• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Girl dies after being detained by U.S. Border Patrol-Washington Post

From Guatemala to the US border it is over 2,000 miles. Pretty sure that whatever they were running from in Guatemala they were not chased 2k miles. And as noted in both post 7 medical treatment was given as much and as soon as it was possible.

The posts do not say what "medical treatment" she was given in those 8 hours. Nor do they say she was even given food or water. She was given "medical treatment" when she began having seizures.

Or are you saying 8 hours after detainment wasn't soon enough?

I wonder how the father felt as he brought his daughter with him because the place that he left was so dangerous that he didn't think he could adequately protect her there. Then, he comes to the United States and, short on supplies, his daughter gets progressively sicker. I can imagine that there was some small ounce of relief when she was taken from him by the border patrol and taken into custody. "At least they'll give her water," he probably thought. I wonder how he felt upon learning that not only did they not give her water, but let her die a slow death of dehydration? What did that slow death look like, and how did the father feel about that?

If you don't think immigrants are human, then I imagine it's quite easy to not wonder about such things.

If it were an American who dragged his daughter across the Rocky Mountains without food and water in search of free stuff, would you feel sorry for him?

So you can't prove that they gave her water, can you? But you know they are not at all responsible.

That also isn't how it works, Kal. Unless you just blindly support the detention of immigrant children.

the negligent parents are responsible for her death. they should be jailed for the remainder of their lives

If it were an American who dragged his daughter across the Rocky Mountains without food and water in search of free stuff, would you feel sorry for him?

youre askin an alt left radical if they would feel sorry for an American...

alt left radicals hate americans.

Let me guess the response form the right:
Good, this will act as a deterrent!
The parent should have thought about this before dragging their kid through the desert!

What a disgusting thing for you to assume!

"Free stuff"?

If an American was fleeing a desperate situation and was looking for a better life for his child (that doesn't translate to "free stuff"), anyone with a heart would feel sorry for both of them.

Do you not feel sorry for women who flee abusive households and take their children to a safer zone? Or do you just assume they are in search of "free stuff"?

Sorry Kal, but I've been told that I can't trust anything that comes out of the mouth of the government agencies.

Food and water are typically provided to migrants in Border Patrol custody, and it wasn’t immediately clear Thursday if the girl received provisions and a medical exam before the onset of seizures.

So in other words, we don't know anything.

You were saying?

You should have provided a link to the article that you got that bold part from. Since you bolded it I assumed that you got it from the article linked to in post 7. You didn't. You got it from a link in that article though. Here it is: 7-year-old migrant girl taken into Border Patrol custody dies of dehydration, exhaustion

The part that you quoted is speculation. Something posed by the writer of the article. Something that the writer apparently didn't even bother to try and find out before printing it.

Mexico offers them temporary asylum. They say no. They come here and ask for permanent asylum. We say no. Wrong choice.

The posts do not say what "medical treatment" she was given in those 8 hours. Nor do they say she was even given food or water. She was given "medical treatment" when she began having seizures.

It does not say whether any of these 163 folks were given a medical evaluation or any other assistance. Do you suppose that CBP units normally provide such services but simply withheld them in this 'special' case?

This was not trafficking. They were a family trying to enter the U.S.

Entering illegally.
"Early on Dec. 7, the girl started having seizures, and emergency responders measured her body temperature at 105.7 degrees, the Post said. She was taken to a hospital, where she died, according to the Post. "

The article does not state how much time elapsed from when they turned themselves into BP on Dec 6 and when the girl started having seizures. The headline also is slanted to imply the BP was somehow 100% at fault.

I agree the incident should be investigated. They should question the parents regarding the treatment of their child by them. Did they ask for food, water, medical treatment immediately upon approaching the BP? If not, why not? How much food and water did the child receive the last couple of days. When was the first onset of symptoms?

The parents made the decision to cross into the US illegally. They made the decision to bring their child. They made the decision not to properly prepare for the trip. The BP actions should also be looked at. In most cases the BP does what it can to provide care for those found in the desert.
Bottom line, people need to be held accountable for their own actions. They need to be held responsible for the risk they take.

You should have provided a link to the article that you got that bold part from. Since you bolded it I assumed that you got it from the article linked to in post 7. You didn't. You got it from a link in that article though. Here it is: 7-year-old migrant girl taken into Border Patrol custody dies of dehydration, exhaustion

The part that you quoted is speculation. Something posed by the writer of the article. Something that the writer apparently didn't even bother to try and find out before printing it.

Then post some proof that they gave her food and water and medical care in the 8 hours they had her in their detainment, and she had seizures in spite of that, and then they took her to the hospital.

I'll wait, because I looked for it on the internet and can't find it myself - anywhere.

There is no evidence in that link that they did that.

It does not say whether any of these 163 folks were given a medical evaluation or any other assistance. Do you suppose that CBP units normally provide such services but simply withheld them in this 'special' case?

I don't even know why you asked me this question, since I never said anything about this "special" case. I have no idea what services they provided here or at any other time. Unlike Kal, I never said they did. You have to ask him what he knows. I said I was sorry she died and that I wished she had been taken to the hospital. Is that wrong?

"Free stuff"?

If an American was fleeing a desperate situation and was looking for a better life for his child (that doesn't translate to "free stuff"), anyone with a heart would feel sorry for both of them.

Do you not feel sorry for women who flee abusive households and take their children to a safer zone? Or do you just assume they are in search of "free stuff"?

If they are breaking our laws, no.

I don't even know why you asked me this question, since I never said anything about this "special" case. I have no idea what services they provided here or at any other time. Unlike Kal, I never said they did. You have to ask him what he knows. I said I was sorry she died and that I wished she had been taken to the hospital. Is that wrong?

She was taken to the hospital which is where she died. Read the OP link.

She was taken to the hospital which is where she died. Read the OP link.

She was taken to the hospital 8 hours after she was detained. She seized because they said she hadn't been given food or water for days. If that's true, then she should have been taken to the hospital before it got to the point of seizure. And that's what I said. But you don't seem to like that I said that.

I read the OP link. More than once.

We should all feel sorry for people who post such moronic drivel as you did.

And you of course are assuming that she wasn't given water?

As for the medical treatment during those 8 hours, apparently with in a very short time span of a few days that facility, which is small, received over 500 people. I'd be surprised if they were all medically examined. It takes time to medically examine people. I don't know about you but I can sit in a doctors office waiting to see a doctor for about an hour on average. Which means 163 hours worth of examination needed to be done to medically examine each and every single one of those people. (163 people just in that girls group) Its a small facility so maybe 3 doctors there max (I admit that I'm assuming the amount of doctors they had there but for it being a small sized facility I think I'm being generous). That means roughly over 50 hours worth of time before everyone is medically examined. Without any breaks to eat or sleep. So yeah, quite possible that 8 hours isn't enough for a medical examination. In order to get that many people examined in under 8 hours it would take 21 doctors. Pretty sure that facility doesn't have that many doctors on hand.

Let me guess the response form the right:
Good, this will act as a deterrent!
The parent should have thought about this before dragging their kid through the desert!

Yup, they are so predictable
the negligent parents are responsible for her death. they should be jailed for the remainder of their lives

And you of course are assuming that she wasn't given water?

As for the medical treatment during those 8 hours, apparently with in a very short time span of a few days that facility, which is small, received over 500 people. I'd be surprised if they were all medically examined. It takes time to medically examine people. I don't know about you but I can sit in a doctors office waiting to see a doctor for about an hour on average. Which means 163 hours worth of examination needed to be done to medically examine each and every single one of those people. (163 people just in that girls group) Its a small facility so maybe 3 doctors there max (I admit that I'm assuming the amount of doctors they had there but for it being a small sized facility I think I'm being generous). That means roughly over 50 hours worth of time before everyone is medically examined. Without any breaks to eat or sleep. So yeah, quite possible that 8 hours isn't enough for a medical examination. In order to get that many people examined in under 8 hours it would take 21 doctors. Pretty sure that facility doesn't have that many doctors on hand.

So you can prove that she was given water. Then post it. This isn't complicated.

I've seen people who were dehydrated and starving. You can spot it a mile away. They didn't seem to spot it - unless you have evidence to the contrary?

You and twtt seem to be really worked up because I feel bad that this young girl died. Who is responsible for her death isn't relevant. I have a heart and hate to see a little girl die like this. That was the point of my original post that got you all worked up.

Just say you don't care about her death and cut to the chase, if that's your point. Because otherwise, you don't have an argument about my sympathy for a dead girl.

the response from the alt left: give the parent and award for gettin her daughter killed!

Woah. That's some pretty deluded thinking there biglawnmower. You cut too many lawns yesterday?

No, the young girl died because the father was stupid enough to bring her through a desert without adequate water and protection.

Well, then, good. You can sleep well tonight saying "She died because her father was stupid".

The rest of us with hearts will continue to feel bad that she died tragically.

Back
Top Bottom