• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Girlfriend killed by lightning minutes before Knoxville man's proposal

The Giant Noodle

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
KNOXVILLE (WATE) - A Knoxville man was minutes from proposing to his girlfriend on a hike in Western North Carolina Friday when she was struck and killed by lightning.
"Everything went black. I was spun 180 degrees, thrown several feet back. My legs turned to jelly. My shoes were smoking and the bottom of my feet felt like they were on fire," Richard Butler said.
For a moment, he said he thought he was the only one hit by the bolt of lightning.
However, it was his girlfriend Bethany Lott, 25, who took the direct hit. She was hiking just a few feet in front of him.
"I crawled to her, rolled her over. They say she was gone automatically, but I tried CPR for probably 15 minutes," Butler says.
He says they were nearly to the top of Max Patch Bald, a place Bethany was taking him for the first time.
The bald is on Max Patch Mountain, 40 miles west of Asheville in the Pisgah National Forest. The Appalachian Trail crosses it.
Friday was supposed to mark the beginning of the couple's life together. Butler had a ring and was planning to propose.

CONTINUED w/ photos: Girlfriend killed by lightning minutes before Knox man's proposal

Dude... that... ****ing... sucks.

**** dude that's so unfortunate it just... ****.

Poor guy I really feel for him. Actually got kinda teary eyed readin the story.

Man that sucks. I can't imagine finding the person I want to spend the rest of my life with, and have them taken away like that.

My condolences to him, and both their families.

And I thought I had bad luck in relationships. That sucks.

That is absolutely heartbreaking.

Dude... that... ****ing... sucks.

**** dude that's so unfortunate it just... ****.

Poor guy I really feel for him. Actually got kinda teary eyed readin the story.

Me too! The description of him giving her CPR is what did it for me.

You could say he... knocked her dead...

You could say he... knocked her dead...

There were so many jokes that could have been done with this that would have worked way better than that one. Something involving the term "Divine intervention" would have been a great.

But let's say that you wanted to stick with a pun. Something about how this guy finally has a smokin' hot girlfriend would have fit well.

If you really wanted to be witty and callous at teh same time, you could have said "Wow, this guy suvived a lightning strike and dodged a bullet at the same time. He's like some sort of superhero!"

I'm just really disappointed this was the first joke made in this thread. I've been trying to be a kinder gentler person about these types of stories, so I refrained from posting one of my own hoping that someone would put them in for me, and now I'm really heartbroken by this thread. :2razz:

'God baby, look at it. Isn't it beautiful?'"

Last words - that's a tearjerker.

Oh, that's awful. I proposed to my fiancée at Mt. Rainier. If I had read this story first, I'd have picked an indoor location. Very sad, but on the bright side, that might have been God's way of saying, "You can do better." You never know.

There were so many jokes that could have been done with this that would have worked way better than that one. Something involving the term "Divine intervention" would have been a great.

But let's say that you wanted to stick with a pun. Something about how this guy finally has a smokin' hot girlfriend would have fit well.

If you really wanted to be witty and callous at teh same time, you could have said "Wow, this guy suvived a lightning strike and dodged a bullet at the same time. He's like some sort of superhero!"

I'm just really disappointed this was the first joke made in this thread. I've been trying to be a kinder gentler person about these types of stories, so I refrained from posting one of my own hoping that someone would put them in for me, and now I'm really heartbroken by this thread. :2razz:

He must have... taken her breath away... blown her off her feet... been shocked... I got a million of these I could go through baby. But no none are that funny

At least their relationship never lost that spark

You people are terrible! I love it!

Oh, that's awful. I proposed to my fiancée at Mt. Rainier. If I had read this story first, I'd have picked an indoor location. Very sad, but on the bright side, that might have been God's way of saying, "You can do better." You never know.

personally, i think it was Zeus' was of saying "damn, i still got it"

Back
Top Bottom