• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Germany to Oppose New Missiles in Europe if US Scraps INF Treaty

Godric1970

Scottish and Proud
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Germany and other EU countries will not base US nukes ... your only allies in Europe are Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Romania and the remains of the UK after Scotland leaves .... America has become a threat to EU security

https://sputniknews.com/europe/201812261071008805-germany-europe-missiles-inf/

NATO chief Jens Stoltenberg said last month that the alliance had no plans to deploy new nuclear missiles in Europe. However, the US' looming pull-out of the INF Treaty with Russia has raised concerns that Washington might seek a nuclear build-up in Europe.

Germany's Foreign Minister Heiko Maas said on Wednesday that Berlin would oppose the deployment of new medium-range missiles on the European soil in the event of the INF Treaty's demise.

"Europe must under no circumstances become a platform for an arms race debate", Maas told told DPA news agency as cited by the daily Tiroler Tageszeitung. "The deployment of new medium-range missiles would encounter broad opposition in Germany".

He went on to call nuclear build-up a "wrong answer", saying that Cold War-era tactics would not help sort out today's issues.

etc, etc

Ripping up the alliance is exactly what Putin wants.

If NATO countries would provide a heftier self-defense and not, for example, build humungous Ferris Wheels, Atomiums (in Brussels) and provide more paid vacations for employees, there wouldn't be a worry for Putin's military and need for the US's military.

Nuclear weapons are no longer required or useful, even as deterrent since everyone understands the use would be an absolute disaster both physically and diplomatically. No thinking nation wants to risk the accidental or purposeful possibility of the implied destruction when they know any warfare/invasion would immediately seek their pointless nukes. You would immediately set a target for terrorists and anyone else (Russia/China) that still have the mentality of land grabbing.

If NATO countries would provide a heftier self-defense and not, for example, build humungous Ferris Wheels, Atomiums (in Brussels) and provide more paid vacations for employees, there wouldn't be a worry for Putin's military and need for the US's military.

Bull crap... tactical nukes have zero relationship with European Military Expenditures... :doh

This is a one-up brinksmanship between two egomaniacs, not much more.... :peace

Nuclear weapons are no longer required or useful, even as deterrent since everyone understands the use would be an absolute disaster both physically and diplomatically. No thinking nation wants to risk the accidental or purposeful possibility of the implied destruction when they know any warfare/invasion would immediately seek their pointless nukes. You would immediately set a target for terrorists and anyone else (Russia/China) that still have the mentality of land grabbing.

Yes. Not even Russia would use them, even though many think Russia is being guided by another mad man.

Is it fair to ask how you know what exactly Putin wants?

"Friend' (Putin) of my enemy (Trump) is my enemy? Not me, I don't think this.

Germany and other EU countries will not base US nukes ... your only allies in Europe are Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Romania and the remains of the UK after Scotland leaves .... America has become a threat to EU security

Make sure Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Romania, and the UK are well equipped with the latest weapons and also make sure they get a robust missile shield. Those countries wouldn't oppose that and the rest of NATO could do as they like. As for the Russians they will just have to get used to it.

Agreed with others, somewhere in Russia Putin and several Russian military leaders are laughing their collective asses off.

Nuclear weapons are no longer required or useful, even as deterrent since everyone understands the use would be an absolute disaster both physically and diplomatically.

Tell that to Trump and to Kim Jong-un and to the Supreme Leader of Iran. I don't think you are on the same page as them.

Tell that to Trump and to Kim Jong-un and to the Supreme Leader of Iran. I don't think you are on the same page as them.

Yet, nukes can't be a deterrent if one doesn't have them.

I note you left out the parts of my comment that matter so you can offer your commentary without context....allow me to rectify:

"Nuclear weapons are no longer required or useful, even as deterrent since everyone understands the use would be an absolute disaster both physically and diplomatically. No thinking nation wants to risk the accidental or purposeful possibility of the implied destruction when they know any warfare/invasion would immediately seek their pointless nukes. You would immediately set a target for terrorists and anyone else (Russia/China) that still have the mentality of land grabbing. "

I note you left out the parts of my comment that matter so you can offer your commentary without context....allow me to rectify:

"Nuclear weapons are no longer required or useful, even as deterrent since everyone understands the use would be an absolute disaster both physically and diplomatically. No thinking nation wants to risk the accidental or purposeful possibility of the implied destruction when they know any warfare/invasion would immediately seek their pointless nukes. You would immediately set a target for terrorists and anyone else (Russia/China) that still have the mentality of land grabbing. "

I see. So you are saying North Korea, USA and Iran are not thinking nations?

Is it fair to ask how you know what exactly Putin wants?
It should be obvious but if I have to spell it out, a unified western alliance is in the interest of Europe and the U.S. and not in the interest of Russia, which has an advantage when there is division.

That's why Russia worked so hard to get their man elected POTUS.

Heck, watching Trump stand united with Putin, saying he put his trust in Putin, against the entire American Intel community in Helsinki showed us that.

It should be obvious but if I have to spell it out, a unified western alliance is in the interest of Europe and the U.S. and not in the interest of Russia, which has an advantage when there is division.

That is no explanation for how you are privy to Putin's thoughts, sorry. A unified western alliance? Where the US secretly records the phone conversations of the German Chancellor? Where French and German farmers are angry about US sanctions against Russia where those farmers have been selling their goods for generations?

Sounds like some BS government talking point, maybe some NYT BS?

Nobody, including you perhaps, can offer a shred of the legal authority that allows "the western alliance" to practice military aggression against Syria. Are we supposed to pretend that the US can disregard any law it pleases, including its own, such as the War Powers Act?

Trump said today in his visit to US troops in Iraq that we can use Iraq as a place to operate against Syria from. He's such an idiot, but he's done the right thing by at least saying he wants the troops out. He's a pathological liar like so many of his predecessors, so likely we will be staying there, just to keep Cher and Bette Midler happy that our boys are fighting for Israel in Syria.

it has nothing to do with Putin or Russia and everything to do with Americans actions and actions against Europe since W Bush that carried on under Obama and now Trump who has brought it to a head starting with the ABM treaty and the NSA and CIA spying and undermining EU security, power grids, governments, and EU businesses by giving US companies in trade deals they were competing with EU companies we have Edward Snowden to thank for this and the US destabilising Libya and Syria causing mass immigration to the EU ... the EU at that point should have told the US to p!ss off, now their is JCPOA, The Paris Agreement and INF and Trumps comments that the EU is America's foe this has proven to Europe that you are not our allies and we are p!ssed off with America trying to interfere in EU decisions ... take the hint we don't need or want your interference and Nordstream2 will go ahead regardless of America's objections .... it has feck all to do with America

Make sure Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia, Romania, and the UK are well equipped with the latest weapons and also make sure they get a robust missile shield. Those countries wouldn't oppose that and the rest of NATO could do as they like. As for the Russians they will just have to get used to it.

UK will soon cease to exist and the remains will be told to remove their nuclear deterrent from Scottish soil ... so what is left of the UK will be greatly weakened and if America get's p!ss anty about it we will robustly defend our extensive EEZ

Russia then will deploy nukes to Cuba and Venezuela if the governments allow it .... what is good for the goose is good for the gander

it has nothing to do with Putin or Russia and everything to do with Americans actions and actions against Europe since W Bush that carried on under Obama and now Trump who has brought it to a head starting with the ABM treaty and the NSA and CIA spying and undermining EU security, power grids, governments, and EU businesses by giving US companies in trade deals they were competing with EU companies we have Edward Snowden to thank for this and the US destabilising Libya and Syria causing mass immigration to the EU ... the EU at that point should have told the US to p!ss off, now their is JCPOA, The Paris Agreement and INF and Trumps comments that the EU is America's foe this has proven to Europe that you are not our allies and we are p!ssed off with America trying to interfere in EU decisions ... take the hint we don't need or want your interference and Nordstream2 will go ahead regardless of America's objections .... it has feck all to do with America

UK will soon cease to exist and the remains will be told to remove their nuclear deterrent from Scottish soil ... so what is left of the UK will be greatly weakened and if America get's p!ss anty about it we will robustly defend our extensive EEZ

Russia then will deploy nukes to Cuba and Venezuela if the governments allow it .... what is good for the goose is good for the gander

They tried that in the fifties. Didnt work out so well. Missile defense is not putting nukes into the Russians backyard. By the way dont count out the UK quite yet.

They tried that in the fifties. Didnt work out so well. Missile defense is not putting nukes into the Russians backyard. By the way dont count out the UK quite yet.

the UK/London cannot force Scotland to remain in the UK if it pushes us hard enough we will not even go for a referendum we will just revoke the act of union by invoking EVEL they have made Scottish MPs 2nd class MPs thus breaking the act of union which has just two signatories ..... Scotland is not Catalonia ... we can leave when we want

Perfect, NATO should be over now anyways.....there was never a good reason to have NATO after 1989....the less we are there and the less we spend there the better say I.

Back
Top Bottom