• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Give me one GOOD reason

Notice how you have distinguished a local need for law enforcement resources vs those of the federal government

The need is greater to keep criminals locked up then monitor a construction zone.

So do the parents of children murdered by illegal immigrants released by Democratic run jails because they don't care if Americans are murdered and raped.

Reagan's meddling in Central America and his immigration policies helped create MS-13. When did you start caring about that?

The need is greater to keep criminals locked up then monitor a construction zone.
Then why should the local community have to expend its local tax dollars to do the federal government’s immigration work

Wow great police resources. Just keeping them in jail till ICE shows up to claim them.

Point 1 - investigations of some type have to happen before arrests or do you think illegals just walk into the police station and say “I’m an illegal arrest me.”

Point 2 - it has been established ad nauseum by the Supreme Court that local governments cannot be required to enforce federal law or assist in federal law enforcement in any way.

Last edited:
There are many Judges that agree. They are not the ones that get the cases.

The SC spoke on this topic a number of times most recently last year - in a 7-2 decision that Alito wrote the majority opinion on - and has steadfastly protected the right of states as sovereign entities to not have to federal federal law or federal policy choices.

So what other district or appellate judges think is relevant. The SC makes it the law of the land.

The SC spoke on this topic a number of times most recently last year - in a 7-2 decision that Alito wrote the majority opinion on - and has steadfastly protected the right of states as sovereign entities to not have to federal federal law or federal policy choices.

So what other district or appellate judges think is relevant. The SC makes it the law of the land.

Then we are talking about two different things. The federal government has the clear right to decide who is a citizen and how they become one. To what are you referring?

Then we are talking about two different things. The federal government has the clear right to decide who is a citizen and how they become one. To what are you referring?

The topic of the thread. Whether or not localities have to cooperate with federal law enforcement efforts or support federal policy choices.

They do not.

The topic of the thread. Whether or not localities have to cooperate with federal law enforcement efforts or support federal policy choices.

They do not.

...unless they accept federal money, that is.

The stupidity of that question is apparent... The average frosh will have real ID as well.

What's with the insults? I'm trying to have a legitimate conversation here.

The frosh was out drinking and was intoxicated to the point where he was picked up by the police - I think there's a reasonable chance his wallet with real ID could have been lost or lifted.

And... I'm still trying to find an answer to my original question - how are the police supposed to know someone is an illegal alien?

The way I figure it, you bring them into custody, you photograph'em... you fingerprint'em. You run their prints through AFIS and if they have no outstanding felony warrants, well, there's not much basis to treat them any differently than anyone else, is there?

Then why should the local community have to expend its local tax dollars to do the federal government’s immigration work

Its called prioritizing resources to remove criminals

And then ONLY if the federal dollars are conditioned on them doing so.

Yes, exactly. Federal funding always comes with stipulations. That's how the federal government gets the state and local governments to do their bidding.

Crossed the border today. Took close to an hour in line. Interrogation, inspection if documents (passport, driver's license) ran license plate. Let me pass. Not that differently than had I come illegally as it turns out.

Luckily I didn't have any Crown Royal on board.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Back in February, going into Mexico I cruised right through. Coming back was a nightmare. The US border patrol are doing their job!

And... I'm still trying to find an answer to my original question - how are the police supposed to know someone is an illegal alien?

The way I figure it, you bring them into custody, you photograph'em... you fingerprint'em. You run their prints through AFIS and if they have no outstanding felony warrants, well, there's not much basis to treat them any differently than anyone else, is there?

I gave you some methods.

I am sure there are other means.

Its called prioritizing resources to remove criminals

as has been demonstrated within this thread, LOCAL GOVERNMENTS DO NOT HAVE THE RESPONSIBILITY TO FULFILL THE FEDERAL OBLIGATION OF ENFORCING IMMIGRATION LAWS
there is no such priority for local governments when it comes to immigration enforcement

Because the Republican party has nothing to offer them?
If they've broken the law? We can offer them a free ride back to Mexico, or a free bed in one of our cozy prisons.

They're generally pretty conservative and a lot of them are catholic.
Not according to the democrats. Democrats virtually see them as "votes" over "people."

If they've broken the law? We can offer them a free ride back to Mexico, or a free bed in one of our cozy prisons.

Not according to the democrats. Democrats virtually see them as "votes" over "people."

Well, I guess, if you believe what you read on conservative media.

Replace the words "criminal invaders" with "Jews," "ICE" with "the Gestapo," and "deported" with "taken away." Then reread the sentence.
Wait....you think Jews are illegal aliens? Or that they are committing crimes that then require protection by corrupt politicians? What other antisemitic hatred do you have of Jews?

And you think our Immigration offices are the Gestapo?

Really?

But you're afraid that these brown people will come and vote Democrat. Why would they vote Democrat? Can't the Republican party win them over? Why not?

It's cute that you think the Republican party cares about you as a person.

Ya and I said they should be followed by local police officers, The person I was responding to thinks cops don't have the time to hold someone they already have in jail for an extra 48 hours so an ICE agent and pick them up.

I think I intended to respond to him [emoji23]

Repeat what I have posted before when this has come up:

- illegal immigration from Mexico was down when Trump made his Mexican rapists comments, as the Mexican economy had improved, but why should he miss an opportunity to be a demagogue? It's his stock in trade.
- immigrants, legal and not, have lower crime rates than citizens
- the problem on the border with Central Americans could have been addressed if Trump respected relevant law and treaties. He doesn't.
- fear of immigrants is an issue that has arisen in US politics periodically, often following periods of significant immigration
- some republicans attack immigrants; some other republicans hire them; most republicans oppose laws that would increase the minimum wage, make workplaces safer or unions stronger, and thus jobs more attractive to legals and citizens
- immigrants legal or not, subsidize our meals at restaurants, the costs of our hotel rooms, the cost of fruits and vegetables, the cost of meat and poultry. Wanna get rid of them, you will have to pay more.
- Obama was called the "deporter in chief" by immigrant advocates due to his efforts to deport illegals, with his focus on those who had committed crimes
- immigrants have generally voted democratic for the first generation or two. Latinos might have been a growth area for the GOP, as they often are conservative on social issues, but Trump has probably dealt with that
- Trump's language about immigrant "infestation" is not far off from fascist talk about "vermin."

Don't like illegals, strap on a leaf blower or quit complaining.

Last edited:
as has been demonstrated within this thread, LOCAL GOVERNMENTS DO NOT HAVE THE RESPONSIBILITY TO FULFILL THE FEDERAL OBLIGATION OF ENFORCING IMMIGRATION LAWS
there is no such priority for local governments when it comes to immigration enforcement

And yet they do it all the time.

Back
Top Bottom