• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Get Rid of All Video Replay...in All Sports. Period

i think the problem is in the rules, as many analysts point out. THe rules calls this off side. I think they should go by the feet, not the body. That is so close I don't think it should have been overturned

Agreed. Hand of God goal? Yes. this sort of infraction? No.

But as we have seen in other sports, even with VAR in soccer, we still see them completely mess up calls when we can clearly see the video. Even in some cases, the ref refused to look at the VAR when they notified him of something may be off.

i think the problem is in the rules, as many analysts point out. THe rules calls this off side. I think they should go by the feet, not the body. That is so close I don't think it should have been overturned

I think off sides is insane. You can't even teach a kid it until they are 13 or so. Dumbest rule in all of sport.

I think off sides is insane. You can't even teach a kid it until they are 13 or so. Dumbest rule in all of sport.

So there should be no offside? it s a really hard call to make (at least professionals have linesman, I had to ref games being the only ref and try to call offsides correctly, but it is absolutely necessary.

So there should be no offside? it s a really hard call to make (at least professionals have linesman, I had to ref games being the only ref and try to call offsides correctly, but it is absolutely necessary.

No rule in any sport is absolutely nessesary.
The rule is ridiculous and the least correctly officiated in any sport.

No rule in any sport is absolutely nessesary.
The rule is ridiculous and the least correctly officiated in any sport.
I'm sorry, not having offside is what is ridiculous. You'd have non stop breakaways and goals. The entire game would change and would really be shitty

I'm sorry, not having offside is what is ridiculous. You'd have non stop breakaways and goals. The entire game would change and would really be shitty

Why would it be shitty? Because you are used to the old boring soccer and don't want to change? Yes, change bothers many. People are not comfortable with change.
Offsides in soccer is horrible. Period.

I disagree. Replay reviews are limited (at least in American football), and therefore don't disrupt the game much and you lose a time out if you lose the replay call. I'm very against a team losing because a ref made a bad call.
I agree with you on this one. And the standard is, as I understand it, there's either clear evidence for changing a call or it stands. That's the correct call because it gives the ref the "benefit of the doubt" and that's as it should be. In the OP example, that's one where it would be likely preferable if the original call was upheld - it's really too close to call. But those kinds of disputes are inevitable in any system.

The people playing the game are IMO entitled to have the game decided on the play, not a bad call because the ref didn't have a good angle or was looking away or just screwed up or had a bet on the other team. If the player was in bounds at the catch, that should count, even if the ref blew the call. If he was out, the defense should be rewarded for that, etc. I remember a "catch" long ago that decided a game I cared about. It was a fantastic game, "my" team won it on the field, but a referee with a bad angle changed the outcome by ruling what was clearly a non-catch into a last-second game winning TD. It wasn't fair to the players on the field, end of story.

My wife watches tennis and I love the cameras. Bottom line is if a player hits an ace, or a winner on the line, it should count, even if the line umpire missed it because it's a 100mph shot. It's shocking sometimes how badly GOOD umpires miss calls. They're human and it's expected, but the players shouldn't have their livelihood affected by someone else's clear mistake, not when technology allows for easy and ACCURATE replays.

I'd also expect that good umpires/refs welcome the replays. They don't want to their screw ups affecting the outcome. It also should take some pressure off of them, in the moment and certainly after the game is over. So it helps everyone IMO...

Why would it be shitty? Because you are used to the old boring soccer and don't want to change? Yes, change bothers many. People are not comfortable with change.

So, you are whining about offisides in soccer and you aren't even a fan. You can't be if you think its boring. Why not just remove the handball rule, let them use their hands while we are at it

Hmm… are the reviewing officials not on the field?
Actually, often they are not. At least in some sports there are "replay" officials who are in a fixed location, say, Florida, and they receive the video feed in real time and make or help make the call on the challenge for several games. That seems like a good thing to me - they're looking at big screens, high def, and have the controls to do what they need to do, and that's their JOB, and like all jobs you get better the more you do it.

I'm sometimes amazed during basketball games in the SEC to see the refs huddled around these tiny little screens on the sidelines, when there's a massive jumbotron (in UT's arena at least) over their heads showing the play bigger than life.... 🥴

I'd also expect that good umpires/refs welcome the replays. They don't want to their screw ups affecting the outcome. It also should take some pressure off of them, in the moment and certainly after the game is over. So it helps everyone IMO...
If I was refereeing I'd definitely want backup. Sportsmanship is very important to me and I'd feel terrible if I blew a call that cost a team/competitor their W.

So, you are whining about offisides in soccer and you aren't even a fan. You can't be if you think its boring. Why not just remove the handball rule, let them use their hands while we are at it

Lol, my career has been in soccer. My daughter plays at the highest level, (senior national team) my friends are soccer names know across the world.

You are simply set in your ways. The problem in soccer. And another thing, PK's? Another issue that desperately needs attention.

If I was refereeing I'd definitely want backup. Sportsmanship is very important to me and I'd feel terrible if I blew a call that cost a team/competitor their W.
There's a former (top-level) football referee who has a segment every week on the sports talk show during the season, and according to him that's the overwhelming sentiment. He's always suggesting ways HE would change the system, tweaks on the margins, certain calls (e.g. targeting) but not to get rid of instant replay....

You'd have 3 guys hanging out by the opposing team's goal at all times.

Even with video, we have seen egregious errors not called even though everybody can see it with their own eyes. But that will never change with humans involved
You are correct.
Human error cannot be eliminated, but it can be minimized .
Replay improves accuracy, but it isn't infallible.

You are correct.
Human error cannot be eliminated, but it can be minimized .
Replay improves accuracy, but it isn't infallible.

According to the NFL, 9 out of 10 calls made on the field are upheld. We're not getting a lot of utility out of instant replay because there isn't much to get.

Back
Top Bottom