• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Germany to close all 84 of its coal-fired power plants

I imagine the usual DP coal-lobbyists will show up to whine about clean energy and denounce climate change.

Well, no. We'll be passing the hat to buy blankets and extra coats for cold Germans.

[FONT=&quot]Coal[/FONT]
[h=1]Germany totally kills coal – will likely end up in the dark, without heat and light[/h][FONT=&quot]From the LA times, a bold move, but unlikely they can pull it off. Germany to close all 84 of its coal-fired power plants, will rely primarily on renewable energy Germany, one of the world’s biggest consumers of coal, will shut down all 84 of its coal-fired power plants over the next 19 years to…
[/FONT]

Well, no. We'll be passing the hat to buy blankets and extra coats for cold Germans.

[FONT="][URL="https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/01/27/germany-totally-kills-coal-will-likely-end-up-in-the-dark-without-heat-and-light/"]
Peitz_Kraftwerk_Jaenschwalde_2010-220x126.jpg
[/URL]Coal[/FONT]

[h=1]Germany totally kills coal – will likely end up in the dark, without heat and light[/h][FONT="]From the LA times, a bold move, but unlikely they can pull it off. Germany to close all 84 of its coal-fired power plants, will rely primarily on renewable energy Germany, one of the world’s biggest consumers of coal, will shut down all 84 of its coal-fired power plants over the next 19 years to…
[/FONT]

They have to build gas plants or else yes, electricity will become unreliable. Already the Germans are spending 1 Billion Euros a year on grid stability, and they are only half done taking nuclear production down. But with unstable as German energy policy has been who is going to take the risk I wonder...those who built nuclear plants and coal plants sure took a gut punch, why should those who build gas plants be treated any better?

This current policy is not going to stand, but by the time the Germans finally wake up to reality the Nuke plants are likely to be irretrievably gone.

Morons.

[FONT=&quot]Coal[/FONT]
[h=1]Germany totally kills coal – will likely end up in the dark, without heat and light[/h][FONT=&quot]From the LA times, a bold move, but unlikely they can pull it off. Germany to close all 84 of its coal-fired power plants, will rely primarily on renewable energy Germany, one of the world’s biggest consumers of coal, will shut down all 84 of its coal-fired power plants over the next 19 years to…
[/FONT]

Greetings, Jack. :2wave:

While reading the above article, I was shocked to learn that Merkel and other German politicians together with various business leaders have actually decided to close all 84 of Germany's coal fired power plants, and will rely on renewable energy in the future. Germany? This sounds very much like what happened in Australia, and the problems they are now facing. Will Putin provide electricity and natural gas to Germany for years to come? If so, what might be the cost for that?

Gee I thought France's Macron would be the 2019 poster child for pushing a green agenda that is destroying its middle class and dealing with the upheaval over it. But lo and behold Germany may have topped them with theirs which will surely leave a lot of people shivering their timbers and gazing into the dark. Should they use their renewable energy to charge their cell phones and computers or will the fridge, the washing machine and dryer, furnace or air conditioner take top priority? :)

Germany has closed 12 of its 19 nuclear power plants. They do indeed chip away at their energy goals.​

And that is a good thing.

And and Australia is dynamiting its coal plants. The world has truly gone nuts.

Germany has closed 12 of its 19 nuclear power plants. They do indeed chip away at their energy goals.​

And and Australia is dynamiting its coal plants. The world has truly gone nuts.

The world is slowly waking up. The nutters are the ones determined to continue the destruction of the environment that supports our way of life.

[FONT="][URL="https://wattsupwiththat.com/2019/01/27/germany-totally-kills-coal-will-likely-end-up-in-the-dark-without-heat-and-light/"]
Peitz_Kraftwerk_Jaenschwalde_2010-220x126.jpg
[/URL]Coal[/FONT]

[h=1]Germany totally kills coal – will likely end up in the dark, without heat and light[/h][FONT="]From the LA times, a bold move, but unlikely they can pull it off. Germany to close all 84 of its coal-fired power plants, will rely primarily on renewable energy Germany, one of the world’s biggest consumers of coal, will shut down all 84 of its coal-fired power plants over the next 19 years to…
[/FONT]

Like I predicted in the OP, the DP coal-lobbyists will come around to muck up the thread. Yup. The usual suspects.

Like I predicted in the OP, the DP coal-lobbyists will come around to muck up the thread. Yup. The usual suspects.

I'm not a coal lobbyist, in fact I work in windpower, but I am deeply mistrustful of this move:

(1) I don't think any cancelor in the future will allow the electricity supply to become unreliable, ever, they would be out of office quicker than they can say "nuclear power"
(2) Unfortunately today renewables are still very intermittent. No cheap battery miracle yet.
(3) Hence coal (or whatever it is that is running reliably) will continue being burnt for electricity.

I really don't see any option that will drop german CO2 emissions signficiantly but to build nuclear reactors ASAP.

Convince me I'm wrong?

Greetings, Jack. :2wave:

While reading the above article, I was shocked to learn that Merkel and other German politicians together with various business leaders have actually decided to close all 84 of Germany's coal fired power plants, and will rely on renewable energy in the future. Germany? This sounds very much like what happened in Australia, and the problems they are now facing. Will Putin provide electricity and natural gas to Germany for years to come? If so, what might be the cost for that?

Greetings, Polgara.:2wave:

Doesn't seem well-thought-out to me either.:screwy

Where do you get that from? The thread topic had coal and Germany in the title; I didn’t think I was derailing the thread by making a tangential post.

I always wanted to use tangential in a sentence! :2wave: :shock:

Greetings, Rexedgar. :2wave:

:lamo :thumbs:

Back in 2010 I first started hearing about an idea in Germany to store summer solar surplus as man made natural gas for winter heating.
https://newatlas.com/storing-surplus-green-energy-as-natural-gas/15007/
It look like they are moving ahead with the idea a bit.
Originally they were discussing using the existing natural gas grid as a storage device.
This would allow moving summer surplus to winter heating.

Where do you get that from? The thread topic had coal and Germany in the title; I didn’t think I was derailing the thread by making a tangential post.

I always wanted to use tangential in a sentence! :2wave: :shock:

You said this:

Just seventy years ago, the Berlin Airlift was flying huge quantities of coal during the winter months. Coal was a primary source of residential heating.

The Berlin Airlift was awesome, yes, but you can't import the sun's rays! ;)

(Yes the electricity generated by solar can be distributed, but for now, not the sun's rays themselves.)

You said this:

The Berlin Airlift was awesome, yes, but you can't import the sun's rays! ;)

(Yes the electricity generated by solar can be distributed, but for now, not the sun's rays themselves.)

The important parts of my contribution were, “seventy years ago” and “was.”

Where you get that I am advocating that Germany return to coal and what solar energy has to do with my post, I haven’t a clue!

Maybe that hatband is a little too tight? :doh. :mrgreen:

Duplicate post...

The important parts of my contribution were, “seventy years ago” and “was.”

Where you get that I am advocating that Germany return to coal and what solar energy has to do with my post, I haven’t a clue!

Here's the bottom line. I'm sure you've heard defenses of fossil fuels that ultimately say, "Fossil fuels were the best form of fuels in the past, therefore they are the best forms now." Your post sounded suspiciously like that--wouldn't you agree?

If, however, you meant the Berlin Airlift to be taken in context of that time, then yes, I think our positions have common ground.

Maybe that hatband is a little too tight? :doh. :mrgreen:

*****hat shaming hasn't worked yet, but you are free to try!

Germany to close all 84 of its coal-fired power plants, will rely primarily on renewable energy

5c4c46d2ce8c9-media_30cb060d9048484a844b7c1e2be05b17-DMID1-5hlq1ionk-640x360.jpg

I imagine the usual DP coal-lobbyists will show up to whine about clean energy and denounce climate change.

No... Just that this may be premature, and likely vary costly. Really depends on the remaining life of the coal plants. Most first world nation coal plants are already past retirement, as natural gas has been the choice for new energy for a long time now.

Back
Top Bottom