• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Give Bush a chance....

Hatuey

Rule of Two
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
The left never gave Bush a chance

I enjoy this myth.....I really do. It's a fun story to tell your kids about the evil liberals who didn't give Bush a chance. The only problem with this story is that it has one giant flaw in it :

Approval_27267_image001.png

There are places in Bush's history as president where his approval ratings went considerably up only to go down even further after a bit of time went by. 9/11, Iraq war, Saddam's capture. All of this brought up his support but How can it be possible that President Bush DIDN'T get a chance from the left and yet somehow he received the highest approval ratings of any president in the last 25 years? How is it even remotely possible. Could it be that the left did give Bush a chance and then he managed to screw it up every time? I mean if we didn't give him a chance to do the right thing how'd he manage 90% approval ratings?

Well lets see...

He gets into office and is immedietely at a bit above 50% approval. Which, makes sense, as he got about 50% of the vote. No surprise here. Democrats don't like him, Republicans did.

He proceeded to start dropping after that point. Then 9/11 happened and almost everyone in this country became hyper-patriotic. David Duke could've been the President and people likely would've given him a chance there. I dare say that if it was Gore in that place he would've got the same from Republicans. It was just the extreme of that situation.

From that point on he had a steady and continual decline, save for two short spikes based on what's percieved as good news. This decline pretty much continued unabatted, throughout the entire time.

So essentially outside of a major national catastrophe unlike anything the majority of those alive had ever experienced gave him a gigantic boost....and he immedietely began to drop almost non-stop from that point forward.

Sorry Hautey, I disagree with your insinuation completely.

I COMPLETELY agree with Hautey.

Liberals gave him credit when he deserved it.

NeoCons gave him credit no matter what.

this is rather silly.

911 the country unified, then the left began to attack bush....

I'll give Bush a chance.....

A chance to get his **** out of the whitehouse before he's forcibly removed.

You reap what you sew.

Agreed. I'm with you: If Obama screws things up, I'll be bitching too.
I'm going to give him as much of a chance as I gave Bush. I had a preference for Gore in 2000, but I was willing to see what Bush could do.

And Bush, apparently, could be a very very bad president.

Payback will be a bitch I am assuming. :lol:

It usually is. ;)

I'm sorry, but I must have missed the memo...

But who argued that the "Left" didn't give Bush a chance?

And even if there was some one arguing this, how does presenting a chart illustrating his approval ratings demonstrate that the "Left" did give Bush such a chance?

Just curious is all...can someone help me out here?

Edit: btw, it's kinda funny that you consider 9/11, Katrina, Saddam's capture as examples of "chances" that the Left gave to Bush to prove himself worthy of the Left's approval.

Well, not funny at all...it's rather sickening.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom