swinging an axe into somebody's face.

Totally OT: is your quote from a Simon Green, Drood novel?

Totally OT: is your quote from a Simon Green, Drood novel?

It is from the movie Sin City. I put it in 4 years ago and honestly had forgotten it was even there until you brought it up.

Last edited:
It is from the movie Sin City. I put it in 4 years ago and honestly had forgotten it was even there until you brought it up.

I love Sin City. No wonder it sounded familiar.

9848.gif
That's an increible accusation Mellie. :roll: You've got it bad.

She is correct pbrauer. Those in Obama's administation will try anything to discredit Fox and especially Glenn Beck. If Levin, Ingraham, Beck and any number of Conservative talkers were all advertising another Gold co. they would go after that one. They chose Goldline for a reason. Maybe if Goldline had an F rating like at least one I saw it might not be so obvious. As Goldline has an A+ and happens to be a sponsor of several Conservative talkers it's blatantly obvious why they are doing this.

Of course there's a mark-up. Nobody is going to sell you gold for spot. People need to shop the mark-up just like they shop anything else. I bought gold boullion in 2001, right after 9/11, for $311/ounce. If I remember right, it was a 10% premium. There would also be a 'commission' when it's sold. And one had better shop that.

I believe I qualified my thoughts when I said typical liberal mindset.

Yes, I honestly did watch it, Pbrauer. Washington could confiscate gold. They could set a price for it. That isn't a lie. Buyer beware.

------

Actually I don't think it's much ado about nothing.
However the ado is about our government going after American citizens because they don't like what they are saying.

Like I said about Florence Henderson. You're comparing apples and oranges. Glenn is at the top of his game, not some 'former celebrity' has-been.

So if you're not at the top of your game it's acceptable to advertise a product the same way Beck does. Since he is at the top of his game it's time to knock him down? What does any of that have to do with consumer protection?

Admitting? Mellie, seriously. Your adulation is way the **** over the top. He is a man. Because he has been given much, he is expected to be more accountable. It is not such a difficult concept.

That's very telling and insulting to suggest Glenn was GIVEN much. Please explain what exactly Beck was "given."

She is correct pbrauer. Those in Obama's administation will try anything to discredit Fox and especially Glenn Beck. If Levin, Ingraham, Beck and any number of Conservative talkers were all advertising another Gold co. they would go after that one.[/B]They chose Goldline for a reason. Maybe if Goldline had an F rating like at least one I saw it might not be so obvious. As Goldline has an A+ and happens to be a sponsor of several Conservative talkers it's blatantly obvious why they are doing this.
Sorry, but this is nothing more than your opinion. Why is it that Beck talks about the value of owning gold on his show, but then tries to get you to buy gold coins in his ad by saying the government could confiscate gold?

Anyone who doesn't understand that investing in GOLD is different than investing for numismatic value is just too naive to be investing in gold at ALL.
She is correct on this statement.

Back
Top Bottom