• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ginsburg's last wish was to 'not be replaced until a new president is installed': report

Democrats allowed Reagan to fill a court vacancy 13 months (just shy of a year) before the end of lame duck term, so don't give me bullshit about Democrats have ever made the kind of power grabs Republicans have.
This is what we call prior to election campaigns and the people having a clear choice.

Will?

They hardly waited to catch their breath before announcing they were going to ram through a nominee despite the lying bull**** they spewed to justify stealing Garland's seat through a refusal to do their duty of providing advice and consent. All along I've been saying I did not think the Democrats should retaliate with anything like court-packing. I changed my mind. They should:

- Expand the number of justices to counter the effect of GOP scumbaggery (or possibly, go farther than countering, as punishment/retaliation);

- Admit Puerto Rico and D.C. as states;

- Pass legislation requiring 60 votes for judicial nominee, and set any limitations on when a nominee might not be voted on in stone. It's important that this is legislation, not tradition, for the modern GOP is without honor.

Trumpists spent the last decade and a half, perhaps two decades, telling "the left" (which these days means anyone who isn't a Trumpist) that it is an enemy to be fought, not a group of people with different policy opinions. Time we took them at their word.
She was very ill and should have and would have resigned last year if a Democrat was president. She wanted another left winger like her. she only stayed there hoping she wouldn’t die before the election. That alone makes it mandatory Trump get a conservative in there.

She was very ill and should have and would have resigned last year if a Democrat was president. She wanted another left winger like her. she only stayed there hoping she wouldn’t die before the election. That alone makes it mandatory Trump get a conservative in there.

We'll just pack the court until you're outnumbered. :)

Fat chance, Mitch McConnell will show his hypocrisy and Lindsey Graham will show himself to be a liar,

That's the thing. The leftwing media is only interested in comparing McConnell's words. They forget to list the whole host of leftwingers who have also apparently changed their views since 2016, such as...ta da....Ruth Ginsburg who said then the current president should be able to seat a justice in the final year of his term.

Fat chance, Mitch McConnell will show his hypocrisy and Lindsey Graham will show himself to be a liar,
Ginsburg's last wish in regards to the US Supreme Court has no legal standing. Her replacement is not up to her. If she wanted to be replaced by a democrat president, she should have retired before Obama left office. Instead, she rolled the dice and assumed that the hildabeast would be elected in 2016.

Ginsburg was vocally against packing the court.

So what? I'm not RBG. She was too civilized to deal with MAGA freaks.

I am in favor of doing anything that screws up your game.

Ginsburg's last wish in regards to the US Supreme Court has no legal standing. Her replacement is not up to her. If she wanted to be replaced by a democrat president, she should have retired before Obama left office. Instead, she rolled the dice and assumed that the hildabeast would be elected in 2016.
Yep. Ginsburg had a golden opportunity to have her seat filled by the left. Instead, her own arrogance and belief in her own press clippings, that she was an indispensable icon, went to her head. She started to think it was all about her. She failed to understand the Marxist left doesn't love anyone. They only use them.

People with your viewpoint aren't changing hearts and minds.

Yep. Ginsburg had a golden opportunity to have her seat filled by the left. Instead, her own arrogance and belief in her own press clippings, that she was an indispensable icon, went to her head. She started to think it was all about her. She failed to understand the Marxist left doesn't love anyone. They only use them.
There are some who said RBG wanted to hang on long enough for Hillary to become President so her successor could be the first woman nominated by a woman President to suceed a female Justice. Oh, well, best laid plans . . .

Then you should totally understand that the republicans will do everything they can to screw up yours.

Then you should totally understand that the republicans will do everything they can to screw up yours.

Yeah, that's been obvious for quite some time now.

I just noticed that granting her last wish, taken literally, would mean that Trump wouldn't appoint a new Justice even if he won the election. Very telling indeed.

I have already stated it had no legal standing.

I'm not in the hearts and minds business.
Marxists never are. They aren't out to convince anyone of the superiority of their ideas, because they can't. No, Marxists' MO are lies, propaganda, violence, and coercion.

You have just proven the double standard at play. To turn your exact words around and ask you a plausible question 'It would only make sense to wait and see if Biden wins, then they would get a better nominee'

I have not seen higher levels of hypocrisy in my life.
There are some differences in the situations, I don't disagree with that. However, its inconsistencies in principle as the basis for McConnell's decision was that it was an election year. That was the primary reason underpinning his decision.

Is 2020 not an election year?
He won't be. If you and he are so confident that he will be elected and endorsed by the people why can't he select a justice after 3rd November. This has never happened before, so close to the election and under such unusual circumstances. The average time it takes to select a justice and finalize their position is around 2.5 months. So based on historical appointments, the justice wouldn't actually be appointed until after the election. The selection of a judge should represent the mandate of the people, either for a progressive or conservative agenda. The judge should reflect this.

You didn't answer my question. If he is so confident that he will win, why can't the justice be selected after the election?
To be clear 8 months is much more time than just over 1.5 months. My point is Obama's nomination would have been selected and the position would have been filled well before the election. That is in the process of selecting the judge at no point would the mandate of the people have changed. With Trumps process of selecting the judge, the mandate of the people could change, as it likely won't be fulfilled and processed until after the election. There is a difference

This article will insight you into the issues here: https://apnews.com/bb9932748b199f793cb2ccbefa713a5f
You really have not provided one reason why Trump should not nominate someone. There is a vacancy now, he is the President now. You have not named a situation, in our history, where a President has said that they are going to delay nominating someone. Yet, you want Trump to do that.

And let's not kid each other, the Democrats would NEVER do that. For Christ sake, they've been threatening to pack the Court the next chance they get. That is despicable.
And, throw in that they have 1,000 lawyers ready to contest the election, we must have a new Justice in place ASAP, to prevent any 4-4 ties on the Court.

Trump will win in a landslide.

Democrats allowed Reagan to fill a court vacancy 13 months (just shy of a year) before the end of lame duck term, so don't give me bullshit about Democrats have ever made the kind of power grabs Republicans have.
TRUMP ISN'T A LAME DUCK. Trump is running for another term as president. Figure it out, just once.

In 2016 Ginsburg said that it’s the senate's constitutional to hold hearing for a Supreme Court nominee at any time during a president’s term. She did a 180 on that.

Biden just said it is a constitutional abuse to hold confirmation hearings at any time during an election year. He did a 180 on that too.

Incredible isn’t it?

Of course, she wished a hard core commie as successor and hoped Donald will lose.

McConnell wanted to go nuclear in 2005, but backed down because he knew he'd soon be in the majority. When the shoe was on the other foot he began filibustering every vacancy he could, and was warned by Reid not to filibuster everything, or he would McConnell to the threat he had made to Democrats himself in 2005. McConnell agreed, but then reneged and turned the Senate into Benghazi central, and it became obvious the POS was hoarding seats for the GOP, which he planned to fill the second an R was in the WH.

Anybody thinking McConnell would have allowed Dems to filibuster like he did, even if Reid hadn't gone nuclear is just not worth a conversation. McConnell is proving he operates by no rules, and will do whatever is necessary to grab power, and achieve the Holy Grail of turning the SC into an arm of his party.

Republicans have been put on notice that if they do this Democrats might overturn the law that limits the number of justices to 9.
If you advocate that SCOTUS be increased from 9 you aren't moderate or slightly liberal.

Back
Top Bottom