• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

GISS October reading

longview

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
https://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/tabledata_v3/GLB.Ts+dSST.txt
I am guessing some of the people at the GISS realized that having 2018 come in almost a full .1 C below 2017,
would look bad, and so the Oct 2018 reading is .11 C higher than Oct 2017, and at .99, is the highest month in 2018.
Where this looks odd is the discrepancy with the RSS, which has Oct 2018 .28 C below Oct 2017,
and UAH has the 2018 Oct reading loosing .44 C from Oct 2017.
It remains to be seen if HadCrut4 will diverge also.

LOL!!!

It's as if they are just noy competenet... oh, hang on...

I am guessing some of the people at the GISS realized that having 2018 come in almost a full .1 C below 2017,
would look bad, and so the Oct 2018 reading is .11 C higher than Oct 2017, and at .99, is the highest month in 2018.
Let me get this straight. You're accusing NASA of manipulating numbers -- which are based on the temperatures recorded by GHCN at over 7000+ stations, whose raw data and adjustments are publicly available -- based on no evidence whatsoever, because of... something that happens almost every month? What the what?

Where this looks odd is the discrepancy with the RSS, which has Oct 2018 .28 C below Oct 2017
Are you for reals?

GISS is land and sea temperature data. RSS and UAH are satellite data. Of course GISS and RSS/UAH aren't going to be identical, because... wait for it... they're not measuring the same things. They aren't even using the same baseline period -- the GISS table you linked uses 1951-1980, whereas UAH uses 1980-2010.

By the way: Global temperature measures which do measure the same components of the climate, and do normalize baselines for comparison purposes, are usually very close. So yes, it is very likely HADCRU4 and Berkeley Earth and NOAA and all the other major land- and ocean-based temperature records will all show similar conditions for October 2018.

land-and-ocean-other-results-1950-large.png

It's as if they are just noy competenet... oh, hang on...
Y'know, this is probably not the best time for you to misspell "not competent." Just sayin'.

Let me get this straight. You're accusing NASA of manipulating numbers -- which are based on the temperatures recorded by GHCN at over 7000+ stations, whose raw data and adjustments are publicly available -- based on no evidence whatsoever, because of... something that happens almost every month? What the what?

Are you for reals?

GISS is land and sea temperature data. RSS and UAH are satellite data. Of course GISS and RSS/UAH aren't going to be identical, because... wait for it... they're not measuring the same things. They aren't even using the same baseline period -- the GISS table you linked uses 1951-1980, whereas UAH uses 1980-2010.

By the way: Global temperature measures which do measure the same components of the climate, and do normalize baselines for comparison purposes, are usually very close. So yes, it is very likely HADCRU4 and Berkeley Earth and NOAA and all the other major land- and ocean-based temperature records will all show similar conditions for October 2018.
I am noting the extreme difference between the two types of data sets which used to be very close.
A change in magnitude is one thing, a change in sign is something else.
I guess we will have to see if Hadcrut agrees?

Back
Top Bottom