• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ginsburg declining to retire may taint her legacy.

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
She should have retired when Obama was president.

On a secondary note, I am not sure why a judge would stay on the bench until death. How effective can one be in their late 80s as a judge?

John Paul Stevens retired when Obama was president. If he had not retired and did what Ginsburg did, he would have been replaced by a judge chosen by Trump.

She is obviously was an intelligent lady, so respectfully, she was selfish for not retiring. If Republicans can outsmart Democrats and be better politicians, another step towards banning abortion and beefing up gun control.

You also need to blame weak Democrat leadership. Where were Obama and the Democrat leaders who should have worked out a "deal" for Ginsburg to retire?

She should have retired when Obama was president.

On a secondary note, I am not sure why a judge would stay on the bench until death. How effective can one be in their late 80s as a judge?

John Paul Stevens retired when Obama was president. If he had not retired and did what Ginsburg did, he would have been replaced by a judge chosen by Trump.

She is obviously was an intelligent lady, so respectfully, she was selfish for not retiring. If Republicans can outsmart Democrats and be better politicians, another step towards banning abortion and beefing up gun control.

You also need to blame weak Democrat leadership. Where were Obama and the Democrat leaders who should have worked out a "deal" for Ginsburg to retire?
Ageism bull shit. Capable people should never be prevented from doing their jobs.

If you knew the true extent of her legacy, you wouldn't make such a silly thread.

Apparently, she was begged, begged to step down during Obamas time.

She chose not to.

I don't know if it would "taint her legacy".

But it was a tactical error, a massive one and that error, could scar a more progressive America than the Court will represent for a generation... Or More.

Watch the reaction when we pack the Court.

They thought they had reached rock bottom, but they don't know what true impotence is yet.

It was a tactical error. What motivated RBG to stay through Obama's 8 years is a guess. I would assume that expecting Hillary to win played a big part.
No matter the reason, we are here because RBG decided to take a gamble on Trump losing, and further gamble she'd make it until he was out of office.
SHE is the reason we are in this crisis and for that, her legacy is tainted.

You don't know anything about her legacy, but thanks for stopping by.

I feel bad for the Ginsburg family loosing a loved one is tough on any family.

I didn’t usually agree with her discussions and feel the Supreme Court is now a little better without her on it. Her refusing to retire didn’t taint her legacy her poor rulings did that.

You don't know anything about her legacy, but thanks for stopping by.
Yeah, thought I was hovering over the target.

Name a single Supreme Court decision in which you disagree with her. What was her reasoning in that case, and on which legal grounds do you base your position?

Yeah, thought I was hovering over the target.

Or you could've shown that you actually knew anything about her legacy. You know, a rebuttal that wasn't impotent.

Or you could've shown that you actually knew anything about her legacy. You know, a rebuttal that wasn't impotent.
So, I was spot on. I imagine realizing your hero wasn't perfect is annoying. Imagine if the Notorious RBG had retired when Obama was in office, when it was safe and assured that another leftie would replace her.
Now the balance of the court is in play. Too bad, so sad.
Thanks, Ruth.

Apparently, she was begged, begged to step down during Obamas time.

She chose not to.

I don't know if it would "taint her legacy".

But it was a tactical error, a massive one and that error, could scar a more progressive America than the Court will represent for a generation... Or More.
Completely agree with you.

So, I was spot on. I imagine realizing your hero wasn't perfect is annoying.

Yes, you said that once already. Have I already stunned you so completely that you're reduced to simply repeating yourself?

Usually it takes two snips to castrate. But these Trump supporters throw their junk at the scissors.

So, I was spot on. I imagine realizing your hero wasn't perfect is annoying. Imagine if the Notorious RBG had retired when Obama was in office, when it was safe and assured that another leftie would replace her.
Now the balance of the court is in play. Too bad, so sad.
Thanks, Ruth.

Yes if abortion gets banned or gun control gets eroded, she will have to take partial blame for that.

Yes if abortion gets banned or gun control gets eroded, she will have to take partial blame for that.

No, she won't, but I appreciate watching you try to use logic.

Abortion isn't going to get overturned. Gun control? Trump's next appointment is going to protect the 2nd amendment.

Ginsburg declining to retire may taint her legacy.

Maybe all the celebrity worship convinced her she was more than a replaceable partisan cog.

And at the end of the day, few supreme court justices in US history are remembered for much of anything.

It is so easy to spot the sociopaths these days.

Maybe all the celebrity worship convinced her she was more than a replaceable partisan cog.

And at the end of the day, few supreme court justices in US history are remembered for much of anything.
Yes, clearly RBG became an activist and enjoyed her celebrity and IF her "dying wish" is indeed true, she had no rights nor standing to expect anyone to indulge the request.
Treating it as sacrosanct is ridiculous.

So I guess she was a hero after all.

Yes, try to make sure a fascist Trump government and his racist cops have as much power over you as possible.

I mean, how exactly does this particular "progressive" argument go:

p. Cops are evil racists.
p. Trump is a fascist wannabee dictator.

c. Only cops and Trump's government should have guns.

It's truly brilliant.

Back
Top Bottom