• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gilbert Gottfried, RIP

beefheart

Ice Cream for Crow?
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Holy shit.....I am just shocked. I've met Gilbert a few times after shows and have listened to nearly all of his 400+ podcasts.

Evidently he had a long term illness. I know he moved to Florida last year, and the production of his podcast has been less than usual.

Wow. Condolences to his wife Dara, and his two kids, this is just....

Was the voice of his act his normal voice?

Saw him in a Boston comedy club many years back. Absolutely hilarious. Mrs. Morton and I still quote a few of his lines from that show.

"Pardon my language Mrs. Henderson, but that was damned good squid material." (Had to be there.)

Holy shit.....I am just shocked. I've met Gilbert a few times after shows and have listened to nearly all of his 400+ podcasts.

Evidently he had a long term illness. I know he moved to Florida last year, and the production of his podcast has been less than usual.

RIP

I always loved him from when he hosted extremely cheesy mid-day movies on the USA Network back in the 90s.

His bits made them worth watching.

I feel like I just lost my best friend.

The podcasts are amazing, I learned so much, I laughed so hard, and I got to know this guy. Losing Bob Saget, Norm McDonald and now Gil.

I am gutted.

I'm very sorry to hear this.

I think he was hilarious--just the voice, itself, could start me laughing. :)

My condolences to his family and friends. He will be missed.

I feel like I just lost my best friend.

The podcasts are amazing, I learned so much, I laughed so hard, and I got to know this guy. Losing Bob Saget, Norm McDonald and now Gil.

I am gutted.

Seriously. The comics I grew up with are leaving the stage far too quickly. My condolences to his family. RIP Mr. Gottfried.

...but first, Ugu.

RIP

NSFW, but this was one of the funniest stories that Gil loved to tell (along with the Danny Thomas story, the Ceasar Romero story, and the Richard Pryor/Marlon Brando....but I digress)

Too many people dying., and people who are too close to my age (or younger.)

Rest in peace.

I'm not sure why this has hit me so hard, but it has.

RIP... You shall be missed.

Yeah, I'm still bawling. Listen to his podcasts, they are all gems. He really was a nice guy, and so highly respected by his peers.

The last episode I listened to, was on Saturday, it was the annual "In Memoriam" show. At the end they did a tribute to Norm McDonald, and to Bob Saget, two good friends. It was heartbreaking, but also hilarious, weeping and laughing. That is what I am doing today....

That is terrible, he was such a funny man who I have seen in so many things. RIP funny man, you were a great comic.

He was great when used by John Oliver when they were using UK parliamentary videos in a comedic show, which is not allowed. When that happened the first time John Oliver had Gilbert read 3 star yelp reviews from restaurants in Boise Idaho. And in this video (when they were talking about Brexit and could not use UK parliamentary footage) John Oliver had Gilbert read from Theresa May's 585 page provisional agreement with the EU. Gilbert starts at about 1 minute 17 of the video. Enjoy

Part of it is Bigfoot erotica so please if you don't want to listen to this, end your viewing before he starts with this.

Last edited:
Rest peacefully Gilbert, thank you for the laughs, you will always be fondly remembered. Condolences to his family for their loss.

I posted this on the Facebook page for his podcast. Understandably it is jammed with shock, remembrances, sadness and love from so many people who really got to know him, from over 400 shows.

I really gotta hand it to Gil. We met him twice after shows and did the geeky fan handshake and photo op, and I got his book signed, and the movie, and he signed The Aristocrats and Funky Monkey. Each time he was gracious and inviting and nice. I honestly don't know if I could do that every night. Listening to the same jokes, the same references, the same awkward stabs at conversation every show. But he did, he wasn't a dick, it wasn't something he had to do. We went to see Penn & Teller and it was the same way. That is how you endear yourself to your true fans, the awkward geeks who don't know what to say (and who can't do their own amazing John McGiver impersonations on the spot). So thanks to Gilbert... The second time I met him, I thanked him for letting us know that he felt geeky meeting his idols. And I told him that he truly was a mensch. What a wonderful gentleman.

I never got his humor, but can certainly appreciate that others did.

Someone care to refresh my memory, was Gilbert a regular cast member on SNL?

I remember he starred in these movies.

I used to love those movies - I do have to wonder as a grown up if those movies will hold up? I think I'll have to do a re-watch this weekend and see.

Also, who could forget Iago in Aladdin? Typically I loathe those wise cracking animal side kicks but Gottfried killed it.

Back
Top Bottom