• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Glee's Cory Monteith dies of overdose

Μολὼν λαβέ

Si vis pacem, para bellum
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
VANCOUVER, British Columbia (AP) — ‘‘Glee’’ actor Cory Monteith, who had struggled for years with substance abuse and once said he was lucky to be alive, died of an overdose of heroin and alcohol, the British Columbia coroner’s office said Tuesday.

‘‘Our belief is that when he took the heroin he was alone,’’ said Vancouver Police Department spokesman Brian Montague. He added: ‘‘There was evidence in the room that was consistent with a drug overdose.

Coroner: 'Glee' actor Monteith died of overdose - Canada news - Boston.com

So why again should heroine be legal?

Μολὼν λαβέ;1062067140 said:
So why again should heroine be legal?

Seems you have selective reading. He died from overdosing on a combination of two drugs.

One was heroin, and in 2009 (the most recent year I can find solid data for) it caused nearly 3500 deaths in America

The other was alcohol, and every year it causes an average of around 80,000 deaths in America.

You should be embarrassed by the way you worded your question and approached the issue. Clearly you are unconcerned with logic and reason.

Seems you have selective reading. He died from overdosing on a combination of two drugs.

One was heroin, and in 2009 (the most recent year I can find solid data for) it caused nearly 3500 deaths in America

The other was alcohol, and every year it causes an average of around 80,000 deaths in America.

You should be embarrassed by the way you worded your question and approached the issue. Clearly you are unconcerned with logic and reason.

Not at all. It's a logical question you seem to be taking personally. Why are you dodging it? If you think alcohol should be illegal then by all means opine.

I really have no sympathy for somebody who works their ass off and finally makes it big only to kill themselves with drugs. Where are all the libertarians arguing for drug legalization in response to this?

An addict is an addict. The rest are just details.

Μολὼν λαβέ;1062067235 said:
Not at all. It's a logical question you seem to be taking personally. Why are you dodging it? If you think alcohol should be illegal then by all means opine.

Of course it's illogical. You just read about a dude dying from an overdose of two drugs. One kills more than twenty times the amount of people as the other and is perfectly legal, yet you chose to question the one that poses relatively insignificant problems.

And yes, I do take it personally, despite never having touched heroin in my life (and having no desire to do so). I get frustrated by people who like to completely ignore the massive damage done by alcohol while going off on rants against other comparatively harmless substances.

You just read an article about a man who died from using two drugs, but you only care about one because you use the other yourself.

Haymarket said:
Where are all the libertarians arguing for drug legalization in response to this?
Right here, just waiting for you darling.

Such a great talent. Why do people ruin their lives by getting into drugs?

What difference does it make to you? He is a grown adult. he makes his own decisions. He was not put on this earth to serve or please you. You lost nothing in his passing. It was his choice to do heroin, and as much as i may not be bothered with the substance myself, it is not my choice to make for him. Before i go telling you why it should be legal why don't you tell us all who you are to make a choice for someone else. Because if you cannot answer that question and prove to us your commands mean anything to our enjoyment of life then you have no business getting involved in someone else's life and choices if it does not effect you in any way.

Because this man's death is evidence that the prohibition has failed. It could not and did not prevent access to the forbidden substances.

Further, if you were paying attention, you would know that with controlled access to this drug, under the supervision of medical professionals, the use of the drug is not fatal at all. Many countries have policies that allow this, and deaths are rare. In clinical settings, proper use of the drug allows users to be fully functioning and productive members of society.

Probably the first documented case of this goes back to John Halstead MD, one of the founders of Johns Hopkins Medical School. He self administered for many years and was a functioning physician.

Because this man's death is evidence that the prohibition has failed. It could not and did not prevent access to the forbidden substances.

Further, if you were paying attention, you would know that with controlled access to this drug, under the supervision of medical professionals, the use of the drug is not fatal at all. Many countries have policies that allow this, and deaths are rare. In clinical settings, proper use of the drug allows users to be fully functioning and productive members of society.

Probably the first documented case of this goes back to John Halstead MD, one of the founders of Johns Hopkins Medical School. He self administered for many years and was a functioning physician.

I don't see how legalized use of heroin would have prevented him from using heroin.

One idea pops out at me: to get rid of people so stupid that they could have everything and still get addicted to drugs. Might improve our gene pool.
Seems like they are getting rid of themselves just fine.

I don't see how legalized use of heroin would have prevented him from using heroin.

There is a good chance, depending upon the model of legalization that might be operative in the hypothetical, that the man's use of heroin would have been to some degree or another, under medical supervision.

So to answer your question, it would not have STOPPED him from using per se, but MIGHT HAVE helped him use in responsible manner, with pure substance and regulated dosage, and avoid death. If he intended to commit suicide, there is nothing could have been done.

Frequently, heroin use leads to death for 2 big reasons: contaminated drugs from the street black market, and overdose because of lack of uniform and safe dosage.

It would have meant that he'd be viewed as someone with a medical problem rather than a criminal. That makes it a lot easier to get help. It also makes it more likely he would have been using it relatively safely, as evidenced by countries like Portugal where it has been decriminalised and there have been massive drops in deaths and overall use (that actually applies to all drugs).

Edit: It's also worth noting (again) that he died from ODing on two drugs that are known not to mix well. One of them is entirely legal and most of you probably drink it. It kills tens of thousands of people in your country every year, and you probably have a can of it in your fridge right now. If you went upstairs to your medicine cabinet, popped a bunch of painkillers, then went and drank a bottle or two of whiskey, I'm pretty sure you'd end up as dead as this guy. No one here would be starting threads asking if we should ban alcohol or painkillers.

Last edited:
I really have no sympathy for somebody who works their ass off and finally makes it big only to kill themselves with drugs. Where are all the libertarians arguing for drug legalization in response to this?

Well if you have no sympathy, why would you care if they kill themselves with drugs . . . or with anything else for that matter?

Does anyone really think that Monteith was more likely to seek treatment for his addiction (assuming he truly was addicted, I have no idea) in a society where drug use is criminalized, or that if drugs were legal, perhaps he would have sought treatment instead of shooting up in a hotel alone?

It would have meant that he'd be viewed as someone with a medical problem rather than a criminal. That makes it a lot easier to get help. It also makes it more likely he would have been using it relatively safely, as evidenced by countries like Portugal where it has been decriminalised and there have been massive drops in deaths and overall use (that actually applies to all drugs).

Edit: It's also worth noting (again) that he died from ODing on two drugs that are known not to mix well. One of them is entirely legal and most of you probably drink it. It kills tens of thousands of people in your country every year, and you probably have a can of it in your fridge right now. If you went upstairs to your medicine cabinet, popped a bunch of painkillers, then went and drank a bottle or two of whiskey, I'm pretty sure you'd end up as dead as this guy. No one here would be starting threads asking if we should ban alcohol or painkillers.

He had medical help just this year. personally, I think taking an OD as a moment to argue for legalization is about as bizarre a moment as one could take.

He had medical help just this year. personally, I think taking an OD as a moment to argue for legalization is about as bizarre a moment as one could take.

That's because you're ignoring the fact that part of his fatal overdose was a drug that you probably use recreationally and aren't arguing in favor of prohibiting, and because you simply haven't looked at the facts.

Decriminalizing Drugs in Portugal a Success, Says Report - TIME

Drug Decriminalization in Portugal: Lessons for Creating Fair and Successful Drug Policies | Cato Institute

Well if you have no sympathy, why would you care if they kill themselves with drugs . . . or with anything else for that matter?

those are two different things. I certainly do not want young people to emulate that type of tragic behavior so in that respect I do care about the issue.

Which of these substances is deadlier based on number of deaths per year?
Rank them from most deadly to least deadly?

Heroine
Tobacco
Alcohol
Sugar
Salt
High Fructose Corn Syrup

Back
Top Bottom