• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Germany halts approval of gas pipeline Nord Stream 2 after Russia’s actions

Chomsky

Social Democrat
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
Germany on Tuesday halted the certification of the Nord Stream 2 gas pipeline designed to bring natural gas from Russia directly to Europe, after Russian President Vladimir Putin recognized breakaway parts of eastern Ukraine and ordered troops into the region.
Germany’s chancellor, Olaf Scholz, said that his country would not accept the recognition of the two self-proclaimed, pro-Russian separatist regions in the Donbas area of eastern Ukraine

--

[While I was tempted to drop this into the existing Putin 'Peacekeepers' thread, I believe it is important enough to deserve it's own thread]

--

Well, colour me surprised!

I had not imagined such NATO Ally unity at this early juncture. Very good, Germany!

I'm wondering how this, IMO - surprising action, will play into the calculus in Ukraine's consideration to join NATO?

--

Anyway, it's quite a development.

If Putin wants to freely sell gas to Europe, he'd better stop at the separatist territories.

--

[While I was tempted to drop this into the existing Putin 'Peacekeepers' thread, I believe it is important enough to deserve it's own thread]

--

I had not imagined such NATO Ally unity at this early juncture. Very good, Germany!

I'm wondering how this, IMO - surprising action, will play into the calculus in Ukraine's consideration to join NATO?

--

If Putin wants to freely sell gas to Europe, he'd better stop at the separatist territories.
[1] It is totally unacceptable that any area leave "OUR Guys" and either become independent or join "THEIR Guys".

[2] It is a fundamental human right for any area to leave "THEIR Guys" and either become independent or join "OUR Guys".

Both [1] and [2] apply equally to both the United States of America and Russia.

BTW, did Morocco invade the British Empire when it recognized the independence of the United States of America on 20 DEC 1777?

Would this be a surprise to Putin, or does everyone think he already baked this into his strategy as an acceptable outcome?

Would this be a surprise to Putin, or does everyone think he already baked this into his strategy as an acceptable outcome?

No and it was already 'diplomatically proposed.' In other words Biden already threatened it.

It's going to cause $$$ pain in the EU and Putin's betting they wont be able to hold out on the threat.

--

--

--

Definitely a sign of solidarity.

Back
Top Bottom