• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

German WW ll Sniper Training Film

APACHERAT

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Video includes 2 training films:

Snipers Field Training: Masters of Camouflage and Deception, Training film for the German Air Force High Command (38 min)

and

Snipers in action: the Unseen Weapon, Training film of the German Army High Command No 668, Spring 1944 (30 min).

German narrator, with English subtitles for those who skated through school and nicht sprechen Deutsch.

Watch and learn. -> Snipers Field Training: Masters of Camouflage and Deception. Snipers in action: the Unseen Weapon

Ya, that could come in real handy for....what? Taking out my neighbors?

The first film would have made finding the sniper a lot easier on this forum. -> < From a place you cannot see comes a sound you cannot hear. >
Wasn't that your thread Moot ?

The first film would have made finding the sniper a lot easier on this forum. -> < From a place you cannot see comes a sound you cannot hear. >
Wasn't that your thread Moot ?
I don't think so...at least it doesn't sound familiar.

Video includes 2 training films:

Snipers Field Training: Masters of Camouflage and Deception, Training film for the German Air Force High Command (38 min)

and

Snipers in action: the Unseen Weapon, Training film of the German Army High Command No 668, Spring 1944 (30 min).

German narrator, with English subtitles for those who skated through school and nicht sprechen Deutsch.

Watch and learn. -> Snipers Field Training: Masters of Camouflage and Deception. Snipers in action: the Unseen Weapon

Do you know if there's training videos available that the red army used for their snipers? I thought they were particularly damaging during the battle of Stalingrad.

I don't think so...at least it doesn't sound familiar.

The first film starts out on how to locate camouflaged enemy snipers.

During WW ll on the Eastern front it was usually sniper vs. sniper. German sniper vs. Bolshevik sniper.

During the Vietnam war, U.S. Marine snipers were deployed to locate and take out NVA and VC snipers.

But the best counter sniper weapons platform ever built was the USMC ONTOS.

Six 106 mm recoilless rifles, four with .50 cal. spotting guns and one M-2 .50 cal heavy machinegun.
ontos_vietnam_700.jpg

The video below shows a Marine ONTOS taking out a NVA sniper position during TET of 68 during the Battle of Hue.

How many remember the Marine ONTOS that was always positioned at the south end of the DaNag air base ?

That video was interesting. It's amazing how precise those ONTOS can get.

Did you see the movie, "Enemy at the Gate"? It's loosely based on true story about Soviet sniper, Vasily Zaitsev and a German sniper trying to take each other out.

Last edited:
Do you know if there's training videos available that the red army used for their snipers? I thought they were particularly damaging during the battle of Stalingrad.

I couldn't find any. But did come across this.

>"The Soviet Union was the only country that had expressly trained sniper units in the decade leading up to the World War Two, and their superiority (with the obvious exception of the top-ranked sniper on this list) is clearly displayed by the numbers beside the names of its marksmen. Expert sharpshooters such as Vasily Zaytsev — who reputedly killed 225 soldiers during the Battle of Stalingrad — proved beyond all doubt their immense value to their military forces during the war. In the aftermath, their importance was never to be underestimated."<

10 Deadliest Snipers of World War II

Should be remembered, until post Vietnam, snipers no matter which side they were on were despised by all soldiers for obvious reasons. True warriors expose themselves and fighting it out.

I'm curious as to how many people here have ever actually shot long distance. By "long" I'm thinking a quarter mile or more. I'm instructing this afternoon on a short range (25m) mostly 22s, a couple of ARs and one 9mm carbine. We no long teach full distance to anyone who is not an instructor for obvious reasons, but it's not as easy as you might think. Even after calculating your drop and windage the steady hold factors are something that takes a lot of practice. I head shot at 500 yards would require a steady hold of about 1/60th of a degree of movement both vertically and horizontally, maintaining the position adjusted for drift, drop and recoil. Nobody is going to become a sniper by watching a couple of videos.

BTW those rifles in the pics, the ones the Russians are using are 90/31 Mosin Nagants. My distance rifle is a highly modified version of one of those. If you,'ve ever spent any time behind one you'd have a much deeper appreciation for what these guys do.

Last edited:
I'm curious as to how many people here have ever actually shot long distance. By "long" I'm thinking a quarter mile or more. I'm instructing this afternoon on a short range (25m) mostly 22s, a couple of ARs and one 9mm carbine. We no long teach full distance to anyone who is not an instructor for obvious reasons, but it's not as easy as you might think. Even after calculating your drop and windage the steady hold factors are something that takes a lot of practice. I head shot at 500 yards would require a steady hold of about 1/60th of a degree of movement both vertically and horizontally, maintaining the position adjusted for drift, drop and recoil. Nobody is going to become a sniper by watching a couple of videos.

BTW those rifles in the pics, the ones the Russians are using are 90/31 Mosin Nagants. My distance rifle is a highly modified version of one of those. If you,'ve ever spent any time behind one you'd have a much deeper appreciation for what these guys do.

Every Marine has to qualify on the Known Range (KR) with his service rifle. The last stage is 500 meters/ 500 yards. The last time I requalified it was with the M-14 and I put 9 out of 10 in the black #5 ring and 1 in the #4 ring.

Before the M-1 Garand was adopted during WW ll, Marines use to qualify out to 600 yards with the 03 Springfield.

You have to remember that this is with open iron sights, not rifle scopes.

If you enter Camp Pendleton from the Las Pulgas gate and drive a few miles along the road you'll find an old 1,000 yard rifle range covered with brush and weeds. This range might have been used for training snipers during WW ll ???

Every Marine has to qualify on the Known Range (KR) with his service rifle. The last stage is 500 meters/ 500 yards. The last time I requalified it was with the M-14 and I put 9 out of 10 in the black #5 ring and 1 in the #4 ring.

Before the M-1 Garand was adopted during WW ll, Marines use to qualify out to 600 yards with the 03 Springfield.

You have to remember that this is with open iron sights, not rifle scopes.

If you enter Camp Pendleton from the Las Pulgas gate and drive a few miles along the road you'll find an old 1,000 yard rifle range covered with brush and weeds. This range might have been used for training snipers during WW ll ???

Some impressive shooting there. I'm relegated to scopes myself for distances past about 50 yards due to astigmatism. In Appleseed we use the old Army Qualifying Test out to 400 yards with reduced sized targets for 25m with 22s. This weekend I had the pleasure of evaluating an old Savage Anschutz Model 10 A (22lr) single shot bolt action. I was shooting 25m and putting 3 shots in a single hole consistently. A really impressive rifle. They were imported from Germany and were available in hardware stores for $59.95 when they first got here. They were imported from 1968 until 1981. For full distance I shoot a highly modified 1932 Mosin Nagant. I shoot with guys who are shooting 500 yards with ARs and M1As and some Garands at 500 yards open sights. I'm honored to be on the line with them.

Some impressive shooting there. I'm relegated to scopes myself for distances past about 50 yards due to astigmatism. In Appleseed we use the old Army Qualifying Test out to 400 yards with reduced sized targets for 25m with 22s. This weekend I had the pleasure of evaluating an old Savage Anschutz Model 10 A (22lr) single shot bolt action. I was shooting 25m and putting 3 shots in a single hole consistently. A really impressive rifle. They were imported from Germany and were available in hardware stores for $59.95 when they first got here. They were imported from 1968 until 1981. For full distance I shoot a highly modified 1932 Mosin Nagant. I shoot with guys who are shooting 500 yards with ARs and M1As and some Garands at 500 yards open sights. I'm honored to be on the line with them.

Many of those old .22 bolt action rifles from the 1950's and 60's like the Remington 510, 511 and 512 Targetmasters are becoming collectors items and will be worth a lot of money.

If you want to go beyond 500 yards like out to 600 yards, the 30-06 Springfield 03, the the old pre 64 Winchester Mod. 70 chambered for the 30-06 can put rounds in the black at that distance with open sights.

I own a Winchester Pre 64 Mod. 70 chambered for the Winch. .270. It's my deer rifle. I wish they would have been chambered for the Winch. .308 back then but they weren't. I replaced the barrel with one that has a muzzle break.

For big bore long range targeting shooting or killing commies the M-1 Garand is my choice and a close second being the Springfield Armory M-1A. The M-1A more preferred for shooting commies. :lol:

We had one guy on that line who shoots 100 yards with an M1A blind. Everybody on this line are Appleseed instructors. He uses the blind fire as a teaching tool. After teaching all the steady hold factors and natural point of aim he will find his NPOA and then have somebody "card" him, holding a clipboard between his eyes and his sights. He sends 5 rounds downrange without being able to see the target, the group every bit as good as if he was looking. Very impressive. I'm nowhere near that good. :lol:

Wow. The guy was just here to pick up that rifle, turns out it is the first production year. He bought it in 1968 from a Woolworth's department store. He was looking to get rid of it as it was "just taking up space in his gun safe" and all his kids and grandkids prefer semi autos. I showed him my 25m target (which he took with him) with several 3 shot groups in a single hole and suggested he choose a deserving grandson to give it to.

Back
Top Bottom