• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Glenn Beck Does Not Oppose Gay Marriage

Catz Part Deux

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Glenn Beck does not oppose gay marriage | Media Matters for America

O'REILLY: But let's take the gay marriage deal. Big ruling in California. You really didn't cover that much, right?

BECK: Nope.

O'REILLY: Why?

BECK: Because honestly I think we have bigger fish to fry. You can argue about abortion or gay marriage or whatever --

O'REILLY: Yeah.

BECK: -- all you want.

O'REILLY: Yeah.

BECK: The country is burning down. I personally think these--

O'REILLY: But isn't that one of the reasons because we are getting away from the traditional way we used to live into this progressive--

BECK: So let's get back to -- instead of arguing about these divisive things, let's get back into our churches and our synagogues and--

O'REILLY: You're not going to get people going back unless there is a reason to go back.

BECK: But here is the reason, America. Your country is burning down. I don't think marriage, that the government actually has anything to do with -

O'REILLY: But they do have.

BECK: --what is a religious right.

O'REILLY: I know, but they do have something to do, because gay marriage is going to be a reality in this country in 10 years.

BECK: Why do they have anything to do with it?

O'REILLY: Because they choose to, and you're not going to stop 'em.

BECK: This is where we disagree.

O'REILLY: The Supreme Court may rule against gay marriage, very possible it would be a 5-4.

BECK: You're willing to continue to go down the road of just accepting well that's the way it is.

O'REILLY: I'm not accepting anything. I wrote a book about it! Don't give me this "accepting." Come on.

BECK: He's so hostile.

O'REILLY: Yeah

BECK: Need a little Jesus?

O'REILLY: I have to correct you. I do. You are ignoring the profound change in the American family. In the way --

BECK: No, I'm not. No I'm not.

O'REILLY: But you are not covering it?

BECK: Because I think that the thing that needs to be covered -- Bill, I believe in a symphony. If we are all playing clarinets we ain't gonna get very far. A symphony needs to sound. I'm covering what I cover. You cover what you cover. Both of us are saying the same thing. Watch the culture.

O'REILLY: Do you believe -- do you believe that gay marriage is a threat to the country in any way?

BECK: A threat to the country?

O'REILLY: Yeah, it going to harm the country?

BECK: No, I don't. Will the gays come and get us?

O'REILLY: OK. Is it going to harm the country in any way?

BECK: I believe -- I believe what Thomas Jefferson said. If it neither breaks my leg nor picks my pocket, what difference is it to me?

O'REILLY: OK, so you don't. That's interesting. Because I don't think a lot of people understand that about you.

BECK: As long as we -- as long as we are not going down the road of Canada, where it now is a problem for churches to have free speech. If they can still say, hey, we --

O'REILLY: Oppose it --

BECK: -- we oppose it --

O'REILLY: Right.

BECK: -- but we're not trying to kill anybody or trying to --

O'REILLY: In Sweden they have that too. OK, so gay marriage to you, not a big a threat to the nation.

Interesting. I would not have guessed this.

I wonder how his audience will react to this.

Beck is starting to toe the limits of the populist line

Not surprising at all for people who actually listen to him instead of whatever sound bite they want you to hear.

Not surprising at all for people who actually listen to him instead of whatever sound bite they want you to hear.

True, it didn't surprise me.
Geeze, doesn't this thread seem rather slow?
Usually anything with Glenn Beck as the subject would have at least a hundred posts by now.
I guess if people can't find anything bad to say about him, they won't say anything.

True, it didn't surprise me.
Geeze, doesn't this thread seem rather slow?
Usually anything with Glenn Beck as the subject would have at least a hundred posts by now.
I guess if people can't find anything bad to say about him, they won't say anything.
We are not required to comment.

Glenn Beck is a populist. I am curious to see if this damages his popularity with his target audience.

We are not required to comment.

Glenn Beck is a populist. I am curious to see if this damages his popularity with his target audience.

Most of his audience knows he's a libertarian. I'm not an expert on them but don't they mostly want to live and let live?
I'm a Conservative but mostly don't have an opinion one way or another on Gay marriage except that I think it should be left up to the states. I'm all for them having civil unions and any benefits that a married couple would have. I'm also for openly gays in the military. What's taking Obama so long?

I can't stand the man and I still posted this thread. Logic fail. But then, that's nothing new.
I know you did and thought that was very civil of you. I was just referring to the slowness of a Glenn Beck thread.
Maybe it's gonna pick up and I should have just kept my thoughts to myself.

Most of his audience knows he's a libertarian. I'm not an expert on them but don't they mostly want to live and let live?
A lot of Beck's audience are on the extreme Conservative side of Libertarian or are hardcore Conservatives. Keep in mind, this does include the teabaggers.

A lot of Beck's audience are on the extreme Conservative side of Libertarian or are hardcore Conservatives. Keep in mind, this does include the tea party members.

I don't think there will be much of an impact on his audience.

The title of the thread is incorrect. Beck does oppose gay marriage, as you can see in this video:

The correct phrasing is: Beck does not support the opposition to gay marriage.

Yes and no. Glenn Beck is a big fan of reconstructionism and consistently invites reconstructionist historians to talk on his show. David Barton is a good example of this. They essentially want American laws to reflect Biblical (including old testament) views on morality.

I find that somewhat incompatible with being laissez faire about gay marriage.

Glenn Beck's repeated emphasis that this is a Christian nation, and attempting to rewrite the views of the founding fathers on the matter, seems to be in conflict with simultaneously being pro gay marriage.

On the other hand, maybe he's revised his opinion?

Last edited:
I know you did and thought that was very civil of you. I was just referring to the slowness of a Glenn Beck thread.
Maybe it's gonna pick up and I should have just kept my thoughts to myself.

I think maybe that has to do with where I posted it. I wavered. thanks, though, for the compliment.

He's for civil unions, not gay marriage. I know it's not a huge discrepancy, but worth pointing out.

YouTube - Beck's Conspiracy Theory About Gay Marriage

As far as me being surprised or shocked that he actually has a rational stance on the issue, I'm just not. He still says plenty of other nutty **** for me to laugh at.

By conservatives? His views seem internally conflicted.

I think his lack of support for the opposition to gay marriage stems from thinking regarding ratings, rather than his own viewpoint. Opposing gay marriage alienates some libertarian viewers/listeners and they are his core audience right now. But supporting gay marriage is just as dangeous for him, as that would alienate many conservatives who follow him. It's a tricky subject for him and that's why he doesn't often talk about it. Although I rarely watch or listen to him. But this is what I've experienced and inferred.

He's for civil unions, not gay marriage. I know it's not a huge discrepancy, but worth pointing out.

And that's probably what he actually believes, business decisions aside. Although I just posted that video too...

I think his lack of support for the opposition to gay marriage stems from thinking regarding ratings, rather than his own viewpoint. Opposing gay marriage alienates some libertarian viewers/listeners and they are his core audience right now. But supporting gay marriage is just as dangeous for him, as that would alienate many conservatives who follow him. It's a tricky subject for him and that's why he doesn't often talk about it. Although I rarely watch or listen to him. But this is what I've experienced and inferred.

And that's probably what he actually believes, business decisions aside. Although I just posted that video too...

I know I'll probably regret getting into this because I know how much he is hated and believed to be a liar and in it for the money and ratings and will just say anything.. but here goes.

Glenn Beck is a recovering alcoholic. He's a member of AA. I'm not doing anything wrong by saying this. He has outed himself on the radio and TV. To my best guess I'd say he's been sober at least 17 yrs. He wouldn't be sober if he wasn't following the program. AA is a program of honesty. You really can't be a liar and stay sober when you're an alcoholic.
When he starts lying he'll soon be back being a sleezball and a drunk.
I can tell he works the steps on a regular basis and I believe everything he says, or I believe he believes it.
Make fun of me if you want, I don't really care. I just feel like sticking up for a fellow alchoholic.

But he mostly does it for ratings. There is a level of sensationalism which infects the majority of our mass media and Beck is no stranger to it. The purpose of sensationalism is to overly emotionalize arguments so that people think in more reactionary terms than rational terms.

Back
Top Bottom