• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Germany makes the worlds best cars!

For a super car like the Ford GT it isn't bad. It sure as hell is better than 4 mpg.
The Ford GT is not a daily driver, it wasn't meant to be.

Then one has to ask ... what is the point of such a car if it is not for daily driving...

A car is a tool, nothing more nothing less.. and the more reliable and less cost that is involved in running said tool the better.

And here the Germans are on top when compared to the US. Only Ford Europe can even get close.

However the Germans are not the best on km/liter per say. The French are a tad better if you ask me on that front as they are also more technological advanced.. often too much heh.. However the Germans through their Spanish SEAT wing have launched a car that goes 70+km/liter not long ago.

But lets not forget FIAT. Long the joke of the car world, now makes some of the most attractive and sold cars in Europe and soon around the world. They are often more reliable than German cars and go further on the liter than German cars. Plus they provide quite nice design and technology in the cars for a good price. If the FIAT CEO can do to Chrysler what he did to FIAT, then look out Ford and GM.

Now the ironic thing is that Ford is selling Volvo who has a 70+km/liter engine already and has in many ways provided many of the advances that Ford has used in their US cars..

Then one has to ask ... what is the point of such a car if it is not for daily driving...

A car is a tool, nothing more nothing less.. and the more reliable and less cost that is involved in running said tool the better.

And here the Germans are on top when compared to the US. Only Ford Europe can even get close.

However the Germans are not the best on km/liter per say. The French are a tad better if you ask me on that front as they are also more technological advanced.. often too much heh.. However the Germans through their Spanish SEAT wing have launched a car that goes 70+km/liter not long ago.

But lets not forget FIAT. Long the joke of the car world, now makes some of the most attractive and sold cars in Europe and soon around the world. They are often more reliable than German cars and go further on the liter than German cars. Plus they provide quite nice design and technology in the cars for a good price. If the FIAT CEO can do to Chrysler what he did to FIAT, then look out Ford and GM.

Now the ironic thing is that Ford is selling Volvo who has a 70+km/liter engine already and has in many ways provided many of the advances that Ford has used in their US cars..

Cars are hobbies for some people. Just like Harleys. Cruising in the countryside on a sunny Sunday afternoon or taking a road trip vacation is part of some folks way of life. Cars are tools for some, but much more than that to others. I did not use my Corvette for daily driving. It was for weekend adventures. The US is a big place and there is much to experience.

Neither the Porsche or the new McLaren cost that equivalent in UK sterling. If it's the general comment regarding people driving expensive cars daily - those people exist.
I accept some people buy real drivers cars and leave them untouched in the garage while they get chauffeured around in a Merc or Rolls Royce -t it won't be every multi-millionaire that does this.

Sure they exist, but most people that own sports cars do not use them for daily drivers. They use their SUVs for getting the groceries.
I am not talking about expensive cars, I'm talking about super Sports cars. Most folks don't use them as daily drivers. Just as they don't use their Vintage Muscle cars, antique cars, street rods or custom cars.

Cars are hobbies for some people. Just like Harleys.

I know but that does not change the fact that for a huge majority it is a tool, a transportation method. Hence having a reliable and cheap car is often more key than having a car that can go 245 miles an hour. Fact is no car should really go more than 100 maybe 120 miles an hour since there are speed limits :)

Cruising in the countryside on a sunny Sunday afternoon or taking a road trip vacation is part of some folks way of life. Cars are tools for some, but much more than that to others. I did not use my Corvette for daily driving. It was for weekend adventures.

Dont have to do that in a Corvette.. Can do that in a VW Polo and save a ton on gas.

The US is a big place and there is much to experience.

What on earth does that have to do with it? Europe is a big place too and much to experience.. Africa is a big place and so on. Does not require you to have a 45000 dollar muscle car.

Face it.. it is a penis extender, nothing more, nothing less :)

I know but that does not change the fact that for a huge majority it is a tool, a transportation method. Hence having a reliable and cheap car is often more key than having a car that can go 245 miles an hour. Fact is no car should really go more than 100 maybe 120 miles an hour since there are speed limits :)

Dont have to do that in a Corvette.. Can do that in a VW Polo and save a ton on gas.

What on earth does that have to do with it? Europe is a big place too and much to experience.. Africa is a big place and so on. Does not require you to have a 45000 dollar muscle car.

Face it.. it is a penis extender, nothing more, nothing less :)

We are talking about sports cars here. People that buy them do not look at them as tools. They look at people like you as tools.

Penis extender? Tell that to all the women that love sports cars. :roll:

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFQu2HgDTwQ&feature=related"]YouTube- Crazy Penis Car skit - English comedy sketch[/nomedia]

-- A car is a tool, nothing more nothing less.. and the more reliable and less cost that is involved in running said tool the better --

That argument can be applied to virtually any product which is more about lifestyle and less about pure function. Why buy any mobile / cell phone that has any function beyond making phone calls and basic text? Answer - because people don't want the bare minimum.

--However the Germans are not the best on km/liter per say. The French are a tad better if you ask me on that front as they are also more technological advanced.. often too much heh.. However the Germans through their Spanish SEAT wing have launched a car that goes 70+km/liter not long ago.

But lets not forget FIAT. Long the joke of the car world, now makes some of the most attractive and sold cars in Europe and soon around the world. They are often more reliable than German cars and go further on the liter than German cars. Plus they provide quite nice design and technology in the cars for a good price --

You're ignoring the historical tradition behind French and Italian cars. These were designed and built in hot Mediterranean climates and as such also use slightly lower grade (and thinner) steel than German and Northern European cars. French engineering was always more experimental than the German - French car manufacturers took more technological risks than German. German cars cost proportionately more than other continental rivals hence the expansion into SEAT and Skoda. They have been followed by Peugot, Kia and many other manufacturers.

-- I am not talking about expensive cars, I'm talking about super Sports cars. Most folks don't use them as daily drivers. Just as they don't use their Vintage Muscle cars, antique cars, street rods or custom cars.

I was too - however "hypercars" like the Veyron and McLaren F1 would probably not be used as a daily drive car.

A Porsche 911 or Ferrari Scuderia, Ford GT (40) Lamborghini Murcielago counts as an expensive sports car - but ones I've seen used as a "daily car."

Daily drivers? $500k cars daily drivers? I don't think so.

My next sports car will be another Corvette. I am currently looking for a low mileage 2008 to 2010 only driven on sunday to church. Corvettes are the best value and most fun for the money.

Perhaps if you drive without ever turning that is a nice option.

American cars can only drive on straight roads and nascar style racetracks. :bravo:

Fiat? Come on, those cars arent anywhere near as good as German cars, perhaps they are better than the American ones, and approximately the same as French and Japanese, but come on, honestly, nowhere near German car quality.

Perhaps if you drive without ever turning that is a nice option.

American cars can only drive on straight roads and nascar style racetracks. :bravo:

I see you have never driven a Corvette.

Cars are hobbies for some people. Just like Harleys. Cruising in the countryside on a sunny Sunday afternoon or taking a road trip vacation is part of some folks way of life. Cars are tools for some, but much more than that to others. I did not use my Corvette for daily driving. It was for weekend adventures. The US is a big place and there is much to experience.

And I would feel comfortable and safe driving the US in a German made car, which also makes things more convenient.

actually, he nailed it
spent years doing sports marketing for the 97 car all over the states
looking out at the NASCAR hall of fame building as i write this
and from his european vantage paris aptly described NASCAR today

Welp, You guys were right, NASCAR is turning into the WWF of racing. I haven't really been following NASCAR like i use to but it's really changed in the past 3-4 years!? Wth! Now i know why you all used the word "literally". Are these races starting to look rigged for ratings, or is that just me?:) I wouldn't be surprised if NASCAR gives Jerry Lawler a commentators position...

Welp, You guys were right, NASCAR is turning into the WWF of racing. I haven't really been following NASCAR like i use to but it's really changed in the past 3-4 years!? Wth! Now i know why you all used the word "literally". Are these races starting to look rigged for ratings, or is that just me?:) I wouldn't be surprised if NASCAR gives Jerry Lawler a commentators position...

I think FOX may have ruined it. Where have you gone Chris Economaki?

I know about mechanical engineering and overall performance. :2wave:

You obviously don't.

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQaas5NbIlw&feature=related"]YouTube- 2009 Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 Test[/nomedia]

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxwZhWQYWcQ&feature=channel"]YouTube- ZR1 Goes 200+ MPH! - 2009 Corvette ZR1 Top Speed Run[/nomedia]

Last edited:

How does driving fast on a Narscar type racetrack prove its a good car? Doing a carchase in a city, any German car would perform far better than a silly corvette. It might even crush it on that silly Nascar racetrack, if its the right one.

Top speed doesnt equal a "good car". What count is how good handling and comfort is at high speeds. You dont want to have a car that shakes at high speed, do you? In that case drive the silly corvette. Do you want your car to feel like its floating on the sea sunny day, no waves or win at 5knots while really driving 300km/h, then buy a German car.

How does driving fast on a Narscar type racetrack prove its a good car? Doing a carchase in a city, any German car would perform far better than a silly corvette. It might even crush it on that silly Nascar racetrack, if its the right one.

Top speed doesnt equal a "good car". What count is how good handling and comfort is at high speeds. You dont want to have a car that shakes at high speed, do you? In that case drive the silly corvette. Do you want your car to feel like its floating on the sea sunny day, no waves or win at 5knots while really driving 300km/h, then buy a German car.

Silly Corvette? You are embarrassing yourself. You really don't have a clue, do you?

Silly Corvette? You are embarrassing yourself. You really don't have a clue, do you?

Anyone can make a car that can drive fast on an almost straight piece of asphalt going straight forward.

Very few can make a car that performs well in all situations(racetrack, mountains, old country roadsm cities, highways and so fourth), the Germans have managed this. And not only 1 company, but most of them.

Perhaps if you measure cars by speed, you should get a dragracing car? :2funny:

Last edited:

Even with its electronic problem with recognizing the key being in the car and the trunk not wanting to latch this European fellow, famous for showing how bad some American cars are, picked the ZR1 as his car of the year. Jeremy Clarkson Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 review | Driving - Times Online

Even with its electronic problem with recognizing the key being in the car and the trunk not wanting to latch this European fellow, famous for showing how bad some American cars are, picked the ZR1 as his car of the year. Jeremy Clarkson Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 review | Driving - Times Online

Well.. Its good for its 1 usage, and even then it shakes like all American cars. But then again, Clarkson is known for choosing some rather odd cars as his favourite, often based on max speed, sound(appreciating the Harley Davidson factor) and other useless things, rather than overall performance in all conditions, practicality, convenience and mechanical construction.

My favorite car would be totally silent, would be clean, drive extremely well in speeds below 100km/h, but would also be able to perform/handle well in 200km/h. It should look rather sleek, but neutral, who wants to drive an orange car? It should be comfortable inside and be equipped with practical electronics, and stripped of uneccesasary functions(excludes Ford and GM immediately), it should be reliable and super durable and last me decades of full use(like old Mercedez cars that still roams the road while other cars give up).

For all these things I would choose either BMW, Mercedes or Volkswagen. Although the French cars are the most silent ones. (I once stood on a sidewalk with a large car behind me, all of the sudden when I turned around it was gone, I heard NOTHING).

Give our streets SILENCE!!!!!

Last edited:

Bad choice of witness. Clarkson is almost universally derided for being a total c**k. He's also a complete Amero-phile. He'd even say nice things about an Escalade or a Dodge Caliber. Having said that, I think the Corvette is a great looking car and has a certain grunty charisma that you can only really get from an American sports car. It's horses for courses. If I were doing an LA-New York run across desert and prairie and on mostly wide, straight American roads, I'd choose the Corvette, perhaps a Mustang.

If you were doing a European tour through the Alps, along the Cote d'Azur or around the Scottish Highlands, you'd have a much better time in an Alfa Romeo Spyder, Lotus Europa or, dare I say it, a BMW Z4. They're all around the same price as a Corvette but made for blasting around narrow, twisty European roads.

Well.. Its good for its 1 usage, and even then it shakes like all American cars. But then again, Clarkson is known for choosing some rather odd cars as his favourite, often based on max speed, sound(appreciating the Harley Davidson factor) and other useless things, rather than overall performance in all conditions, practicality, convenience and mechanical construction.

My favorite car would be totally silent, would be clean, drive extremely well in speeds below 100km/h, but would also be able to perform/handle well in 200km/h. It should look rather sleek, but neutral, who wants to drive an orange car? It should be comfortable inside and be equipped with practical electronics, and stripped of uneccesasary functions(excludes Ford and GM immediately), it should be reliable and super durable and last me decades of full use(like old Mercedez cars that still roams the road while other cars give up).

For all these things I would choose either BMW, Mercedes or Volkswagen. Although the French cars are the most silent ones. (I once stood on a sidewalk with a large car behind me, all of the sudden when I turned around it was gone, I heard NOTHING).

The ZR1 is actually a top performer in all aspects. It has strong fade free brakes, great cornering and is massively powerfull.

Around a track, (road course as opposed to Oval) I expect it would beat all European cars but the Enzo or track prepped models ( F430 Scuderia Porsche 911 GT3 etc)

It certainly will beat any european sports car that costs anywhere near what it does.

Admitedly the interior is subpar in comparison, but that is not what the ZR1 is bought for

Last i checked the majority of mufflers now-a-days, including the American cars, are making engines so quiet that you can't hear them over the roar of the tires. Which with your 1-2L engines that really shouldn't be hard for most European cars. And if your looking for sleek, but neutral, comfortable inside (I've never been in a German car and thought that the seats were comfortable), a vehicle that handles good at both 100km/h and 200km/h, a car that has electronics that are practical and durability, sounds like you would want a Cadillac CTS, but wait since it's American it must shake horrendously, can't take curves (even though it has AWD), hell why do they even put steering wheels on American cars since all they do is go in straight lines, and frankly it would be too big for you Europeans.

Back
Top Bottom