• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Glenn Beck FORBES Interview

Hoplite

Technomancer
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Forbes.com - Magazine Article

"I could give a flying crap about the political process."

Hrm....this is a little interesting.

Some of the highlights, basically Beck seems to care less about politics and more about entertainment and making money.

Forbes.com Video Network | Celebrities: Brand It Like Beck

He refers to his repertoire as a "brand" but what strikes me as a little...off, is during the video interview, he says that a big part of the reason a lot of people watch him is because, "he's putting it out there, like he believes it."

To me, that says Beck is well aware that a lot of his audience genuinely buys his act and he's perfectly happy to let them believe it to advance his "brand." He goes on to call his move to FOX a business move. This is a guy who doesnt seem to really care about what he talks about on the air, he describes instances of when he ends up in the news as annoying because they damage his image.

I have to give credit to Beck on this, though. I was one of the individuals who believed, yes, this man is truly that insane and when I saw him I had the same reaction that people usually have to a caged chimpanzee. I thought he was genuinely THAT crazy.

Apparently, I was wrong. He seems to feel that his entire career is centered completely around making fistfuls of money. On some level, I did have some respect for Beck and I admit this very begrudgingly, but I did have a small degree of respect for Beck for being willing to make himself into such a laughingstock yet still do what he does because he believed it. He may have been nuttier than a squirrel turd and I probably couldnt agree on a choice of movies with the guy, but he carried it like he meant it.

Part of me sort of thought that at least some of his act was for attention and the ratings and the money. But I have to say, hearing it out of his own mouth saying that his entire shtick is a "brand" and that he doesnt really care about the politics is sort of a let down.

He's very good at getting the money, but then again so is a bank robber, I have no particular respect for the ability to make tons of money. So to find out Beck is basically a successful snake oil salesman...I have to admit is a bit of a let-down.

Damn, I didn't think finding this out would depress me as much as it does :D

Forbes.com - Magazine Article

"I could give a flying crap about the political process."

Hrm....this is a little interesting.

Some of the highlights, basically Beck seems to care less about politics and more about entertainment and making money.

Forbes.com Video Network | Celebrities: Brand It Like Beck

He refers to his repertoire as a "brand" but what strikes me as a little...off, is during the video interview, he says that a big part of the reason a lot of people watch him is because, "he's putting it out there, like he believes it."

To me, that says Beck is well aware that a lot of his audience genuinely buys his act and he's perfectly happy to let them believe it to advance his "brand." He goes on to call his move to FOX a business move. This is a guy who doesnt seem to really care about what he talks about on the air, he describes instances of when he ends up in the news as annoying because they damage his image.

I have to give credit to Beck on this, though. I was one of the individuals who believed, yes, this man is truly that insane and when I saw him I had the same reaction that people usually have to a caged chimpanzee. I thought he was genuinely THAT crazy.

Apparently, I was wrong. He seems to feel that his entire career is centered completely around making fistfuls of money. On some level, I did have some respect for Beck and I admit this very begrudgingly, but I did have a small degree of respect for Beck for being willing to make himself into such a laughingstock yet still do what he does because he believed it. He may have been nuttier than a squirrel turd and I probably couldnt agree on a choice of movies with the guy, but he carried it like he meant it.

Part of me sort of thought that at least some of his act was for attention and the ratings and the money. But I have to say, hearing it out of his own mouth saying that his entire shtick is a "brand" and that he doesnt really care about the politics is sort of a let down.

He's very good at getting the money, but then again so is a bank robber, I have no particular respect for the ability to make tons of money. So to find out Beck is basically a successful snake oil salesman...I have to admit is a bit of a let-down.

Damn, I didn't think finding this out would depress me as much as it does :D

This doesn't bother me (or surprise me) in the least. Regardless of what else you think of him, Glen Beck is clearly a shrewd businessman. There are a lot of people out there who want someone with 'authority' to tell them the things they want to hear, and most of them are willing to pay for the privilege. Someone willing to say what those people want to hear regardless of whether or not it's true or honest, can make a ****-ton of money.

No doubt Beck is good at the job he does, Of course Fox was a good business move because only their audience would buy into the bull he says.

No doubt Beck is good at the job he does, Of course Fox was a good business move because only their audience would buy into the bull he says.

Fox isn't doing anything more than what Glen Beck is doing. They're just doing it on a larger scale. There's plenty of people out there that want their news with a conservative slant to it, and lots of money to be made giving those people exactly what they want.

I've been saying this for ages and nobody ****ing listened!

Beck could say this straight to his audience, though, and they'd just rationalize it as Beck trying to throw off liberals or satisfy stockholders or something.

Last edited:
I've been saying this for ages and nobody ****ing listened!

Beck could say this straight to his audience, though, and they'd just rationalize it as Beck trying to throw off liberals or satisfy stockholders or something.

He's already admitted before that his show is meant for entertainment purposes.

Hey folks, Glen Beck is not serious.

A highly edited video of Beck used against him is indeed real pathetic hoplite. You are correct.

I guess it's ok if a liberal does it, but damn if a republican does it, it's time to make a 40 page thread about "Faux" news LOL

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom