• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Gerontocracy For All

Charles III, at 74, is the oldest person crowned ever King of England. He's rebuilt his reputation since his divorce and the tragic death of his first wife, the wildely popular Diana. But he's certainly not beloved by anyone. His son William is forty. William and Kate are much more popular than Charles has ever been. To me, it's clear that the right thing for the monarchy was for Charles to step aside and allow William and Kate to polish its dingy luster.

Apparently, I'm nearly alone in this opinion. The gerontocracies of the world are so entrenched that next to no one spoke against the clearly fading Charles, and his lady of a certain age consort, being crowned at a time when the younger couple could do so much more to repopularize the monarchy.

But who are we Americans to talk? Our president is an octogenarian. The challenger apparent is a patriotic 76. The Senate minority leader is 81. The recent House majority leader is 83. And she only gave up SotH, not her seat in congress.

Russia's tyrannical leader is 70. China's Xi is 69.

Never have so many owed so much to the so old.

I feel quite the outcast in thinking this is a disgrace. Am I the only one who thinks the world would be a better place if it's leaders were around 50? There's not much we can do about the old timers in China and Russia. But one thing we can do is elect young, vibrant, charismatic folk to stand next to them in photo ops, the contrast highlighting the aged.

And of course Ruth Bader Ginsberg and Diane Feinstein outstayed their welcome with ugly consequences.

This doesn't mean I have a problem with the elderly. I like them — I'd just like them to bloody retire.

A mix of older and younger leaders would be nice, but while hardly an original thought, power is much like a drug. It's very hard to give up once you're hooked on it.

A mix of older and younger leaders would be nice, but while hardly an original thought, power is much like a drug. It's very hard to give up once you're hooked on it.
This is over the top. And I rarely hear anything about it.

In the US they say they want to "serve" in politics but they end up stealing and we blindly call them "public servants". The reason they stay so long is because their stealing is easy.

Charles III, at 74, is the oldest person crowned ever King of England. He's rebuilt his reputation since his divorce and the tragic death of his first wife, the wildely popular Diana. But he's certainly not beloved by anyone. His son William is forty. William and Kate are much more popular than Charles has ever been. To me, it's clear that the right thing for the monarchy was for Charles to step aside and allow William and Kate to polish its dingy luster.

Apparently, I'm nearly alone in this opinion. The gerontocracies of the world are so entrenched that next to no one spoke against the clearly fading Charles, and his lady of a certain age consort, being crowned at a time when the younger couple could do so much more to repopularize the monarchy.

But who are we Americans to talk? Our president is an octogenarian. The challenger apparent is a patriotic 76. The Senate minority leader is 81. The recent House majority leader is 83. And she only gave up SotH, not her seat in congress.

Russia's tyrannical leader is 70. China's Xi is 69.

Never have so many owed so much to the so old.

I feel quite the outcast in thinking this is a disgrace. Am I the only one who thinks the world would be a better place if it's leaders were around 50? There's not much we can do about the old timers in China and Russia. But one thing we can do is elect young, vibrant, charismatic folk to stand next to them in photo ops, the contrast highlighting the aged.

And of course Ruth Bader Ginsberg and Diane Feinstein outstayed their welcome with ugly consequences.

This doesn't mean I have a problem with the elderly. I like them — I'd just like them to bloody retire.
But who will fill their shoes? The younger generations are incompetent.

Age doesn't matter much if at all. Actually, in many countries. it doesn't even matter who's exactly in power, whether we're talking about presidents/prime ministers or members of parliament. Lots of decisions are made by all kinds of unelected bureucrats(not that those elected are much better), behind closed door. Policies remain roughly the same, regardless of who gets elected. All these are part of a mountain of evidence the democracy doesn't work and it's a deeply flawed idea on many levels!

Age doesn't matter much if at all. Actually, in many countries. it doesn't even matter who's exactly in power, whether we're talking about presidents/prime ministers or members of parliament. Lots of decisions are made by all kinds of unelected bureucrats(not that those elected are much better), behind closed door. Policies remain roughly the same, regardless of who gets elected. All these are part of a mountain of evidence the democracy doesn't work and it's a deeply flawed idea on many levels!
Not buying it.

Down with the gerontocracy!

I thought you were talking about Trump saying Geronimo!

We're talking about geriatrics and power?

I wonder who really has the power, oh.

Back
Top Bottom