• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gingrich tops Trumps VP List

disneydude

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Newt Gingrich Tops Trump's VP List

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich is now the leading candidate to be tapped by Donald Trump as his running mate, a close confidante of Trump tells Newsmax.

On Tuesday, Trump told the AP that he has whittled down his choices to 5 or 6 names.

"I have a list of people that I would like," Trump revealed in his interview Tuesday.

But the name that keeps cropping up as his favorite is Gingrich, a Trump confidante tells Newsmax.

Frankly......this would be Great. Can you imagine Trump/Gingrich....two hypocrites on their third marriages with history's of maritial infidelity attempting to attack Hillary for Bill's indiscretions?

This will be entertaining!

Former House Speaker Newt Gingrich is now the leading candidate to be tapped by Donald Trump as his running mate, a close confidante of Trump tells Newsmax.

On Tuesday, Trump told the AP that he has whittled down his choices to 5 or 6 names.

"I have a list of people that I would like," Trump revealed in his interview Tuesday.

But the name that keeps cropping up as his favorite is Gingrich, a Trump confidante tells Newsmax.

Frankly......this would be Great. Can you imagine Trump/Gingrich....two hypocrites on their third marriages with history's of maritial infidelity attempting to attack Hillary for Bill's indiscretions?

From what I can tell, a general voter doesn't give two ****s about how much tail you can nail as long as you aren't raping someone.

It has to be a hoax.

Gingrich would add quite a bit of creditability to Trumps economic plans,
but I am not sure it would help him win the election.

Picking Gingrich would be a good move.

It has to be a hoax.

Agreed. If Trump picks Gingrich then we might as well go back and rethink the pending bigger landslide win for Hillary.

Newt did some "Evolving" after DOMA, and while the term is usually used to cover necessitous flip flops, he came off as a little more genuine than I expected, like he really was doing some deep(ish) thinking about the issue. Not that I buy it completely, but anyone with a rightward lean will probably see it that way. Both flip flopping and gay marriage are ... sensitive issues for Shillary anyway, so there's that. He could have picked worse, but I don't see it really helping him. We know the GOP has fallen in line behind him, and most people know the VP is mostly just for show. Kasich would have at least brought Ohio, if he was willing to accept being the bottom of Trumps ticket.

But good point on the marriage/infidelity, I guess "Family Values" won't be discussed much this summer/fall by either camp.

I thought the narrative was supposed to be that these indiscretions don't matter...I know, I know, that only applies to libs...

Personally Gingrich would be a good choice IMHO. Smart, Constitutional, and able to navigate the system.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

I thought the narrative was supposed to be that these indiscretions don't matter...I know, I know, that only applies to libs...

Personally Gingrich would be a good choice IMHO. Smart, Constitutional, and able to navigate the system.

That's the point! Trump has been trying to make an issue of this recently....picking Gingrich would eliminate any discussion of "family values". Kinda hard to point the finger at someone on their first marriage, despite marital infidelity....when Both You and your VP candidate have multiple marriages and multiple examples of marital infidelity.

not as bad as palin or julie-annie
think he should go for it

just don't ask cheney for advice
we know who he would suggest

Generally they don't, but some affairs are more distasteful and when someone decides to make it the nation's business to shame people who break their marriage vows then you better believe we'll find their skeletons and make them dance. I don't know what Trump would gain by picking Gingrich.

He isn't very popular among the general public, but he can be an intermediary between Trump and Republican establishment in Congress. Maybe that's it. I'd be surprised if Gingrich would accept such an offer. He didn't take his own campaign seriously the last time he ran so I don't know that he would want it.

I would actually consider this some sterling and reasonable analysis if I could ever once recall you attacking Hillary for her hypocrisy of making a campaign issue of being "with" women that have been sexually assaulted and claiming that they should be believed to be speaking truthfully when making such claims, considering her part in defending her husband continually from people making such accusations towards him in the 90's.

As it relates to strategy and the potential hypocrisy of such things, it's a fair point in the notion that it could potentially harm Trumps ability to attack based on that. On the flip side, as we've seen repeatedly, conventional wisdom hasn't seemingly stopped the damage Trumps attacks have managed to do. I imagine that his attacks on Clinton will not be aimed at making her unlikable on a personal level, but rather to try and destabilize the ground she stands on in terms of her attempts to proclaim herself as someone who advocates for and is here to defend women. As was the case in some of the Republican primaries, Trump being an asshole doesn't mean that the sly point he's trying to put across doesn't implant itself well. And, unlike most politicians I've ever seen, Trump has shown an ability to garner support DESPITE being viewed as an asshole by those voting for him.

As it relates to the pick of Newt himself, frankly I like it. I'd prefer a governor so you had some actual government executive experience, but I see the point in not going that route if they're going to hype his business experience as what's really "needed" for the country in terms of the "chief executive". As such, a strong legislative / policy VP would make sense. Newt doesn't particularly help him with any swing state, but he does perhaps help him with some of those disaffected Republicans who are normally solid assumptions to be part of the voting base that were considering sitting out. Trump has shown himself to pull out Republican voters that had took their ball and gone home in previous years (The very thing they attack people for considering now, ironically enough), so a pick that shores up some of the ones that would be taking those peoples place could help.

All told, I think Newt would be a solid, if not spectacular, pick.

But good point on the marriage/infidelity, I guess "Family Values" won't be discussed much this summer/fall by either camp.

I don't think Trump was ever going to go after Hillary from a "family values" standpoint. That'd be too on the nose and "typical" politician, and as accurately pointed out would essentially point the light back on him. I think where he's going to go with it is more attacking the foundation of Hillary's arguments of being a champion, and defender, of women. As opposed to "Bill was bad for cheating", it'll be "Hillary enabled bill to rape". As opposed to "Destroying the moral fabric of America" it will be "Destroying the character of women for daring to accuse her husband of rape". Things like the infamous "Drag a hundred-dollar bill through a trailer park, you never know what you'll find" will be referenced, depicting the Clinton war rooms mentality towards those expressing their "right to be heard" about being raped.

Whether it will stick or not will have to be seen, but I imagine that's going to be the direction Trump goes as opposed to a "family values" approach.

Trump: Well, I'm looking for someone with serious legislative experience.

Newt: Why, I have serious legislative experience.

Trump: Someone with a good grasp of history...

Newt: What a coincidence, Donald. I am a historian.

Trump: An excellent negotiator...

Newt: Why, Donald, do you remember the Contract with America. Yes? I devised that creature. Yes. Me.

Trump: A real conservative...

Newt: Donald, I'm certainly that. Ask anybody. I'm so conservative I save my bodily eliminations. Fact.

I don't think Trump was ever going to go after Hillary from a "family values" standpoint. That'd be too on the nose and "typical" politician, and as accurately pointed out would essentially point the light back on him. I think where he's going to go with it is more attacking the foundation of Hillary's arguments of being a champion, and defender, of women. As opposed to "Bill was bad for cheating", it'll be "Hillary enabled bill to rape". As opposed to "Destroying the moral fabric of America" it will be "Destroying the character of women for daring to accuse her husband of rape". Things like the infamous "Drag a hundred-dollar bill through a trailer park, you never know what you'll find" will be referenced, depicting the Clinton war rooms mentality towards those expressing their "right to be heard" about being raped.

Whether it will stick or not will have to be seen, but I imagine that's going to be the direction Trump goes as opposed to a "family values" approach.

I can see both sides thinking they have an edge to play there. Donald is sure to lose though, just look at everything they packed into that 90 second "harrassment" ad, leaving time to tie 2 other senators into the message as well. At best he can play it that way to take some of the sting out of Shillary's attack, but if he wants to fight it out on this particular battleground ...... She has clearly superior forces and weaponry, and women in general are already solidly behind her. I think the "Crooked Hillary" angle would be a better direction to aim his resources at, there's certainly plenty of dirt to dig in there.

VPs are picked for a few reasons :

1. to deliver an important swing state that the candidate might not otherwise win.

2. to shore up a candidate with nearly no foreign policy experience (i.e. Obama choosing Biden)

3. to shore up a candidate who is unpopular with the ideologues of his own base (i.e. McCain choosing Palin)

4. to shore up a hyperpartisan ideologue with the middle in the general.

there are other iterations, but those are the most important. so,

1. Gingrich was born in PA, but he represented Georgia during his entire career. Georgia is not in play.

2. he was SOTH, so he at least has a lot of experience working with congress. Trump has none. well, Trump did meet with Ryan today, and he has probably purchased members of congress before, but that's not exactly the same thing.

3. looks like Trump already has strong support from his base. he wiped the floor with every other candidate.

4. the important one, especially for Trump. does Gingrich bring the middle? i doubt it. however, does anyone really think that Trump's VP pick is going to have any sort of moderating effect on him? i'd be truly surprised.

either way, that's my take. he'll pick who he wants for his own reasons. i don't care, because he could pick Gandhi, and i still wouldn't vote for him.

I would actually consider this some sterling and reasonable analysis if I could ever once recall you attacking Hillary for her hypocrisy of making a campaign issue of being "with" women that have been sexually assaulted and claiming that they should be believed to be speaking truthfully when making such claims, considering her part in defending her husband continually from people making such accusations towards him in the 90's.

As it relates to strategy and the potential hypocrisy of such things, it's a fair point in the notion that it could potentially harm Trumps ability to attack based on that. On the flip side, as we've seen repeatedly, conventional wisdom hasn't seemingly stopped the damage Trumps attacks have managed to do. I imagine that his attacks on Clinton will not be aimed at making her unlikable on a personal level, but rather to try and destabilize the ground she stands on in terms of her attempts to proclaim herself as someone who advocates for and is here to defend women. As was the case in some of the Republican primaries, Trump being an asshole doesn't mean that the sly point he's trying to put across doesn't implant itself well. And, unlike most politicians I've ever seen, Trump has shown an ability to garner support DESPITE being viewed as an asshole by those voting for him.

As it relates to the pick of Newt himself, frankly I like it. I'd prefer a governor so you had some actual government executive experience, but I see the point in not going that route if they're going to hype his business experience as what's really "needed" for the country in terms of the "chief executive". As such, a strong legislative / policy VP would make sense. Newt doesn't particularly help him with any swing state, but he does perhaps help him with some of those disaffected Republicans who are normally solid assumptions to be part of the voting base that were considering sitting out. Trump has shown himself to pull out Republican voters that had took their ball and gone home in previous years (The very thing they attack people for considering now, ironically enough), so a pick that shores up some of the ones that would be taking those peoples place could help.

All told, I think Newt would be a solid, if not spectacular, pick.

Me too. I sure hope he does it.

Boy...do I agree with this.

And keep in mind that I am a strong Hillary Clinton supporter!

Geez, that speaks poorly of you. Why do you say that out loud?

Gingrich is a lousy pick because, in America, it's far more important to balance the ticket with brown skin and a vagina than to choose someone on substance.

Geez, that speaks poorly of you. Why do you say that out loud?

Gingrich is a lousy pick because, in America, it's far more important to balance the ticket with brown skin and a vagina than to choose someone on substance.

by "substance" you mean someone without brown skin or a vagina
understood

by "substance" you mean someone without brown skin or a vagina
understood

No, substance means substance. As in, who gives a crap if they have brown skin and a vagina, or they're an old while male? These days, we elect American Idols, not problem-solving, proven thinkers.

Back
Top Bottom