• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Give me one GOOD reason

I am aware, Undisclosed, that if the local PD does not inform ICE they are releasing illegal aliens it is impossible for ICE to do their job which includes deporting said illegal aliens.

Kinda hard to be there for a release if you aren't informed of the release.....

It has zero to do with holding someone beyond their release time.

Just out of curiosity, Fledermaus... how exactly is the local PD supposed to know someone in their custody is an illegal alien?

Cities are not "giving protection" to "criminal invaders."

They are refusing to expend limited police resources doing ICE's job for them. There's no law requiring state or local police to expend resources enforcing federal law. You favor unfunded federal mandates, I see.

In places that are not sanctuary, what are the police doing to that is ICE’s job? What resources does honoring a retainer take?

Just out of curiosity, Fledermaus... how exactly is the local PD supposed to know someone in their custody is an illegal alien?

You can ask... In jurisdictions that allow it.

You can access their records. In jurisdictions that allow it. Repeat offenders are flagged.

You can run their fake drivers licenses and forged documents. In jurisdictions that allow it.

You can ask... In jurisdictions that allow it.

You can access their records. In jurisdictions that allow it. Repeat offenders are flagged.

You can run their fake drivers licenses and forged documents. In jurisdictions that allow it.

Are you advocating that all of those things be done for everybody in police custody, every time? Let's say it's Friday night and the cops pick up 75 people downtown on D&D charges and then throw them in the drunk tank to sober up. Are they going to do your background checks on all of them?

Are you advocating that all of those things be done for everybody in police custody, every time? Let's say it's Friday night and the cops pick up 75 people downtown on D&D charges and then throw them in the drunk tank to sober up. Are they going to do your background checks on all of them?

Normally the police identify all they jail. Did the persons in custody present forged documents or had zero form of identification?

There you go....

And how long does it take to ask "are you in the United States illegally"?

Normally the police identify all they jail. Did the persons in custody present forged documents or had zero form of identification?

There you go....

It's not hard for people to get identification - some Catholic diocese are routinely giving ID's to their parishioners. As for the question, sure, you can ask it... but people have a 5th Amendment protection against self-incrimination - if they refuse to answer the question, does that constitute probable cause to single them out for "special treatment"?

It's not hard for people to get identification - some Catholic diocese are routinely giving ID's to their parishioners. As for the question, sure, you can ask it... but people have a 5th Amendment protection against self-incrimination - if they refuse to answer the question, does that constitute probable cause to single them out for "special treatment"?

It depends on jurisdiction. More than one department will hold someone until they provide identification...

It depends on jurisdiction. More than one department will hold someone until they provide identification...

His name is Jose Incognito and his ID says he's a member of Our Lady of Solitude Catholic Church, in Los Angeles. You can call the priest if you want - he'll vouch for Jose as a member of his parish.

There you go....

hmmmm.... Forged ID's are a red-flag, huh? So does that mean you're going to call ICE to report that drunken frosh you picked up who gave you that crappy fake ID card he was using to buy booze?

Last edited:
Give me one GOOD reason why cities should give protection to criminal invaders that have committed a crime. Protecting them from ICE is actually a criminal action. They need to be turned over to ICE to be locked up for their crime, and then deported!!!!!

Calling them 'criminal invaders' is the same language that the El Paso shooter used.

Calling them 'criminal invaders' is the same language that the El Paso shooter used.

Hitler championed profit sharing, old age pension schemes, the creation and expansion of a middle class, expansion of public education, mandatory health requirements, legislating the impact of religious views on political decisions.

hmmmm.... Forged ID's are a red-flag, huh? So does that mean you're going to call ICE to report that drunken frosh you picked up who gave you that crappy fake ID card he was using to buy booze?

The stupidity of that question is apparent... The average frosh will have real ID as well.

So we should jail and deport folks for a misdemeanor. Are we also going to jail any american who commits a misdemeanor?

Best part is many of the folks who think along these lines also claim to be good christians. Go figure?

I honestly don't ever think I've seen a cop do this.

Police aren't allowed to just hold you because they feel like it.

I see it every week here in CA. And the police can hold you, ICE calls them detainer requests
Detainers | ICE

So do the parents of children murdered by illegal immigrants released by Democratic run jails because they don't care if Americans are murdered and raped.

I am aware, Undisclosed, that if the local PD does not inform ICE they are releasing illegal aliens it is impossible for ICE to do their job which includes deporting said illegal aliens.

Kinda hard to be there for a release if you aren't informed of the release.....

It has zero to do with holding someone beyond their release time.

You didn't answer the question.

Detainer requests are for people who have committed a crime...

Ya and I said they should be followed by local police officers, The person I was responding to thinks cops don't have the time to hold someone they already have in jail for an extra 48 hours so an ICE agent and pick them up.

I do think police departments should be working with the federal government on flagging violent offenders though. It definitely gets into murkier waters when you're asking police departments to start taking on immigration enforcement duties which is why it was challenged legally.
All ICE needs to do is present a legal warrant from a judge and that undocumented alien will be turned over to the authorized federal agency
ICE wants to take shortcuts, bypassing the obtainment of a warrant, and is pissed that some community law enforcement agencies insist on following Constitutional provisions instead

Incorrect.... They are releasing illegal aliens (who have been detained, arrested and or have done their time) back into the community rather than notify ICE so that ICE can do their job efficiently.
ICE must do its job legally as well
Get a warrant and the local authorities will oblige

Limited resources haha. A cop sits on the road in construction zones all the time just so people are more likely to follow the cones, but they cant be asked to monitor a person in jail until an ICE agent arrives to pick them up.
Notice how you have distinguished a local need for law enforcement resources vs those of the federal government

Back
Top Bottom