• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Giuliani in '08?

Would you support Giuliani in '08

• Maybe, depends on the issues

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

shuamort

Pundit-licious
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Would you support republican former NYC mayor Giuliani in a 2008 bid for the presidency?

Right now, he's doing well in the polls:
In hypothetical match-ups for the 2008 Presidential Election, Republicans Rudy Giuliani and John McCain both are essentially even with Democrat Hillary Clinton.

A Rasmussen Reports survey finds Giuliani leading Clinton 42% to 39% and McCain ahead of the Democrat 40% to 38%. An earlier survey found Clinton leading Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.
I would, but I'm curious if republicans would get behind a man who's said:
“I’m pro-choice. I’m pro-gay rights,” Giuliani said. He was then asked whether he supports a ban on what critics call partial-birth abortions. “No, I have not supported that, and I don’t see my position on that changing,” he responded.

I support him only because he decided to break up with his wife via press conference....without telling her.

Amazing.

I said that it depends on the opposition, not his opponent in the final election but his opposition in the Republican primaries. If it came down to Giuliani vs. Hillary (or whatever nut the DNC manages to churn out), I say Rudolph all the way!

As with President Bush I don't agree with Rudy on every issue, especially social ones but I would probably support him depending on who the opposition is............

The guy I would really support is Senator George Allen..........

i wont give my vote to anyone who supports abortion unless i have no choice. If it comes down to voting for a democrat who is against abortion so be it.

Lantzolot said:
i wont give my vote to anyone who supports abortion unless i have no choice. If it comes down to voting for a democrat who is against abortion so be it.

In 2008, neither the Republican nor the Democratic candidate will be anywhere as opposed to abortion as Bush and most of the social conservatives are. McCain is about as far right on the issue as the Reps will go.

RightatNYU said:
In 2008, neither the Republican nor the Democratic candidate will be anywhere as opposed to abortion as Bush and most of the social conservatives are. McCain is about as far right on the issue as the Reps will go.

I wouln't be to sure of that..Especially if the candidate happens to be Newt Gingrich, Jeb Bush, or George Allen..........

Navy Pride said:
I wouln't be to sure of that..Especially if the candidate happens to be Newt Gingrich, Jeb Bush, or George Allen..........

The odds of it being Newt or Jeb is exactly 0.

Allen has more of a shot, and if the rest of the strong social conservatives give up their own pipe dreams and unite behind him, he'll be a force.

Still don't think he's got a realistic chance.

RightatNYU said:
The odds of it being Newt or Jeb is exactly 0.

Allen has more of a shot, and if the rest of the strong social conservatives give up their own pipe dreams and unite behind him, he'll be a force.

Still don't think he's got a realistic chance.

We shall see..........I am not sure the base of the Republican Party is ready to nominate a pro choice and gay rights candidate like Rudy, although I would vote for him........I am pro life but no a 1 issue voter like a lot of my liberal friends are in this forum..........

shuamort said:
Would you support republican former NYC mayor Giuliani in a 2008 bid for the presidency?

Right now, he's doing well in the polls:

I would, but I'm curious if republicans would get behind a man who's said:

Mark my words: Hillary WILL NOT be the nominee in 08.

Any poll that pits someone against her is a waste of time.

Giuliani would be hard pressed to get over the three wife thing, and the lowly way he split with his wife. It would become a huge character issue. Plus there's the cancer scares that he and McCain have had.

hipsterdufus said:
Mark my words: Hillary WILL NOT be the nominee in 08.

Any poll that pits someone against her is a waste of time.

Giuliani would be hard pressed to get over the three wife thing, and the lowly way he split with his wife. It would become a huge character issue. Plus there's the cancer scares that he and McCain have had.

Please don't say that about Hillary hips........Every night when I say my prayers before I go to sleep I pray she is the nominee for the democratic party..............

Navy Pride said:
Please don't say that about Hillary hips........Every night when I say my prayers before I go to sleep I pray she is the nominee for the democratic party..............

:2rofll: Ditto.

Navy Pride said:
We shall see..........I am not sure the base of the Republican Party is ready to nominate a pro choice and gay rights candidate like Rudy, although I would vote for him........I am pro life but no a 1 issue voter like a lot of my liberal friends are in this forum..........

I don't either, I don't think Rudy's got a good shot.

I think the party is ready to nominate a guy like McCain though.

RightatNYU said:
I don't either, I don't think Rudy's got a good shot.

I think the party is ready to nominate a guy like McCain though.

For the most part I like McCain but I think he has to much baggage......

Back
Top Bottom