• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gianna Jessen

I like her, and I think she's a great hero for the pro-life movement.

After watching the entire video, I must say I think she is spot on and I strongly support her message.

Last edited:
Here's a woman with an induced birth defect happy to be alive. Alive despite, apparently, an earnest attempt to kill her. How could such a thing happen? How could a woman survive, and live, with a disability caused by the instrument of her would be death and be happy about it?

I'm assuming someone will attempt to discredit her, her story, her life. I wonder how many of those would just ask her...with your disability, wouldn't you have wished they'd done it right?

I think she's a fairly typical pro-lifer that uses her unique situation to her advantage.

I don't agree with most of her message, but I do agree that it should not have been legal to attempt to abort her.

I'm surprised this thread has seen so little action (actually I'm not that surprised). Isn't it wrong that due to abortion this woman is suffering for life from a condition directly resulting from the abortion?

Reactions: mac
I'm surprised this thread has seen so little action (actually I'm not that surprised). Isn't it wrong that due to abortion this woman is suffering for life from a condition directly resulting from the abortion?

I'm rather surprised as well.

My daughter sent me the link.

Only because it's difficult to bash someone like her. I'm rather surprised there hasn't been much questioning (discrediting) of her story.

Medical malpractice is tragic. It happens in Australia, too. 'Nuff said.

Regards from Rosie

Medical malpractice is tragic. It happens in Australia, too. 'Nuff said.

Regards from Rosie

What do you mean by malpractice?

Has anybody heard of her? What is your perception?

YouTube - Gianna Jessen Abortion Survivor in Australia Part 1

I'm not clear on what her point is. Why was the birth-mother 'counseled' to have a late-term abortion?

Could we line up every parent who carried a severely ill or deformed baby to term only to watch it suffer excruciating pain and then die within in a few weeks or months?

Could we line up every underage girl lied to or otherwise inappropriately 'counseled' by pro-lifers?

Abortion is a private sadness. I'm not sure what this one anecdotal case has to do with a reasoned discussion.

Only because it's difficult to bash someone like her. I'm rather surprised there hasn't been much questioning (discrediting) of her story.

I don't think it can be discredited. As far as I know, she's been around for awhile, and what she experienced is all true.

Edited to reflect that after doing some digging, I can find nothing to verify the truth of her story as she tells it.

Last edited:
"Anectodal"?

One person talking about her personal experience. A story that compels listeners to believe they have a new understanding or insight into a complex issue.

As apposed to empirical evidence--how often are late-terms really abortions of 'convenience'?

I believe that only late-terms are taking a human life, and support any measure to reasonably prevent this from happening when not necessary to protect life or prevent suffering. The two-doctor rule is the best we have right now, but I'm open to hearing a better way that's both compassionate and pragmatic.

One person talking about her personal experience. A story that compels listeners to believe they have a new understanding or insight into a complex issue.

As apposed to empirical evidence--how often are late-terms really abortions of 'convenience'?

I believe that only late-terms are taking a human life, and support any measure to reasonably prevent this from happening when not necessary to protect life or prevent suffering. The two-doctor rule is the best we have right now, but I'm open to hearing a better way that's both compassionate and pragmatic.

Late term abortions should be subject to full judicial review.

That's the most idiotic idea ever.

Judges aren't doctors.

No, they're impartial. Obviously the opinion of the doctors would weigh heavily on the case. Why should late term abortion require less judicial over-site than a property line dispute or a parking ticket? When Doctor's are the only authority, Gianna Jessens happen.

That's the most idiotic idea ever.

Judges aren't doctors.

So when I'm a doctor I'll be allowed to have my opinion valued more on abortion? Right now I'm just pre-med.

Reactions: mac
So when I'm a doctor I'll be allowed to have my opinion valued more on abortion? Right now I'm just pre-med.

Yeap, and equal to other doctors that can make an informed unbiased opinion.

Yeap, and equal to other doctors that can make an informed unbiased opinion.

Isn't one of the big deals about the American HCR about, in part, Doctor's making too much money? Do Doctor's get paid for performing abortions?

It's like Congress being able to raise their own pay.....oh, wait.....

No, they're impartial. Obviously the opinion of the doctors would weigh heavily on the case. Why should late term abortion require less judicial over-site than a property line dispute or a parking ticket? When Doctor's are the only authority, Gianna Jessens happen.

Who wants impartial? I want a compassionate medical expert to determine the need based on years of MEDICAL experience? A doctor who has looked at thousands of sonograms, reviewed thousands of prenatal tests. A doctor who has delivered deformed children and watched them suffer and die. A pediatrician who has treated all types of infant birth defects.

All the things you mentioned are issues of law. The health of the mother, the health of the child--these are MEDICAL issues.

All we know about that one case is what she tells us.

7 1/2 months is way too late for elective abortion of a healthy baby. I'm glad she lived and I'm glad the damage done to her body wasn't a lot worse. It's great that she's happy to be alive. Nothing she says or has been through changes my stance on abortion, though. I still support first trimester elective abortions.

Who wants impartial? I want a compassionate medical expert to determine the need based on years of MEDICAL experience? A doctor who has looked at thousands of sonograms, reviewed thousands of prenatal tests. A doctor who has delivered deformed children and watched them suffer and die. A pediatrician who has treated all types of infant birth defects.

All the things you mentioned are issues of law. The health of the mother, the health of the child--these are MEDICAL issues.

All we know about that one case is what she tells us.

Basically you want a pro-abortion doctor to judge the worth of a late term abortion.

Back
Top Bottom