• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gilette Anti-Male Ad

dirtpoorchris

King of Videos
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian

To be fair I think most American kids arent even raised by their dad nowdays...

IMAGINE A VENUS AD:
A female teacher is eying the high school football team and calls in a jock for “extra tutoring”. Another teacher interrupts her saying “Not cool”. The voiceover comes on : “SOME women are already the best of women.. but some is not enough.”

Next scene is a woman threatening to abort her unborn child simply to emotionally manipulate her lover. The nurse walks in and shakes her head in disappointment.

You saw that ad as anti-male? Seriously?

You saw that ad as anti-male? Seriously?

Ya.. it definately portrayed males as being assholes and totally ignores women, who are usually way more hissypissier and gossiping and workplace bullies.

It definitely has the sense of "guys can be assholes, so please lets try harder."

Its more of a shaming commercial than a commercial with a story lesson built in.

The male triggering over this harmless ad does not speak well for men.

Ya.. it definately portrayed males as being assholes and totally ignores women, who are usually way more hissypissier and gossiping and workplace bullies.

It definitely has the sense of "guys can be assholes, so please lets try harder."

Its more of a shaming commercial than a commercial with a story lesson built in.

That's an interesting take on the ad; I didn't see that at all. For me the message was about teaching our sons to be better people. Not objectifying women, or being bullies doesn't sound like it's "anti-male"; it's just teaching men not to be jerks.

I saw the commercial as a message to the men who are not assholes to stand up for what is right rather than be silent in the face of bad behavior. The men who exhibit bad behavior aren't the "norm"; their behavior doesn't correspond with the proper order of the universe, and good men who are silent need to recognize that fact. And there are good men who aren't silent, and a positive message from the commercial is that these are the men who should be emulated.

I saw the commercial as a message to the men who are not assholes to stand up for what is right rather than be silent in the face of bad behavior. The men who exhibit bad behavior aren't the "norm"; their behavior doesn't correspond with the proper order of the universe, and good men who are silent need to recognize that fact. And there are good men who aren't silent, and a positive message from the commercial is that these are the men who should be emulated.

Exactly. It's a positive message for anyone who is not a ****ing asshole.

What do you find anti-male about the bolded statement?

That's an interesting take on the ad; I didn't see that at all. For me the message was about teaching our sons to be better people. Not objectifying women, or being bullies doesn't sound like it's "anti-male"; it's just teaching men not to be jerks.

"boys will be boys" refers to comming home muddy or bringing a salamander home... Not sexually assualting women without permission or discarding womens opinions and then lining up rows of all the dads in the world saying "boys will be boys" just to excuse it all... Its a horrible commercial.

Here's a whole school full of boys who need to study that commercial.

ill stop complaining when i see a venus razor commercial against women bullies who specialize in emotional manipulation

"boys will be boys" refers to comming home muddy or bringing a salamander home... Not sexually assualting women without permission or discarding womens opinions and then lining up rows of all the dads in the world saying "boys will be boys" just to excuse it all... Its a horrible commercial.

It's been used to refer to a lot more than that; it's clear they're not referring to coming home muddy or bringing home a salamander.

ill stop complaining when i see a venus razor commercial against women bullies who specialize in emotional manipulation

Just send them over to my house. I'll work with it. But, only send the hawt ones.

Here's a whole school full of boys who need to study that commercial.

Or maybe they needed a dad to teach them what real masculinity is instead of being taught it by their single mom.

Sorry but a commercial with every dad in the world lining up and explaining "oh well boys will be boys" after showing all the ****ed up bullying is offensive.

Or maybe they needed a dad to teach them what real masculinity is instead of being taught it by their single mom.

Sorry but a commercial with every dad in the world lining up and explaining "oh well boys will be boys" after showing all the ****ed up bullying is offensive.

I would certainly be pro-dad and anti-single mom's raising boys. But, dads who whine about this commercial probably do an even ****tier job raising boys than women.

Then why do they have every dad lined up in the world chanting "Ehhh boys will be boys!" They are attacking the common average man. Well not really attacking... But shaming. Which is a micro-agression!

Last edited:
I would certainly be pro-dad and anti-single mom's raising boys. But, dads who whine about this commercial probably do an even ****tier job raising boys than women.

I know one thing. Over a million men stopped using Gilette when they released this so obviously they messed up somehow! lol

I think they may be making a new womens brand razor or something.

They could include shaming trump to just to increase sales! Get rid of ugly hair! Then shave like a little orange poofy piece of hair.

Since they're also showing a dad who breaks up a fight, and a friend who stops another friend from chasing after an attractive woman, they're clearly not referring to every man. Also, there's no uniform version of what masculinity is; which is part of the problem. For some men it is tied more to physical strength and dominance, while to others it is something else entirely. Having worked in blue collar and white collar environments, the perception of masculinity can vary greatly.

Then why do they have every dad lined up in the world chanting "Ehhh boys will be boys!" They are attacking the common average man. Well not really attacking... But shaming. Which is a micro-agression!

Is this where I tell you to "man up"?

:)

Indeed.

Considering joining the Dollar Shave club.

Since they're also showing a dad who breaks up a fight, and a friend who stops another friend from chasing after an attractive woman, they're clearly not referring to every man. Also, there's no uniform version of what masculinity is; which is part of the problem. For some men it is tied more to physical strength and dominance, while to others it is something else entirely. Having worked in blue collar and white collar environments, the perceouption of masculinity can vary greatly.

no that happens AFTER the chanters. (especially doubly so because its a short story. and the ONE dad breaking up a fight happens AFTER the huge chant of every dad in the world going "ehhh boys will be boys" and shrugging off huge insults and bullying) As in "be a resolution to the huge toxic masculinity that exists in our world" Which is one weird ****in awkward way to sell ****.

Its a toxic feminist commercial.

Indeed.

Considering joining the Dollar Shave club.

I never understood that. My disposable razors last for months. Of course, there is a trick to it. Dry the blades before putting it up.

Now, my wife, she'll tear up a razor in a few days. Legs will eat up a blade in no time. Hence, why women buy the most razors.

To be fair I think most American kids arent even raised by their dad nowdays...

IMAGINE A VENUS AD:
A female teacher is eying the high school football team and calls in a jock for “extra tutoring”. Another teacher interrupts her saying “Not cool”. The voiceover comes on : “SOME women are already the best of women.. but some is not enough.”

Next scene is a woman threatening to abort her unborn child simply to emotionally manipulate her lover. The nurse walks in and shakes her head in disappointment.

Red:
Were they in the past?

My own rearing was mostly managed by my mother and the household staff she employed. Dad came into the picture when one of us got out line or when it was time to teach us things that weren't part of Momma's sphere of "expertise."

For instance, Dad taught us how to defend ourselves. That wasn't because Momma didn't want us to be able to; it was because Dad didn't want us sparring with Momma, and Momma didn't want to do so either. That said, Momma would spank us just as surely as Dad, which was a terrible thing to have happen because if we'd done something vile enough to move her to corporeally discipline us, Dad was going to do so too when he got home.

Dad was always present, he'd help with homework when asked, show up for things when asked, respond to us and play with us when we needed him to or when he wanted to, but he wasn't the one who taught us most of the lessons we learned from our parents. He was the one whose presence was always in the back of our minds as the man whom we didn't want to displease by misbehaving, not doing as Momma instructed.

Blue:
I'm not sure what point you're attempting to make with that remark, but whatever it be, it elided my notice. Is there ever a good reason to "emotionally manipulate" one's lover, or anyone else, for that matter? I think not.

There's no limit to the various means and modes reprobates, boors, cads, etc. may invoke to manipulate another. The problem is that one is attempting to manipulate another, not the tack one chooses to do so.

And "grab them by the *****" is just locker room talk.

no that happens AFTER the chanters.

Yes, this is how linear time works. The **** is your problem with it?

Do you turn off movies halfway through and complain that the plot doesn't pay off!?

Back
Top Bottom