• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gingrich says he's inclined to run in 2012 :

Gingrich/Palin would be the perfect team for the GOP in 2012

DeMint, Palin, Newt, bring em all on.

Barack Hussein Obama for president and Jimmy Carter for vice president!!

Barack Hussein Obama for president and Jimmy Carter for vice president!!

You mean Jimmy Earl Carter, I don't see a reason why you'd give one middle name and not the other.

Also, regardless of what you/I think of him, Carter retains majority support to this day, although public approval dropped 9% since 2006.

kudnfan2rkkn4cpuo0aq7a.gif

His approval is actually above Obama's :lol:

I think the debate over whether or not Gingrich's past indiscretions will be unacceptable misses a much more fundamental point: Gingrich himself. He's still the same guy he was 15 years ago, with the same self-destructive behaviors. Even if the voters are willing to forgive him for his past actions, how likely is it that no more shoes would drop over the course of a presidential campaign?

I think a Gingrich campaign might energize the conservative intellectual blogosphere...and no one else. I can't possibly imagine him winning the nomination, much less the election. If he runs, he'd probably end up as a vanity candidate like Dennis Kucinich or Ron Paul, who is loved by ideologues but polls in the single digits among actual voters.

Last edited:
You mean Jimmy Earl Carter, I don't see a reason why you'd give one middle name and not the other.

Also, regardless of what you/I think of him, Carter retains majority support to this day, although public approval dropped 9% since 2006.

kudnfan2rkkn4cpuo0aq7a.gif

His approval is actually above Obama's :lol:

I didn't know Carter's middle name and thanks for the enlightenment.

I can't believe that Carter's approval is above Obama's, according to some Dems. here it was just the opposite and I got hell for it.

Well, that goes just to show you.... :coffeepap

Last edited:
Gingrich says he's inclined to run in 2012
Former House speaker tells 'Fox News Sunday' a presidential bid is 'doable'

Gingrich says he's inclined to run in 2012 - Politics - White House - msnbc.com

what do you think? does he have shot? imo, he probably does, if he can put some knid of spin on his personal failing. we know he's smart.

i don't think he would win. name recognition, yes; but he has no core "following" in the way that a Sarah Palin, or even a Romney does. he also won't pick up Social Conservatives, and without their numbers, any Republican is dead in the water.

You mean just like McCain? Or am I remembering wrong?

You remember right. McCain was married to a pretty woman who was badly injured in a car wreck, and she looked very different when he got back after the war. He began pursuing Cindy while still married, and married her after his divorce.

I have to cut him some slack, though, because of his experience as a POW. It had to have affected his mind in ways I can't understand.

There's also another difference - Gingrich is on his 3rd wife, and he had an affair during his previous two. Also, Newt Gingrich brought the Religious Right to the Republican Party by campaigning on "family values," while John McCain is less (or, well, was prior to 2008) of a social values conservative and generally campaigned on more libertarian policies. McCain has admitted he treated his first wife poorly, which is understandable since he was so young and cocky, and there was tragedy in both their lives (he was a POW and his first wife suffered a traumatic car accident).

It's as plain as the nose on Palin's face that the Republicans currently have no clear leadership figures, much less a Presidential candidate for the party to rally around.

If the best the right can do is Congresscritter-cum-commentator for Fox, then they deserve the spanking they'll get in 2012 as a result.

I'd rather vote for a recycled politician than a rooky.

Look at the results of what happened for electing Obama.

Hopefully we learned a lesson.
I don't want a recycled politician, but I do want a VETTED one.

There's also another difference - Gingrich is on his 3rd wife, and he had an affair during his previous two. Also, Newt Gingrich brought the Religious Right to the Republican Party by campaigning on "family values," while John McCain is less (or, well, was prior to 2008) of a social values conservative and generally campaigned on more libertarian policies. McCain has admitted he treated his first wife poorly, which is understandable since he was so young and cocky, and there was tragedy in both their lives (he was a POW and his first wife suffered a traumatic car accident).

Oh, he was a POW and his first wife was in an auto accident? I didn't know that...

Regardless of what you think of his policies, I think it's fairly obvious that Obama is the biggest obstacle at the moment to both the Democratic party and fixing the stuff Democratic base elected him to fix. I reckon that if he leaves in 2012 he'll be looked back on as a George H.W. sort of president; someone who didn't live up to his campaign promises (read my lips :p), and who left office with about 50% approval, but who in a few decades is looked back on okay by 60% of the population or so.

If he stays another term, I think he'll be a Lyndon Johnson.

I cant really think of anyone the Republicans could get to actually win besides Newt.

I cant really think of anyone the Republicans could get to actually win besides Newt.

That is because our imaginations are not really working right now. We have the past and the present, but only a few people are able to seriously envision a future. Those few people are none of us, and they are not ready to share.

If it's between Newt, Palin, Huckabee, and Romney, I'd probably lean towards Newt. But I hope it does not come to that.

That is because our imaginations are not really working right now. We have the past and the present, but only a few people are able to seriously envision a future. Those few people are none of us, and they are not ready to share.

Thank you Ghandi

Thank you Ghandi

My name is Gandhi, thank you very much. Just be like...Gand....HI! when you see my small, boney, tan ass.

Newt can't win. He is an incrediably polarizing figure, it'd be like the Democrats nominating Nancy Pelosi.

The same Newt that divorced his wife while she was on her death bed and then was boinking another woman after that/cheating on his new spouse all the while he was condemning Bill Clinton for his indiscretions? That Newt?

Well...he would serve the hypocritical platform of the GOP very well.

Did you think about those things when you pulled the lever for Edwards?

I didn't know Carter's middle name and thanks for the enlightenment.

I can't believe that Carter's approval is above Obama's, according to some Dems. here it was just the opposite and I got hell for it.

Well, that goes just to show you.... :coffeepap

Kennedy was overrated, and still is. He probably would have lost in '64. Johnson got the sympathy vote. Kennedy's private life makes Clinton look like a choir boy.

Gingrich is a great idea man and intellectual. Don't know how he'd do on the campaign trail. I think he'd be an asskicker in any debate.

If it's between Newt, Palin, Huckabee, and Romney, I'd probably lean towards Newt. But I hope it does not come to that.

Its not just the guys that we have already seen though. Mitch Daniels, Paul Ryan, Tim Pawlenty, Marco Rubio, Hayley Barbour, among others will probably be running as well. I don't know much about them yet though, so I am sticking to Huck/Newt right now.

I've always thought that a reliable indicator that a band has jumped the shark is when the best they can do amounts to releasing remixes, "introspections" and "greatest hits" albums.

Newt can serve to keep the focus on Conservative principles, but I don't believe he can pull this off.

Back
Top Bottom