• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Girl dies after being detained by U.S. Border Patrol-Washington Post

JacksinPA

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-border-patrol-washington-post-idUSKBN1OD05L

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A 7-year-old girl from Guatemala died of dehydration and shock hours after she was taken into U.S. Border Patrol custody, the Washington Post reported on Thursday.

The girl and her father had been detained by immigration authorities on Dec. 6 in New Mexico as part of a group of 163 people who approached U.S. agents to turn themselves in, the Post reported.
===========================================
According to the ABC New last night, the group had crossed into the U.S. & were without food or water in the desert for 2 days. Those factors alone could kill a strong adult. I don't know exactly what happened after she was detained, but it does look like someone in authority might have dropped the ball here. From my personal knowledge having once run a 104 degree fever, the doctor said if it was 105 I should have been in the hospital. I hope there is an investigation. What happened in those 'hours after'?

Let me guess the response form the right:
Good, this will act as a deterrent!
The parent should have thought about this before dragging their kid through the desert!

The parent should have thought about this before dragging their kid through the desert!

the response from the alt left: give the parent and award for gettin her daughter killed!

It's not good... and it being a deterrent is the last thing on my mind...

and yes, the parent should have thought about that... if they had any ounce of responsibility. Illegal human trafficking is not a safe environment for a child.

and yes, the parent should have thought about that... if they had any ounce of responsibility. Illegal human trafficking is not a safe environment for a child.

This was not trafficking. They were a family trying to enter the U.S.

Shouldn't he have, though?

Can you post your evidence that this dead young girl was being trafficked, please?

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-border-patrol-washington-post-idUSKBN1OD05L

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A 7-year-old girl from Guatemala died of dehydration and shock hours after she was taken into U.S. Border Patrol custody, the Washington Post reported on Thursday.

The girl and her father had been detained by immigration authorities on Dec. 6 in New Mexico as part of a group of 163 people who approached U.S. agents to turn themselves in, the Post reported.
===========================================
According to the ABC New last night, the group had crossed into the U.S. & were without food or water in the desert for 2 days. Those factors alone could kill a strong adult. I don't know exactly what happened after she was detained, but it does look like someone in authority might have dropped the ball here. From my personal knowledge having once run a 104 degree fever, the doctor said if it was 105 I should have been in the hospital. I hope there is an investigation. What happened in those 'hours after'?

That's sad. I hate to read about any young child dying. Too bad nobody thought to get her medical treatment. May she rest in peace.

I don't blame the father for trying to get his daughter a better life but I do blame him for not adequately preparing for the journey and putting her in worse conditions that led to her death. It does say early the next day after she was detained she was taken to a hospital but it was too late. Very sad.

This was not trafficking. They were a family trying to enter the U.S.

I have a couple thoughts on this matter, JacksinPA. First, the headline is a bit misleading. The child was already severely dehydrated when she was taken into custody. So the article headline helps make one leap to the conclusion that she was simply left to languish and die by DHS, when she passed only hours after being caught. This is like if the child's father savagely beat her before they were caught and she died of her injuries immediately after being taken custody, but the headline read: "Child dies in the hands of DHS after being savagely beaten." It is totally irresponsible in my arrogantly self-righteous opinion. Second, I am not going to engage in the bigotry of low expectations by assuming the father of this little girl was simply so ignorant that he did not know traveling in a desert without food and water would be dangerous for a little girl. I am going to give the man some credit and presume he knew the risks of traveling across the desert with a child, and his child died as a result of his calculated risk. I do not believe anything justifies taking such a risk unless the man took his child and was literally fleeing from being thrown into a mass grave with her.

the response from the alt left: give the parent and award for gettin her daughter killed!
They were taken into custody after traveling in the dessert for a long time. They were held for hours and DHS didn't provide water. That's negligence.

Once we take custody of anyone, they should feel safe and no one should ever die under our care. This is shameful. She was just a kid. The agents in charge should be fired and arrested for negligence.

I have a couple thoughts on this matter, JacksinPA. First, the headline is a bit misleading. The child was already severely dehydrated when she was taken into custody. So the article headline helps make one leap to the conclusion that she was simply left to languish and die by DHS, when she passed only hours after being caught. This is like if the child's father savagely beat her before they were caught and she died of her injuries immediately after being taken custody, but the headline read: "Child dies in the hands of DHS after being savagely beaten." It is totally irresponsible in my arrogantly self-righteous opinion. Second, I am not going to engage in the bigotry of low expectations by assuming the father of this little girl was simply so ignorant that he did not know traveling in a desert without food and water would be dangerous for a little girl. I am going to give the man some credit and presume he knew the risks of traveling across the desert with a child, and his child died as a result of his calculated risk. I do not believe anything justifies taking such a risk unless the man took his child and was literally fleeing from being thrown into a mass grave with her.

Yes, I tend to agree with you here...not that it necessarily proves that the care she received was adequate, but it is a far more likely theory than perhaps the article speaks to, in terms of assigning blame. I guess the only thing I would need to understand is whether or not due diligence was done when they were taken into custody. There is an expectation of care. If a prisoner starts a fight with another prisoner, and gets stabbed as a result, he still gets emergency medical care, despite the fact that he wouldn't need it if his own actions didn't cause the injury. If that's how you treat your prisoners, one would hope that at least that basic level of care was extended to a group of immigrants who voluntarily turned themselves in.

Its not the first time that people have died trying to get to the US. It won't be the last. So no, this won't act as a deterrent. Of course you knew that already.

And yes, the parents SHOULD have thought about this before dragging their 7 year old child through the desert. It's stupid to assert or imply otherwise.

Its not the first time that people have died trying to get to the US. It won't be the last. So no, this won't act as a deterrent. Of course you knew that already.

And yes, the parents SHOULD have thought about this before dragging their 7 year old child through the desert. It's stupid to assert or imply otherwise.

I guess it just depends on what they were running from... Not sure anyone here should judge - unless, of course, they have some first hand knowledge about the family in question.

Bottom line, if the child reached American custody, they need to demonstrate that they did their due diligence. If they did, then it's merely a horribly tragic event that I wouldn't wish on any parent. If they didn't, then they have some explaining to do.

That's sad. I hate to read about any young child dying. Too bad nobody thought to get her medical treatment. May she rest in peace.

Per the article in post 7:

According to a report in the Washington Post citing Customs and Border Protection records, the girl was in Border Patrol custody for approximately eight hours in the New Mexico desert when she began having seizures. Emergency responders took her temperature, which came out to 105.7 degrees.

Per CBP — whose account of the girl’s death is the only one which has been publicly-reported thus far — she was taken by helicopter to a children’s hospital in El Paso, and died less than 24 hours later.

You were saying?

They were taken into custody after traveling in the dessert for a long time. They were held for hours and DHS didn't provide water. That's negligence.

Please provide evidence that DHS did not provide water.

Per the article in post 7:

You were saying?

Sorry Kal, but I've been told that I can't trust anything that comes out of the mouth of the government agencies.

Food and water are typically provided to migrants in Border Patrol custody, and it wasn’t immediately clear Thursday if the girl received provisions and a medical exam before the onset of seizures.

So in other words, we don't know anything.

You were saying?

I guess it just depends on what they were running from... Not sure anyone here should judge - unless, of course, they have some first hand knowledge about the family in question.

Bottom line, if the child reached American custody, they need to demonstrate that they did their due diligence. If they did, then it's merely a horribly tragic event that I wouldn't wish on any parent. If they didn't, then they have some explaining to do.

From Guatemala to the US border it is over 2,000 miles. Pretty sure that whatever they were running from in Guatemala they were not chased 2k miles. And as noted in both post 7 medical treatment was given as much and as soon as it was possible.

I wonder how the father felt as he brought his daughter with him because the place that he left was so dangerous that he didn't think he could adequately protect her there. Then, he comes to the United States and, short on supplies, his daughter gets progressively sicker. I can imagine that there was some small ounce of relief when she was taken from him by the border patrol and taken into custody. "At least they'll give her water," he probably thought. I wonder how he felt upon learning that not only did they not give her water, but let her die a slow death of dehydration? What did that slow death look like, and how did the father feel about that?

If you don't think immigrants are human, then I imagine it's quite easy to not wonder about such things.

Not how it works Tres. An assertion was made, they need to provide evidence of their assertion. Which is all that I asked for.

So you can't prove that they gave her water, can you? But you know they are not at all responsible.

That also isn't how it works, Kal. Unless you just blindly support the detention of immigrant children.

I wonder how the father felt as he brought his daughter with him because the place that he left was so dangerous that he didn't think he could adequately protect her there. Then, he comes to the United States and, short on supplies, his daughter gets progressively sicker. I can imagine that there was some small ounce of relief when she was taken from him by the border patrol and taken into custody. "At least they'll give her water," he probably thought. I wonder how he felt upon learning that not only did they not give her water, but let her die a slow death of dehydration? What did that slow death look like, and how did the father feel about that?

If you don't think immigrants are human, then I imagine it's quite easy to not wonder about such things.

Who said the girl was taken from him by the border patrol?

Back
Top Bottom