• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Germany, Allemagne, Tyskland, Deutschland

A rose by any other name would smell as sweet - and so what is your name for Germany?

• Germany

Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Allemagne

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Tyskland

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Germania

• Saksa

• Niemcy

• Duitsland

• Dütsland

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Deutschland

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • some other name

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

Rumpel

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
In this section I have read again and again that everybody MUST call Belarus by the name Belarus, because the people there say so!

Now I wonder how many of those super-clever posters also maintain that Germany MUST be called Deutschland, because the people there say so. :mrgreen:

In this section I have read again and again that everybody MUST call Belarus by the name Belarus, because the people there say so!

Now I wonder how many of those super-clever posters also maintain that Germany MUST be called Deutschland, because the people there say so. :mrgreen:

This must be important to you.
I've never heard Belarus called anything else. What name would you use?
Just off the top of my head, I'd guess the "Rus" in Belarus is the same "Rus" as in Russia.

This must be important to you.

It is just that I find linguistic topics intriguing.

It is for linguistic reasons that I created this poll.

I think we should refer to a given country by its chosen name, just as we do for the people we meet.

I've never heard Belarus called anything else. What name would you use?

When I am speaking in German, I would always say: Weißrussland.
When I am speaking in English, I am not quite sure any more ....
It would really depend on what the majority of the English say.
What the people in Belarus themselves say does not matter. That was and is my point.

I think we should refer to a given country by its chosen name, just as we do for the people we meet.

No - we shouldn't.
Not when we are speaking in our own languages.

Countries are not persons. There is a difference.

A person called "Peter" or "Paul" stays Peter or Paul worldwide.

A country like Germany or Italy or Spain etc etc etc may have different names in different countries.

Q. E. D.

When I am speaking in German, I would always say: Weißrussland.
When I am speaking in English, I am not quite sure any more ....
It would really depend on what the majority of the English say.
What the people in Belarus themselves say does not matter. That was and is my point.

In English, it's Belarus. Has always been, far as I know.
The Rus, if I remember right, were Swedish Vikings and that probably figures into the name, and I've never heard any other name for the country.
To be honest, I probably have only heard the name spoken a half-dozen times in my life.

Would you really call Germany "Deutschland"?
Honestly, now ...

To be honest, I probably have only heard the name spoken a half-dozen times in my life.

Same with me - some time ago.
But now this country is on the news again and again and again.

No - we shouldn't.
Not when we are speaking in our own languages.

Countries are not persons. There is a difference.

A person called "Peter" or "Paul" stays Peter or Paul worldwide.

A country like Germany or Italy or Spain etc etc etc may have different names in different countries.

Q. E. D.
I don't see the point. They've got a name, why change it?

To me as a Dutch person it is "Duitsland", second would be Deutschland (familiar as I am with the German language), then it is Germany (US/English) and last but not least "Allemagme" (French and the language of the Eurovision song contest).

Another question:

Do you say Nuremberg and Cologne and Vienna?
Or do you say Nürnberg and Köln and Wien?

Exactly!
You wouldn't and you shouldn't.

But:

Do you not contradict yourself here?
You totally lost me here, and this seems to be getting too seeped in logical/technical/hypothetical points.

Do you have an overarching point you're getting at, here?

To me as a Dutch person it is "Duitsland", second would be Deutschland (familiar as I am with the German language), then it is Germany (US/English) and last but not least "Allemagme" (French and the language of the Eurovision song contest).

When I am speaking in English, I say Germany.
When I am speaking in French, I say Allemagne.
When I am speaking in Standard German, I say Germany.
And when I am speaking in my own language, I say "Ditschlond".

He is butt hurt because his Belarus poll failed.
No idea. I was thinking perhaps communication issues. Happens sometimes, especially on international boards.

When I am speaking in English, I say Germany.
When I am speaking in French, I say Allemagne.
When I am speaking in Standard German, I say Germany.
And when I am speaking in my own language, I say "Ditschlond".

Why would you says Germany in Standard German? Germany is not a word, it is "Deutschland", it even says so in their country name and the anthem.

Back
Top Bottom