• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ginsburg's last wish was to 'not be replaced until a new president is installed': report

If expanding the number of justices came to pass, you would also need to establish a term limit.
How about just lessening the power of the courts?

You do that by appointing constitutionalists to the court.
We have to count on Republican presidents to introduce constitutionalist nominees to the courts.

We have to count on Republican presidents to introduce constitutionalist nominees to the courts.
That’s not always the case. George HW Bush put a liberal on the court. Plus there’s George W Bush’s record.

That’s not always the case. George HW Bush put a liberal on the court. Plus there’s George W Bush’s record.
I stand corrected. Actually, HW was an established GOP.

All the Bush’s are establishment GOPers.
And neo-conservatives which make them not conservative at all because neo-conservatives rely on gov't a great deal to accomplish agendas.

Marxists never are. They aren't out to convince anyone of the superiority of their ideas, because they can't. No, Marxists' MO are lies, propaganda, violence, and coercion.

Do your posts make sense to you when you type them?

If expanding the number of justices came to pass, you would also need to establish a term limit.

There is already a "term limit". A SCOTUS justice serves one term, from appointment until either their retirement or their death.

If you advocate that SCOTUS be increased from 9 you aren't moderate or slightly liberal.

This is what you guys get for having such flexible rules.

There is already a "term limit". A SCOTUS justice serves one term, from appointment until either their retirement or their death.
Lifetime is not a term limit. If you can’t form a reasonable argument to the contrary, don’t respond.

Thank you.

Lifetime is not a term limit. If you can’t form a reasonable argument to the contrary, don’t respond.

Thank you.

Don't tell me, tell James Madison.

Democrats want to pack the courts because of those rascally Republicans

Liberals can not tolerate opposition. They don’t want to see it or hear it. They also feel a need to force their policies upon the public.

They are afraid of the court of public opinion. They might receive some push- back from a majority of the people and they can’t live with that.M

Democrats want to pack the courts because of those rascally Republicans

Liberals can not tolerate opposition. They don’t want to see it or hear it. They also feel a need to force their policies upon the public.

They are afraid of the court of public opinion. They might receive some push- back from a majority of the people and they can’t live with that.M

Whatever. Still gonna pack the court.

You don’t know James Madison from the Madison river.

Never met the guy. But I read what he wrote.

The judicial Power of the United States, shall be vested in one supreme Court,
and in such inferior Courts as the Congress may from time to time ordain and
establish. The Judges, both of the supreme and inferior Courts, shall hold
their Offices during good Behavior, and shall, at stated Times, receive for
their Services a Compensation which shall not be diminished during their
Continuance in Office.

So unless you impeach them, they're there until either they retire or die.

Interestingly enough, no number of SCOTUS judges is fixed by the constitution. It can be any number we like.

Never met the guy. But I read what he wrote.

So unless you impeach them, they're there until either they retire or die.

Interestingly enough, no number of SCOTUS judges is fixed by the constitution. It can be any number we like.
Nothing you posted there says that a term limit can not be imposed on the tenure of a Supreme Court justice.

Nothing you posted there says that a term limit can not be imposed on the tenure of a Supreme Court justice.

I'm sorry you can't read. Terms for all legislators and executives are spelled out (congressman 2 years, senator 6 years, executive 4 years).

Terms for Justices and federal judges are "during good behavior," which means if you want them out, you have to impeach them. Or they stay until they retire or die.

Fat chance, Mitch McConnell will show his hypocrisy and Lindsey Graham will show himself to be a liar,
Different situation, Ginsburg doesn't decide who replaces her, The Left complaining about hypocrisy makes regular Folks want to vomit.

The congress has changed the number of justices several times. Here have been less than nine and more than nine. I would support going to seven. I would also support limiting the number of justices sitting on circuit courts and appeals courts.

The federal courts have become an arm of the legislature in many cases. Too many federal judges legislate from the bench. Those judges need to be removed from the bench.

I'm sorry you can't read. Terms for all legislators and executives are spelled out (congressman 2 years, senator 6 years, executive 4 years).

Terms for Justices and federal judges are "during good behavior," which means if you want them out, you have to impeach them. Or they stay until they retire or die.
So what. Nothing prevents the congress from credd as timg a term limit for Supreme Court justices.

I’m certainly not opposed to the idea. I think it has some merit.

It would be kind of refreshing if you avoided tossing out your stupid insults.

You really have not provided one reason why Trump should not nominate someone. There is a vacancy now, he is the President now. You have not named a situation, in our history, where a President has said that they are going to delay nominating someone. Yet, you want Trump to do that.

And let's not kid each other, the Democrats would NEVER do that. For Christ sake, they've been threatening to pack the Court the next chance they get. That is despicable.
And, throw in that they have 1,000 lawyers ready to contest the election, we must have a new Justice in place ASAP, to prevent any 4-4 ties on the Court.

I ask three simple questions:

1. Is 2020 an election year?
2. If Trump selects a conservative judge and Biden gets nominated in....how is this selection representative of the mandate made by the American people for a progressive agenda?
3. I would now flip this question....if Obama selected a progressive judge 1.5 months out from the election and Trump got nominated in (which he did) how would conservatives feel represented?

Fat chance, Mitch McConnell will show his hypocrisy and Lindsey Graham will show himself to be a liar,

I have it on good authority that Ruth "Gator" Ginsberg's last wish went like this:

"Gator": Disconnect all these tubes and bring me a Baconator.

Grand daughter: But you could aspirate it and -

"Gator": And what? Die? Lord, take me. I'm surrounded by idiots...Baconator!

You missed my point. This is not just about a legacy, it is about precedent and the standards set by the Republican Party.

Do you not agree that Mitch McConnell blocked President Barack Obama's nomination of Merrick Garland to the court on the grounds that it was an election year?

But this seems to be a common theme in the Presidency of Donald Trump......this double standard is there for everyone to see. One rule for Republicans, one rule for everyone else. The only defense I have for Mitch McConnell is he probably should be in an aged cared facility being cared for, so he may have unknowingly forgotten what he said four years ago.
yet you leave out the leftist double standard why is that? ol yea hypocrisy.

Back
Top Bottom