• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Glad the Debt Ceiling Debate is over...for now

I think this experience has shown that ideologues have no place in government. I honestly believe that the reason this process has been so drawn out is because of the conviction of the Tea Party caucus. One of my favorite pieces of wisdom comes from Ecclesiastes 3:1-8 which begins with "There is a time for everything and a season for every activity under the heavens." In this case, the political environment was not ready for entitlement and tax reform especially under the context of a unceremonious congressional action which has a deadline that if not met would have dire consequences for the world economy.

There will be time for entitlement reform and tax reform. There will be a time to make the spending cuts. There will be a time for investment in infrastructure and education. There will be a time to reassess the procedures of how the United States spends and keeps its financial obligations. But the time will always be wrong if these issues precede actions needed to retain the economic stability of the country. I think that mistake will deeply affect the Republican Party, Tea Party or not, federal level or state level, in 2012.

Back
Top Bottom