• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gianna Jessen

Who wants impartial? I want a compassionate medical expert to determine the need based on years of MEDICAL experience? A doctor who has looked at thousands of sonograms, reviewed thousands of prenatal tests. A doctor who has delivered deformed children and watched them suffer and die. A pediatrician who has treated all types of infant birth defects.

All the things you mentioned are issues of law. The health of the mother, the health of the child--these are MEDICAL issues.

All we know about that one case is what she tells us.

I don't get the "abortion is compassionate" in regards to killing the deformed or disabled. How is it more humane and merciful to burn them to death in utero with saline :confused: As a pre-med student I know some about embryology and human development. As a future medical professional I will be strongly pro-life. However, I don't think doctors should have the final say on a morbid "medical" procedure like abortion. It should be up for judicial review. It's malpractice and illegal in most states for a doctor to kill a fetus accidentally, but it's ok if the woman wants to kill her unborn. Any person of science will understand that the fetus is a human being in the earliest stages of life and development. It's a philosophical and moral issue that typically places the value of life upon an unborn person and the "rights" of a pregnant woman over the unborn child that shall temporarily reside in her womb.

I don't get the "abortion is compassionate" in regards to killing the deformed or disabled. How is it more humane and merciful to burn them to death in utero with saline :confused: As a pre-med student I know some about embryology and human development. As a future medical professional I will be strongly pro-life. However, I don't think doctors should have the final say on a morbid "medical" procedure like abortion. It should be up for judicial review. It's malpractice and illegal in most states for a doctor to kill a fetus accidentally, but it's ok if the woman wants to kill her unborn. Any person of science will understand that the fetus is a human being in the earliest stages of life and development. It's a philosophical and moral issue that typically places the value of life upon an unborn person and the "rights" of a pregnant woman over the unborn child that shall temporarily reside in her womb.

First things first. I commend you on your dream of medical school, and I wish you the best of luck. As anyone who has ever went to medical school can tell you, all of your views are subject to change once you actually go to school. I know a number of people who went in with presupposed observations only to have them do a 180 when they graduated. I can tell you that many things are going to happen to you along that path that will cause you to question your current beliefs. Whether or not those will change your opinion is up to you, but you will most certainly be exposed to situations that will alter your perception. Count on it.

Furthermore, your statement - "Any person of science will understand that the fetus is a human being in the earliest stages of life and development" - is not correct from a scientific standpoint. First off, you are mixing up the terms. Scientifically, a fetus is not the earliest stage of life and development - that's a zygote. Secondly, a fetus is not a human being. I work with embryos and fertilized cells on a daily basis as part of my career, and I can tell you that myself nor any colleague of mine would ever make such the mistake of calling a zygote or an embryo a 'human being'. What you are doing is applying personal beliefs to science; to you, the embryo is a 'human being' filled with a soul from Heaven merely biding it's time until childbirth. There is nothing wrong with that belief, but it isn't scientific. Whatever you believe about an embryo or a fetus on a personal level is fine, but you have to be careful when you assume that 'people of science' agree with you on such a level, because there are plenty who do not. And even those that do separate their personal beliefs from the science.

First things first. I commend you on your dream of medical school, and I wish you the best of luck. As anyone who has ever went to medical school can tell you, all of your views are subject to change once you actually go to school. I know a number of people who went in with presupposed observations only to have them do a 180 when they graduated. I can tell you that many things are going to happen to you along that path that will cause you to question your current beliefs. Whether or not those will change your opinion is up to you, but you will most certainly be exposed to situations that will alter your perception. Count on it.

Furthermore, your statement - "Any person of science will understand that the fetus is a human being in the earliest stages of life and development" - is not correct from a scientific standpoint. First off, you are mixing up the terms. Scientifically, a fetus is not the earliest stage of life and development - that's a zygote. Secondly, a fetus is not a human being. I work with embryos and fertilized cells on a daily basis as part of my career, and I can tell you that myself nor any colleague of mine would ever make such the mistake of calling a zygote or an embryo a 'human being'. What you are doing is applying personal beliefs to science; to you, the embryo is a 'human being' filled with a soul from Heaven merely biding it's time until childbirth. There is nothing wrong with that belief, but it isn't scientific. Whatever you believe about an embryo or a fetus on a personal level is fine, but you have to be careful when you assume that 'people of science' agree with you on such a level, because there are plenty who do not. And even those that do separate their personal beliefs from the science.

I said earliest stages of development. I am not saying the fetus comes before the zygote. An embryo is a human being. It has a full humane genome. We are still human within the womb. A human egg and sperm do not fuse to create a non-human blob that turns into a human once it takes it's first breath. Scientifically, the zef is a human being within our species. It is one of our young in the earliest stages of development. I don't think any rational scientist would deny that the zef is not a human. Individuals may debate "personhood," but there is no debate within science regarding the human status of a zef.

I said earliest stages of development. I am not saying the fetus comes before the zygote. An embryo is a human being. It has a full humane genome. We are still human within the womb. A human egg and sperm do not fuse to create a non-human blob that turns into a human once it takes it's first breath. Scientifically, the zef is a human being within our species. It is one of our young in the earliest stages of development. I don't think any rational scientist would deny that the zef is not a human. Individuals may debate "personhood," but there is no debate within science regarding the human status of a zef.

Quite the contrary. Any scientist will tell you that a zygote is not a human being. A fetus is not a human being. Scientifically, a zygote is a zygote. A fetus is a fetus. Again, the mistake you are making is quite common. You are attempting to project potentiality and personal beliefs and wrapping it up under the name of science. I'll give you an example. I work closely with a local university, and once a semester, i'll allow a professor friend of mine to take his molecular biology class into our laboratory and provide a tour for students. This gives them the opportunity to see some actual science being done in a different setting besides the university's own R&D department. I remember specifically one student a few semesters ago who asked a question very similar to yours. "Those fertilized cells - aren't they human? Don't they contain the entire human genome?" After explaining the differences, I showed him an extracted concatamer of genomic DNA in a petri dish. He got the point. The possession of the entire genome does not make one human any more than it made that petri dish human.

Basically you want a pro-abortion doctor to judge the worth of a late term abortion.

Like Dr. Tiller. His specialty was late term abortions. If I'm not mistaken, he would preform them for the mothers health.
Mental illness was an acceptable cause. Mental illness, such as depression. Apparently all you had to do was say, Gee doc, I feel really fat and depressed, can you help me out here?
Late term abortions and partial birth abortions should be against the law in every state.

Reactions: mac
Like Dr. Tiller. His specialty was late term abortions. If I'm not mistaken, he would preform them for the mothers health.
Mental illness was an acceptable cause. Mental illness, such as depression. Apparently all you had to do was say, Gee doc, I feel really fat and depressed, can you help me out here?
Late term abortions and partial birth abortions should be against the law in every state.

There is more to depression that just "feeling bad." Sometimes late-term abortions are done for SUICIDAL depression, but very rarely. Late-term abortions are illegal except for saving a woman's life and health.

I think she should get a birthday cake shaped like a coat hanger every year.

Hang in there. A mod should be along any minute to direct your call.

That's a Hell of a thing to do to someone, just because they disagree with you. Friend of mine just had a stillbirth last year; you want her phone number so you can prank call her?

That's a Hell of a thing to do to someone, just because they disagree with you. Friend of mine just had a stillbirth last year; you want her phone number so you can prank call her?

Yes strawman give me her number, because the 2 have so much in common. :/

I was not attacking her. She is making her living on what happened to her, on what shaped her life. Her life is based on the circumstances of surviving an abortion. She talks about it all the time. She was invited to the SCOTUS to testify, have you ever been invited to the SCOTUS? I haven't.

Why would you take offense when I suggest she should embrace what has made her, her (can't make a saline cake). In general, holocaust survivors didn't cover up or remove the tatoos. Christians wear the cross which killed Jesus - and celebrate his death on GOOD Friday. How exactly is this any different?

She's a survivor, she won. Her words; not mine. "A fantastic vindication is that the abortionist had to sign my birth certificate".

I was not attacking her.

Hard to see it any other way. I mean, Hell, she's okay with it and everything, but that's no cause to rub her face in it.

I'm the man I am today because of child abuse, but that doesn't mean I want to be on NAMBLA's Christmas card list.

Hard to see it any other way. I mean, Hell, she's okay with it and everything, but that's no cause to rub her face in it.

I'm the man I am today because of child abuse, but that doesn't mean I want to be on NAMBLA's Christmas card list.

I guess you are not as good at seeing the other side as you think...

Does NAMBLA have a Christmas Card list? Do you even celebrate Christmas?

I understand your point, and I understand your position based on your sexually abused childhood. Keeping that in mind, do you get offended by explicit bakery goods?

Clearly I am not saying that you should celebrate your abused childhood. But you are not on talk shows, or being paid to be a speaker to discuss your past sexual abuse. I think once on gets paid to promote their past and make a career out of promoting the experiences which they have lived through, then they should not get offended by cake, expecially when that cake represents THE ONLY PART of their life which they activly share the public for their own selfish needs.

I'm not attacking. I'm not making fun. I am making a point. If you are not able to see that point, maybe it's my fault for not being descriptive enough, or it is your fault for not being able to see my point of view.

Is your point that she should stop dangling her tragic little life story in front of other people to make a point? Because that's something I could get behind.

Is your point that she should stop dangling her tragic little life story in front of other people to make a point? Because that's something I could get behind.

You win the prize... Or if she wants to keep talking about the tragic life, accept the cake and enjoy it.

So when I'm a doctor I'll be allowed to have my opinion valued more on abortion? Right now I'm just pre-med.

Assuming you're offering your opinion on the medical aspects of abortion, absolutely.

If you're talking about the moral or legal aspects, then no, your opinion wouldn't count for more than anyone else's.

This statement pretty much negates anything valid you would have to offer on the subject of abortion, just saying.

This statement pretty much negates anything valid you would have to offer on the subject of abortion, just saying.

Your statement does the same

There is more to depression that just "feeling bad." Sometimes late-term abortions are done for SUICIDAL depression, but very rarely. Late-term abortions are illegal except for saving a woman's life and health.

I've battled depression my whole life.
It would seem to me having an abortion (especially a late term one) while depressed might be the absolute worst thing you could do.
All I was saying was that Dr. Tiller would do them if the woman said she was depressed. I wasn't minimizing depression in general.
Though I feel there is no excuse for late term or partial birth abortions.
I saw a boy on TV who was born 3 months premature. If the mother's life is in danger you can still try to save the baby. You don't have to pull it apart or burn it alive or suck it's brains out or anything heinous like that.

I guess you are not as good at seeing the other side as you think...

Does NAMBLA have a Christmas Card list? Do you even celebrate Christmas?

I understand your point, and I understand your position based on your sexually abused childhood. Keeping that in mind, do you get offended by explicit bakery goods?

Clearly I am not saying that you should celebrate your abused childhood. But you are not on talk shows, or being paid to be a speaker to discuss your past sexual abuse. I think once on gets paid to promote their past and make a career out of promoting the experiences which they have lived through, then they should not get offended by cake, expecially when that cake represents THE ONLY PART of their life which they activly share the public for their own selfish needs.

I'm not attacking. I'm not making fun. I am making a point. If you are not able to see that point, maybe it's my fault for not being descriptive enough, or it is your fault for not being able to see my point of view.

I think it's commendable for people to take time out of their lives to share their stories. You don't know how many people they may help or lives they'll save.

I think it's commendable for people to take time out of their lives to share their stories. You don't know how many people they may help or lives they'll save.

I doubt you think it's "commendable" when RivrRat and I do it.

I agree.

If someone make sharing their life story the most defining part of their life, enjoys getting paid to put him or herself at the center of a highly sensitive topic, then they should do well to celebrate by eating some bakery goods representing the event which embodies everything that makes up that person, and way of life.

Do you disagree?

Would you think anything less of Tiger's wife/xwife if she did a paid condom commercial - I never got HIV because I made Tiger use a condom ... TROJAN MAN.

Abortion is a private sadness.

I would say all life-and-death medical decisions are a private sadness. That does not mean they should be allowed under any circumstances. Having one person die to save another is one thing, but having a person die to save you the money for diapers is another.

I would say all life-and-death medical decisions are a private sadness. That does not mean they should be allowed under any circumstances. Having one person die to save another is one thing, but having a person die to save you the money for diapers is another.

Yeah, that's what it boils down to; how expensive diapers are.

Back
Top Bottom