• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Germany has cancelled a Cold War-era pact with the US and Britain

Higgins86

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
BBC News - Germany ends spy pact with US and UK after Snowden

As the article says its more of a symbolic move and will have little repercussions for either country, it's the smart play by the German gov. With the elections coming fast I think this move is more to appease the voters while at the same time does little to damage their intelligence relationship with the US/UK. Will this be enough to satisfy the anger of the German public?

As the article says its more of a symbolic move and will have little repercussions for either country, it's the smart play by the German gov. With the elections coming fast I think this move is more to appease the voters while at the same time does little to damage their intelligence relationship with the US/UK. Will this be enough to satisfy the anger of the German public?

The German public anger at who? Americans? Brits? Their current government?

I would guess...the US, for tapping some 500,000,000 phone calls in Germany.

I would guess...the US, for tapping some 500,000,000 phone calls in Germany.

So the cancellation of the cold war agreement has nothing to do with the election? I don't see how that timing works out. My money would be on the current government being seen as doing something to appease the voters.

The USofA tapped 5 million german phones? How did they find the time....

So the cancellation of the cold war agreement has nothing to do with the election? I don't see how that timing works out. My money would be on the current government being seen as doing something to appease the voters.

The USofA tapped 5 million german phones? How did they find the time....
500 million calls, from various sources within Getmany, mostly political leaders and embacy workers.

They couldn't care less.

who cares.
The pact hasn't been used by a very long time.

Its a good political move in the eyes of the German people, since they were demonstrating against it and will win the coalition some support. Its just an electoral move, nothing big.

That's the problem. Nobody really knows who exactly does what exactly. I am actually most angry at the current German government for completely letting down the German population on our civil rights. Britain, America... well it is a serious violation of the trust that we need to have as allies. And they are pissing on civil rights and the values they claim to stand for. Still, this doesn't make me nearly as angry as Merkel surrendering the German people to foreign surveillance and appearing completely indifferent. Abolishing any pre 1990 laws which limit German sovereignty is necessary but really, that's not the main issue.

Don't blame them a bit. Wouldn't blame them a bit if they severed all ties with US Intel orgs. NSA/etc has jumped the shark and needs smacked.

If any country understands why you don't let the government track everything you do, it's Germany.

Does America need a fascist regime and Holocaust to open our f***ing eyes?

Back
Top Bottom