• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Germany intends to buy F-35 stealth military jets

Then today, it appears the U.S. is planning to buy 30+ fewer F-35s and Lockheed stock is down over 6% on that U.S. news.

The US order always seemed overly bloated and at risk of reduction.
As good as it (and I do think it's a fantastic bit of kit) the US has always had better luck when you have multiple types from different manufacturers who can show they can make more lifecycle cost reductions.

Europe has always had good defence we just don't spend the crazy money you do.
The UK has had its colonial times and there's zero appetite for us to be the worlds policeman in the way many Americans seem to want.
No they have not. Perhaps look at the state Germanys military had been for the last decade or so.

The US order always seemed overly bloated and at risk of reduction.
As good as it (and I do think it's a fantastic bit of kit) the US has always had better luck when you have multiple types from different manufacturers who can show they can make more lifecycle cost reductions.

Such as ?

Such as ?

All the various versions of the F series aircraft.
I was always been a huge fan of the F-16 as it's small and super agile and just looks nice to me.

The US has made some seriously impressive jets over the past 50 years and trying to have just one type for almost everything just seemed a shame.

All the various versions of the F series aircraft.
I was always been a huge fan of the F-16 as it's small and super agile and just looks nice to me.

The US has made some seriously impressive jets over the past 50 years and trying to have just one type for almost everything just seemed a shame.

The F-16 didn't really have an alternative in service (not counting the X-series experimental aircraft)
The F-15 didn't
The F-22 doesn't
What aircraft rivals the F-35 ?

The one exception is the F-14 which was maintenance heavy and was replaced by later models of the F/A-18 in the USN

Yes the USA has produced some fine aircraft, indeed I think the RAF/RN's best planes since the 50's has been built in the USA, notably the F-4 and C-130
The one exception to this may be the Harrier/Sea Harrier

I've argued in the past that the English Electric Lightning and ADF variant of the Tornado should never have been built, and instead Britain should bought F-4's and then F-15's

We will wait and see if the Tempest will be any good.

The Tempest is looking good so far with some quality partnerships.
The link with Japan for the engine partnership should give good results and so far all the signs seem positive it'll be a great addition to the RAF.

The UK is also going with a novel approach for training jets as well with a new modular aircraft that will be the new aircraft for the Red Arrows display team.

Yup

While patting him on the back, tell him this:

We know you held up aid to Ukraine to extort a political favor from a foreign leader.

No one's perfect
so did biden. we have an admission on video.

Germany intends to buy F-35 stealth military jets

iu

Music to the ears of Lockheed Martin execs and stockholders.

That said, it's good to see Germany finally waking up after a decade of Merkel.

Not just Germany, but all of us in Europe.

Let's hope they woke up now.

Joey

It really was their only choice to replace their aging Tornados

F-18's were never a real option, neither were additional Eurofighters.
It's believable Putin told his BFF in all of Europe Merkelov to ditch the F-35 and get the F-18s instead.

This was after 16 years of Merkelov turning the Bundeswehr into a junkyard of expended parts, vehicle sections, naval guns, airframes and so on and so on.

Merkel convinced Putin that Germany and NATO would be incapacitated or incapable against any renewed Russian military action against Ukraine. So here we are with Germany backtracking once again. I often wonder btw whether Merkel rather enjoyed Trump working constantly to try to wreck NATO.

It's too bad old Rostocker got banned. This would have burned his American hating Germans are the master race believing ass up. And it would have been hilarious.

Was he the one that kept going on and on about that pipeline from Russia into Germany? He used to also make fun of where I live.

It's enough for me to know that he and his AfD brothers are in apoplexy back there in Rostock.

The same for the leftover USSR successor political party in East Germany, Die Link.

The DP outcast Rostocker had to know this among all else was coming as the federal election results were announced back in September. The anti Russia Greens and the anti Russia Free Democrats were going to push and support the new Chancellor from SPD Olaf Scholz. It's been published just recently that when Scholz was Finance Minister in the red-black coalition he had already been drawing up plans to double the defense budget and to take the axe to the Nord Stream 2 Now Kaput gas pipeline to Germany from Russia With Love.

Rostocker must be beside himself that the new coalition government has blown up everything Rostocker was living for.

Back
Top Bottom