• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Glasses - In or Out?

Glasses - Yay or Nay?

• Glasses are unattractive and for NERDS!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Glasses are OUT of style

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

TheGirlNextDoor


DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Glasses used to be anything but a fashion statement. Today is a little different in that often times, glasses styles are seen as a stylish accessory.

So is the old saying, "Guys don't make passes at girls who wear glasses" true or is that hangup a thing of the past?

So is the old saying, "Guys don't make passes at girls who wear glasses" true or is that hangup a thing of the past?

That's the second Doroty Parker quote I've seen here in the last few days.

I think glasses are Hawt, though, myself -- especially if they are worn towards the tip of a turned up nose..

Glasses used to be anything but a fashion statement. Today is a little different in that often times, glasses styles are seen as a stylish accessory.

DEFIITELY a thing of the past. Glasses can be very very sexy on a woman, if she lets them.

That's the second Doroty Parker quote I've seen here in the last few days.

I think glasses are Hawt, though, myself -- especially if they are worn towards the tip of a turned up nose..

I wear glasses, myself. Years ago I wouldn't have been caught DEAD wearing glasses out in public and always wore my contacts. :mrgreen:

Now... I can't stand contacts and always wear glasses. I do have about 8 pair that I can change out to fit my mood and/or occasion.

Honestly... I ask because I've been considering lasik, but wanted to know what others thought about the whole glasses-attraction-perception. Not that it's a huge deal to me... I just know that in a few years I'd probably have to have reading glasses anyway, regardless of whether or not I had lasik.... so I'm not sure if it'd be worth the money for me to have the surgery. *shrug*

Glasses can be sexy, but they can get in the way and can break or get scratched, while contacts are irksome and can hurt if left in overnight. If I get anything in my eye it hurts a lot more with contacts in and takes longer for it to go away.

I'd love to get lasik, but it's expensive and I've heard of negative consequences from getting it done. Plus there's no way I'd be able to sit there while they cut my eye open while I'm awake.

The old saying was never true.

Guys that can only see the spectacles are blind, anyway.

Guys make passes at girls with asses, always.

I like a girl with glasses, but unless she has a good personality it means jack.

:rofl I've worn glasses since I was 6 months old - I've gotten plenty of dick, too. :shrug: If it prevented me from getting some that's probably a good thing :)

I've never considered glasses to be anything other than a necessity.
I try to get them so *I* don't notice them - I can't stand *seeing* dark edges of the frame when I'm driving, etc. . . I could care less what others think nor do I ever notice someone else's glasses.

I think, though, that there are *styles* that are dated to an era in the past - massively large globes are dated to the 70's and 80's. Overly ornate frames are pegged to the 60's and 70's. Black and thick is the 80's, as well.

I try to avoid 'dated' glasses - and anything resembling coke-bottles purely because I use to have them and I really couldn't stand seeing them around my eyes.

but that's the adult-me with my mature view.

As a kid I hated them, begged and begged for years to get contacts. When I *finally* got contact lenses I couldn't stand the maintenance and eye-drops and all that, I also felt odd and naked without my glasses on (20 years of wearing makes it VERY habitual) - so I stopped wearing contacts and likely won't go to them ever.

I, also, have no desire for more surgeries - I have issues beyond 'near/far' sighted and have had several corrective surgeries - and loath the idea. They're *just* glasses - not worth *that* drama.

Last edited:
Most of my frames are dark and squareish, like my profile pic. I've worn glasses since the age of 3 and I'm 41 now... I used to HATE them, but now I actually PREFER them.

Anyway.. just wondering about lasik and if it's worth it, or if I should just stick with specs.

Anyway.. just wondering about lasik and if it's worth it, or if I should just stick with specs.

I got lasik just before I turned 21 and it is cool. I at times really miss having my glasses because they fit my nerdy personality better, but when it comes to playing sports it is nice not having to wear glasses or contacts. Also when I am stumbling and tripping all over Boston drunk it is nice to know I can't lose or break my glasses.

I've worn glasses as long as I can remember. (and oddly, my eyes have gotten *better* over the years) I wear contacts sometimes, just depends on what I'm doing. Never had any problem getting guys ;) Honestly, never really been too self-conscious about my glasses, though. I require them to see, and that's just that.

I wear glasses as a necessity, never saw them as an accessory. But it has never stopped me being approached

I don't get this new fad with those ugly huge glasses that cover half the face.

I wear glasses as a necessity, never saw them as an accessory. But it has never stopped me being approached

Are you kidding me?
That look is coming back?

Geeesh!!

I think I have those ugly huge glasses you speak of. :lol:

I was a teenager in the 80's and now THOSE were some huge, ugly glasses! LOL I actually LIKE my glasses now, even if someone else thinks they are huge and ugly. ;)

Edit to add: My lenses ARE pop bottles.. I am very myopic.

Last edited:
I think I have those ugly huge glasses you speak of. :lol:

I was a teenager in the 80's and now THOSE were some huge, ugly glasses! LOL I actually LIKE my glasses now, even if someone else thinks they are huge and ugly. ;)

Edit to add: My lenses ARE pop bottles.. I am very myopic.

*giggle*
You said pop-bottle.

You northerner you! :)

I am a sucker for a female with black framed glasses.

Glasses can look really good on some people, but they're not for me. I don't feel like myself when I wear mine, which I rarely do. I wear contacts day and night now that they have those awesome ones you wear for a month straight. I'm lucky my eyes tolerate them very well and I can go almost 2 months without having to get a new pair in.

I wear glasses, myself. Years ago I wouldn't have been caught DEAD wearing glasses out in public and always wore my contacts. :mrgreen:

Now... I can't stand contacts and always wear glasses. I do have about 8 pair that I can change out to fit my mood and/or occasion.

Honestly... I ask because I've been considering lasik, but wanted to know what others thought about the whole glasses-attraction-perception. Not that it's a huge deal to me... I just know that in a few years I'd probably have to have reading glasses anyway, regardless of whether or not I had lasik.... so I'm not sure if it'd be worth the money for me to have the surgery. *shrug*

Skip the lasik and wear your sexy glasses, even the big black-framed ones. They look sexy.

I had the same problem as you. I have worn glasses since I was 4 and hated them. As a teenager I switched to contacts and I wore hard lenses, soft lenses, then extended wear. The irritation I felt with something in my eyes and the damage done as I wore them day after day and had enzymes build up on the lenses grew to where I just couldn't wear them anymore, even a fresh pair. For 8 years now I have only worn glasses and all those problems with contacts have just gone away. I love my glasses.

My glasses were trusty companions. I have contacts, but I still have bent glasses.

Back
Top Bottom